Esteemed Contributor

Here's a message from my Dentist's dental hygeniest:

Received this messages from one of three dental hygenist's in my DDS's office. She left it on voice mail. I was gone all day and didn't pick it up until after their office had closed.

At first I laughed at the craziness of it; then decided it wasn't professional at all. Was this a "gutsy" message for her to leave?

Have about decided to change to another hygentist (they have three in the office) who is reliable with her schedules, although don't want to cause friction between employees. (I don't know her well enough to know what her reaction would be to the other employee.)   

Good morning, ________!  Just thought I'd call and ask if you would mind rescheduling your appointment Thursday afternoon? My sister and I have decided to get together. Would 11:00 AM on May 27th work for you? Please call back if that doesn't work and we'll set up another time slot."

It's a good thing I received it after 5:00 PM!  Heck no, it's not OK with me. My original appointment was in December. She canceled to go "home" to visit her husbands' family a few days prior to the holidays. So I rescheduled for the first week in January. I had to cancel that appointment due to my fractured back. 

If she "decides to get together with her sister" . . . do it on her own time. I have a full day of other Dr's. appointments scheduled one right after the other on Thursday. All the offices are on the same busy street and it's an easy way to avoid having to drive across town several different times.

If it had been an emergency or one of her kids had been sick, I'd gladly change my appointment OR she would have had a substitute hygeniest fill in during her absence. 

Since my appointment is for 1:00 PM, I would imagine she originally had a full afternoon of appointments that she's rescheduling!  I really want my teeth cleaned and x-rayed since it's way past six months. 

BTW: Notice this is, again, just before a holiday? Coincidence? IDK.  

Money screams; wealth whispers.
Honored Contributor

Re: Here's a message from my Dentist's dental hygeniest:

It's a bit unprofessional.  I'd switch hygienists and not think twice about it.

Honored Contributor

I'd change hygienists and never look back.  You dont owe her an explanation in case she's too dense to figure it out for herself.  I'd probably also call the office manager and advise her as to what I was doing and why.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady wrote:

Good morning, ________!  Just thought I'd call and ask if you would mind rescheduling your appointment Thursday afternoon? My sister and I have decided to get together. Would 11:00 AM on May 27th work for you? Please call back if that doesn't work and we'll set up another time slot."

Sounds like you're going to be rescheduled whether it's okay or not, she's not going to be around on Thursday afternoon.

Trusted Contributor

@BirkiLady  Wow! I’ve never had that happen, so far, but agree with you that it’s not okay. It really depends how much you like your dentist. Change??  Do you think calling and ask for the dentist to call you back to discuss this with him/her being that this has happened before and you have a schedule to keep also. I wouldn’t be happy about that either. 

F/N/A luvstogarden
Respected Contributor

If I liked the dentist, I'd call the front desk person and tell them that X cancelled your appointment a couple times and was there another hygienist who could fit you in.

Honored Contributor

@BirkiLady What a flake! I'd change and not give it a thought.

If you are asked why, just tell whoever that "she" is undependable and it's not convenient for you to put up with her "time problems".

Valued Contributor

<sigh> I understand how annoying you find this Birkilady because I have the same problem with my dental hygienist. I would say she changes roughly a third do a half of the appointments. The ones the week before a holiday always seem to get rescheduled. And she's always running at least 45 minutes late--even when my appointment is at 8 in the morning! Cat Frustrated

But she's really REALLY good. And I do like her. I've gone to other hygienists in the office (when our planets don't allign Cat Frustrated ) but they don't do nearly as good or thorough a job cleaning my problem teeth as she does. So I grit my teeth and stick with her. I figure keeping my teeth and gums healthy are more important than my irritation. 

I suggest that if she starts to shuffle appointments routinely you should talk to the dentist about it. 

I've actually considered changing dental clinics because of all the appointment shuffling. Not just by the hygienist but by the clinic. For instance they'll call me repeatedly earlier in the day to try to convince me to come in earlier in the day so they can keep their schedule full. I don't mind one call, but when they call 3 times...no, that is bothersome and unprofessional. 

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

I would have a chat with the dentist.  Don't call the front office.  They aren't in charge.

Talk to the dentist.  You shouldn't be treated so lightly as a paying customer.

A lot of us are going to have to buck up and mention stuff like this in the future, or decide to be doormats.

Esteemed Contributor

@BirkiLady , the problem with this is that she is doing what works for her, not you.  I would switch.

How are you doing?  Is your back fully recovered?  Hoping you’re at the top of your game to welcome Spring in.  LM