Honored Contributor
On 11/20/2014 hyacinth003 said:

Hope you feel better soon.

Hyacinth

Thanks Hyacinth.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor
On 11/19/2014 Sammycat1 said:

As a person with spondylolisthesis (spine) and various other maladies who has a sister for a physical therapist, I can tell you that ice is for inflammation, not just bones. In certain instances, although you might think ice is not best, it actually is in the early moments of a pull or injury...depending on its location. I learned this the hard way.

I feel your pain. Because of my condition, severe back spasms that drive me to my knees can hit at any time -- and some respond better to cold than to heat.

Best wishes to you to feel better soon -- you're right, no one who doesn't have chronic back pain or problems doesn't know what it's like.

My 27 year old daughter has recently been diagnosed with this. She does not have the back pain though. She has more peripheral symptoms, like knee and ankle pain, and plantar fasciitis. She is in pain every day. She is on her third regime of medication. Nothing has helped so far.

Wondering what you do for the pain and such.

Hyacinth Smile

Highlighted
Respected Contributor
On 11/20/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 11/20/2014 CouponQueen said:

If I recall you have been on Prednisone for many many years..you do know all the side effects of long term use of that medication...Fractures are really very common with long term use..

I myself have severe back issues..my MRI reads like a medical text book..

I def sympathize with ANYBODY with any type of back issues/pain.

Ice/Heat both work! The rule of thumb my MD told me is if it feels good when you rub it..it is muscle!

Best of luck!

I kinda had a double whammy. Both my beloved mother and sister, now gone from cancer, also had osteoporosis and neither was on prednisone or any other kind of steroid. So it runs in the family. On top of that, yes, I was prescribed and took prednisone for RA and am still taking it at 6 mg per day. 6 mg seems to be the lowest I can go. So it is my own fault that my osteoporosis is just about as severe as it can get. I asked about doing another dexa scan and he said I can if I want to, but it's for naught because my numbers are already off the charts.

I have used ice/heat, but for some reason my ortho doc doesn't want me on ice this time. I do know when he put his thumb on the spot where it is fractured, I nearly jumped to the ceiling. So even before he took the x-ray, he probably knew it was bone and not muscle, and I did too.

Thanks for your good wishes . . . and back to you with my good wishes also.

My mother had severe (doctor said it was the worst he had seen) osteoporosis. She had 3 fractures (really complex). She had never taken prednisone, and was on estrogen from age 50. She did fall (she had MS) which caused the fractures.

My husband had 2 stress fractures in both lower leg bones at the ankles. In the first one, all he did was use his foot to hold a door open for a co-worker. The second one just occurred near the end of the healing of the first one. I have told you he took prednisone for RA. I blame his doctor for not ordering a bone density test due to using prednisone.

It is hard for some people to believe you can have a fracture from doing something really minor.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor
On 11/20/2014 Ford1224 said:
On 11/20/2014 CouponQueen said:

If I recall you have been on Prednisone for many many years..you do know all the side effects of long term use of that medication...Fractures are really very common with long term use..

I myself have severe back issues..my MRI reads like a medical text book..

I def sympathize with ANYBODY with any type of back issues/pain.

Ice/Heat both work! The rule of thumb my MD told me is if it feels good when you rub it..it is muscle!

Best of luck!

I kinda had a double whammy. Both my beloved mother and sister, now gone from cancer, also had osteoporosis and neither was on prednisone or any other kind of steroid. So it runs in the family. On top of that, yes, I was prescribed and took prednisone for RA and am still taking it at 6 mg per day. 6 mg seems to be the lowest I can go. So it is my own fault that my osteoporosis is just about as severe as it can get. I asked about doing another dexa scan and he said I can if I want to, but it's for naught because my numbers are already off the charts.

I have used ice/heat, but for some reason my ortho doc doesn't want me on ice this time. I do know when he put his thumb on the spot where it is fractured, I nearly jumped to the ceiling. So even before he took the x-ray, he probably knew it was bone and not muscle, and I did too.

Thanks for your good wishes . . . and back to you with my good wishes also.

My mother had severe (doctor said it was the worst he had seen) osteoporosis. She had 3 fractures (really complex). She had never taken prednisone, and was on estrogen from age 50. She did fall (she had MS) which caused the fractures.

My husband had 2 stress fractures in both lower leg bones at the ankles. In the first one, all he did was use his foot to hold a door open for a co-worker. The second one just occurred near the end of the healing of the first one. I have told you he took prednisone for RA. I blame his doctor for not ordering a bone density test due to using prednisone.

It is hard for some people to believe you can have a fracture from doing something really minor.

Hyacinth

So true! I did have one fall, but most of my fractures have occurred with a simple sneeze or cough, believe it or not (and I know you do). Then these "nighttime events" which obviously I have no control over. When your bones are bad, well, that's what's holding up your body. Pretty serious stuff, I would say.

You say your mom had MS. I believe autoimmune diseases cause a lot of havoc in anyone's body and wind up making people really sick in one way or another. Yet there is very little research done on the causes of autoimmune diseases.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Super Contributor

As a person with spondylolisthesis (spine) and various other maladies who has a sister for a physical therapist, I can tell you that ice is for inflammation, not just bones. In certain instances, although you might think ice is not best, it actually is in the early moments of a pull or injury...depending on its location. I learned this the hard way.

I feel your pain. Because of my condition, severe back spasms that drive me to my knees can hit at any time -- and some respond better to cold than to heat.

Best wishes to you to feel better soon -- you're right, no one who doesn't have chronic back pain or problems doesn't know what it's like.

My 27 year old daughter has recently been diagnosed with this. She does not have the back pain though. She has more peripheral symptoms, like knee and ankle pain, and plantar fasciitis. She is in pain every day. She is on her third regime of medication. Nothing has helped so far.

Hyacinth Smile

Hyacinth, my son has this and started 3 weeks ago on Humira. He loves it! He is running again and is no longer in pain at all. Something to look in to...

Ford, I emailed you. How's it going?? Hope you're feeling better. (( ))

Honored Contributor
On 11/21/2014 FATCATinCT said:

Hyacinth Smile

Hyacinth, my son has this and started 3 weeks ago on Humira. He loves it! He is running again and is no longer in pain at all. Something to look in to...

Ford, I emailed you. How's it going?? Hope you're feeling better. (( ))

I came, I saw, I answered, LOL.{#emotions_dlg.biggrin}

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor

Feeling so sorry for you Ford. I know you were looking forward to a Thanksgiving visit with your niece.