Respected Contributor

Re: Hep C test for baby boomers ages 51-69

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

More scare tactics from the drug companies.  This is just like the Shingles scare, had to get that shot.  But what the DID NOT tell you that it only works in 50% of people.  I would only worry about Hep C, if you were very sexually active with mutliple partners or a needle drug user.  Other than that, Im not going to worry about it.

@ImaoldhippieAs I mentioned in a previous post I know people who were dx w/HepC and have/had lived lives of the pure straight and narrow.

Anyone exposed to blood products in the military or blood transfusions is at risk. Millions of people who are IV drug users are dead and multiple sex partners is only 25% of all HepC diagnoses.

It helps to do some reading on the subject.

Honored Contributor

@maestra wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

More scare tactics from the drug companies.  This is just like the Shingles scare, had to get that shot.  But what the DID NOT tell you that it only works in 50% of people.  I would only worry about Hep C, if you were very sexually active with mutliple partners or a needle drug user.  Other than that, Im not going to worry about it.

@ImaoldhippieAs I mentioned in a previous post I know people who were dx w/HepC and have/had lived lives of the pure straight and narrow.

Anyone exposed to blood products in the military or blood transfusions is at risk. Millions of people who are IV drug users are dead and multiple sex partners is only 25% of all HepC diagnoses.

It helps to do some reading on the subject.

It's still unnecessary scare tactics on the part of the drug company to try and make people who have no reason (physical, laboratory or history-wise) to believe they ever had this disease now fear that they have it, and have had it for decades. It's an irresponsible (at a minimum) fabrication to suggest that all baby boomers be tested for this disease because "so many" have it.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

@maestra Yes I totally agree, I was speaking in general.  But they are targeting boomers just as they do with shingles using scare tactics.

BE THE PERSON YOUR DOG THINKS YOU ARE! (unknown)
Contributor

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

50% is good with something as painful and possibly permanently nerve damaging as shingles tho and the vaccine can also limit severity and duration if you do get shingles. It's a terrible illness full blown. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Wonder if insurance covers the test.....

@SeaMaiden

Mine did. I was tested to rule it out as my Mother died of liver disease, the cause of which was undiagnosed - she never drank, or used needles, so it was to assure I hadn't caught it from her.

Another reason is that now there is a 'cure'.

I'm not a boomer, but the CDC estimates that 250,000 boomers have undiagnosed Hep C.

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@phindell82 wrote:

@Imaoldhippie wrote:

50% is good with something as painful and possibly permanently nerve damaging as shingles tho and the vaccine can also limit severity and duration if you do get shingles. It's a terrible illness full blown. 

I look at the shingles vaccine very differently. I am of the demographic (those who had chicken pox) who are the most likely to get shingles. I was fully aware before I received it that it's only 50-60% effective (depending on your age when you get it). That's never been a secret, at least to me. I like a 50-50 chance I won't get it, not to mention a lighter case if I do get it. Either way, I'm one up on those who don't get the vaccine. And unlike the hep c medication, my shingles vaccination didn't cost me a cent.

Shingles may not kill you, as hep C might, but it can have, as you say, some very serious lingering effects that are painfully incapacitating.

Shingles vaccine, flu shots, etc. There's no downside to getting them even if they don't have a perfect result.

Honored Contributor

@Drythe wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Wonder if insurance covers the test.....

@SeaMaiden

Mine did. I was tested to rule it out as my Mother died of liver disease, the cause of which was undiagnosed - she never drank, or used needles. so it was to assure I hadn't caught it from her.

Another reason is thea now there is a cure.

I'm not a boomer, but the CDC estimates that 250,000 boomers have undiagnosed Hep C.

@Drythe  Thankyou for your post.  I did have the test done last week during my blood work up at my physical checkup.  It came back negative. So now no concerns.

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

GOOD NEWS!

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@BeccaLou wrote:

@millieshopsWhat's up with Doctors determinig we could have Hep C? And what could have happen they we could have gotten this? Also this scary virus that kids somehow needs shots , both boys and girls for humanPapolova virus? This keeps up, creations will end. How could life go on with a condom?

OMG.  WT*?????