Valued Contributor

Are you saying that just from stretching while laying in bed you fractured a vertebrae, OMG ? Seriously, this makes me want to never stretch again. I tend to get those gawd awful charley horse cramps in my lower legs when I stretch in bed and it will hurt for days. You poor thing. I sure hope you get to feeling better soon.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor
On 11/20/2014 brii said:

Ford, I am so sorry to hear you have a fracture.

That just really stinks.

Thanks, brii.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Respected Contributor

Ford, I am so sorry...hope your healing goes well.

Nowhere near your issue, but I have a knee that sometimes will slip just slightly out of joint if I get up wrong or stretch my leg in bed. Hurts like heck, and requires a cane for walking for a day or so, and I have to sleep in the recliner. Then all of a sudden it will "pop" back into place. Goes with my arthritis, the doc says.

People without any bone/joint/muscle issues just don't really understand!

Honored Contributor
On 11/20/2014 gulf coast girl said:

Are you saying that just from stretching while laying in bed you fractured a vertebrae, OMG ? Seriously, this makes me want to never stretch again. I tend to get those gawd awful charley horse cramps in my lower legs when I stretch in bed and it will hurt for days. You poor thing. I sure hope you get to feeling better soon.

Yep. When I stretch while awake, I can prevent something like this. But the last two times I have broken vertebrae (the time before this was the lower spine, four vertebrae involved), it has been while in bed. This time I felt it happen, last time I awoke and realized I couldn't get out of bed, couldn't walk and had to be hospitalized. So this time it's a little easier to cope with. I can walk at least.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986
Honored Contributor
On 11/20/2014 vermint said:

Ford, I am so sorry...hope your healing goes well.

Nowhere near your issue, but I have a knee that sometimes will slip just slightly out of joint if I get up wrong or stretch my leg in bed. Hurts like heck, and requires a cane for walking for a day or so, and I have to sleep in the recliner. Then all of a sudden it will "pop" back into place. Goes with my arthritis, the doc says.

People without any bone/joint/muscle issues just don't really understand!

No, they don't.

Thank you for your good wishes.

Formerly Ford1224
Honored Contributor
Ford, sending good wishes for a quick recovery your way. I fell a few years ago, and the result was a compression fracture. Back pain is terrible, as you know all to well. I do hope you will be better soon.
Valued Contributor

Ford that is just the strangest thing to hear, thank god that yes you still are able to walk. I hate to hear about anyone having pain in their body, it's just so miserable to be hurting. You have my continued prayers. I slipped and fell almost 3 months ago, haven't been able to walk normally yet. I ended up getting 2 shots in my knee but it hasn't really helped much at all. Now I go to physical therapy....I just want to walk again like normally. We have to take care of these bodies, it's all we have. Take care!

Respected Contributor

If I recall you have been on Prednisone for many many years..you do know all the side effects of long term use of that medication...Fractures are really very common with long term use..

I myself have severe back issues..my MRI reads like a medical text book..

I def sympathize with ANYBODY with any type of back issues/pain.

Ice/Heat both work! The rule of thumb my MD told me is if it feels good when you rub it..it is muscle!

Best of luck!

Honored Contributor
On 11/20/2014 CouponQueen said:

If I recall you have been on Prednisone for many many years..you do know all the side effects of long term use of that medication...Fractures are really very common with long term use..

I myself have severe back issues..my MRI reads like a medical text book..

I def sympathize with ANYBODY with any type of back issues/pain.

Ice/Heat both work! The rule of thumb my MD told me is if it feels good when you rub it..it is muscle!

Best of luck!

I kinda had a double whammy. Both my beloved mother and sister, now gone from cancer, also had osteoporosis and neither was on prednisone or any other kind of steroid. So it runs in the family. On top of that, yes, I was prescribed and took prednisone for RA and am still taking it at 6 mg per day. 6 mg seems to be the lowest I can go. So it is my own fault that my osteoporosis is just about as severe as it can get. I asked about doing another dexa scan and he said I can if I want to, but it's for naught because my numbers are already off the charts.

I have used ice/heat, but for some reason my ortho doc doesn't want me on ice this time. I do know when he put his thumb on the spot where it is fractured, I nearly jumped to the ceiling. So even before he took the x-ray, he probably knew it was bone and not muscle, and I did too.

Thanks for your good wishes . . . and back to you with my good wishes also.

Formerly Ford1224
Respected Contributor

Hope you feel better soon.

Hyacinth