Honored Contributor
On 11/19/2014 brii said:

I'm sure your daughter can help you get dressed.

I understand about the pain killers. Can you try ice and then heat?

Ice is for bones, heat for muscles. I've never used ice for muscles as it cramps me up even more.

Yes, my daughter will help. Thanks brii.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor
On 11/19/2014 gulf coast girl said:

Oh I am sorry to hear this as well, been there, done that many times. My back is my own worst enemy. You have my prayers for quick healing. May you enjoy your holidays in spite of your back.

Nobody knows except those who get chronic back pain how painful and frustrating it is. Ugh.

Thank you for your good wishes.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor
On 11/19/2014 imaclotheshog said:

{#emotions_dlg.sad} Sorry Ford, I feel your pain I really do. This has happened to me and it is terrible. I hope you get some relief. Don't be angry, it will just make your pain worse. Try to relax. Make yourself some hot tea and take it easy until your appointment. ((hugs))

Thanks so much. Many of us cope with this. It strikes like lightning, no warning, and then weeks and weeks of misery. {#emotions_dlg.thumbdown}

Formerly Ford1224
Respected Contributor

Ford so sorry to read that you are hurting hope you get some help today. May I suggest that several family members are having back problems and have found a Dr. who has treated them with a laser treatment. they said they can't believe how much relief this laser treatment has given them. the Dr. explained how this works and I now have some family members who think this has been the best thing that has happened to them.

Valued Contributor
On 11/19/2014 cater said:

Ford so sorry to read that you are hurting hope you get some help today. May I suggest that several family members are having back problems and have found a Dr. who has treated them with a laser treatment. they said they can't believe how much relief this laser treatment has given them. the Dr. explained how this works and I now have some family members who think this has been the best thing that has happened to them.

cater, obviously I'm not Ford, but I am interested in this "laser" thing. Can you supply any other info about this, say a website or something? Thanks.

Honored Contributor
On 11/19/2014 cater said:

I will ask doc about this. Thank you.

Formerly Ford1224
Super Contributor

What about muscle relaxants? And heat?

Esteemed Contributor

As a person with spondylolisthesis (spine) and various other maladies who has a sister for a physical therapist, I can tell you that ice is for inflammation, not just bones. In certain instances, although you might think ice is not best, it actually is in the early moments of a pull or injury...depending on its location. I learned this the hard way.

I feel your pain. Because of my condition, severe back spasms that drive me to my knees can hit at any time -- and some respond better to cold than to heat.

Best wishes to you to feel better soon -- you're right, no one who doesn't have chronic back pain or problems doesn't know what it's like.

Trusted Contributor

I went through this once and I wouldn't wish it on my worst enemy! I honestly thought I would never walk normally again. I could only crawl for the first couple of days and couldn't do steps for weeks. It did take at least two months and then I was so scared to move, afraid I would do something again.

Best wishes to you Ford and anyone else who has experienced this.

{#emotions_dlg.sad}

KJPA
Honored Contributor

Hi Ford1224,

Sorry to hear about this back issue. Dealt with cervical and lumbar myself, still am, and they are not something I like to see anyone have to endure.

Everyone is different for sure, but with bone and or muscle injuries, when it comes to my own experiences, I go with ice for all of them. If you know it makes your problem worse go with what you know works the best for you.

Don't let this completely ruin your holidays.

My best to you,

hckynut(john)