Esteemed Contributor

Re: Here's a message from my Dentist's dental hygeniest:

Thanks for your replies. I've settled down and have decided to simply change hygentists. Hopefully, one of the others will be able to fit me in within the next couple of weeks since I really do need my teeth cleaned (it's been almost 10 months). Ewwww!  I will keep you updated what happens with this saga! 

My DDS is great and have no intention of changing; his son has recently completed Dental College and is now in the same practice. That will make it seamless when my DDS retires. Smiley Wink (I'd rather "stay in the family" than switch to his older partner or begin with another group.) 

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lilysmom  How kind of you to ask.  Smiley Happy 

Returned to my Ortho. Surgeon yesterday. He has given me the OK to stop wearing the brace (probably because I didn't want to wear it anymore and left it in the car). Anyway, I return in three months unless the pain is unbearable or I decide PT would be helpful (which he doesn't feel is a good idea). Otherwise, he feels it will take a full year to heal if it is going to do so.

He feels the Prolia may reverse the Osteoporosis to Osteopenia. Apparently my Osteoporosis isn't as serious as I've been led to believe. (Who knows as this point?)  My Rheumatologist caught it early and began treating it with the first line of defense (Bonevia) several years ago, which helped. The accident is why I'm now on Prolia to strengthen my bones . . . not so horrible a DEXA (which was my understanding from the Rheumatologist), I guess. At this point, I'm kind of getting two different theories. I'll continue with the Prolia injections and find out for sure in two years! Just going to continue with my Dr's. appointments and let them do their jobs. I was too tired to ask any more questions yesterday.

I'm determined to continue living my life (I already have been) and not worry about it. Life is too short to worry about things we cannot control. Spring is finally here in Nebraska and I lugged all my heavy wrought iron patio furniture out of the garage on Sunday! My potted plants have been outside for a couple of weeks. Guess you could say I've been doing stuff with the brace on whether or not I should have been lifting stuff. Seems to me it's good for core strength and muscle tone at four months! Dang, I was sick of that bulky brace.

Honored Contributor

IMO

the message she left is way too full of HER personal biz,  she could have asked to reschedule.

we/you don't care why she's not there and that makes her look flakey to me.

Trusted Contributor

I don't think I've ever had a dentist where the hygenist is scheduled like this. You just saw whatever one was scheduled on the day of your appointment.

Respected Contributor

Very unprofessional.  I had a hairdresser that used to do this.  She had her own shop.   I finally left her after the fourth time she pulled this. 

Highlighted
Respected Contributor

I would leave her a message and let her know I would call back at a later date to reschedule, then simply never call back.  Find another dental hygienist. 

Esteemed Contributor

@pigletsmom  Your post is interesting. All the DDS's I've ever gone to have had their hygentist's schedule with their patients for cleaning and x-rays. I've never switched before; but never had a reason to do so. Today, I feel like I'm not a priority as her patient. As long as I'm paying her $125 for a professional cleaning, I expect to be treated like a priority!

If they (the hygentist) are going on vacation or maternity leave, they hire a substitue to cover in their absence. I'm sure she didn't want to pay a substitute while she spent an unexpected afternoon with her sister. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I’m very understanding with rescheduling.

If something came up on my schedule & I had to reschedule my time,

they would be just as accommodating. Same-Same.

When it comes to the hygienist, more people want the person,

not the service (ie a fill in wouldn’t be satisfactory).

I guess I like my dental staff enough to accommodate when needed.

If it’s not rearranging your life, I think it’s just nothing to fuss over.

Schedule a new time that works & move on.

Respected Contributor

@pigletsmom wrote:

I don't think I've ever had a dentist where the hygenist is scheduled like this. You just saw whatever one was scheduled on the day of your appointment.

The same for me. My dentist works alone and seldom has the same hygienist for any length of time.  I go for cleanings every 4 months and lately have not seen the same hygienist twice.  The only thing I do not like about his practice.

Respected Contributor

We’ve been with our current dental practice since we moved to Virginia almost 40 years ago (we’re on our second dentist, as the original one retired). The hygienist appointments are the hardest ones to schedule, especially since the office is now only open 2 Fridays a month and has 1 short day a week. We schedule our next cleaning appointment before we leave their office to ensure we get a time slot that we prefer. Obviously, issues and problems crop up unexpectedly, but getting together with your sister isn’t a valid reason for expecting a group of patients to reshuffle their day, especially when they’ve got other appointments on their schedule. In our area, most doctor and dental offices close by 6:00 pm. The sisters could have arranged to have dinner together with no adverse impact to her patients.