Esteemed Contributor

For a long time my hemoglobin levels were between 8.5 and 11.  Since I am a life-time blood donor, I eat lots of spinach and kale.  If I need an extra boost, I add raisins, which is not my preference because of the sugar level.  That allows me to get the level up to 12.5, which is required to give blood.

The next time that I hear salt and ice together, it better be in a margarita!
Honored Contributor

Last year, after surgery and chemo, I was started on a coure of radiation. My sainted oncologist, at the start of chemo, told me to take iron (ferrous sulfate) 2X a day and to take Vitamin C at the same  time, as this helps the ferrous sulfate/iron work better.

It has helped me TREMENDOUSLY but if you have questions it's best to talk to your doctor. Only your doctor knows YOUR medical history and needs.

Esteemed Contributor

11.6 is not low for a mature woman. Believe me, I know low, having been hospitalized twice for acute anemia due to prolonged internal bleeding combined with stubbornness.

In fact, 11.6 suggests Doc is looking at something else, since I was taken off iron when I was consistently at/above 11.

I've never heard of someone needing iron supplements being dosed only twice a week. Sounds like Doc is ruling out a possibility, as a good Doc should.

Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@hondagirl

I have had many Iron Infusions, and tons of blood transfusions. Some because of being Anemic from blood loss, others because my Iron Ferritin Levels were/are way too low. 

The only thing that helps keep both my Hemoglobin(14 and above) and Iron Ferritin Levels(higher than 32) in a good range for me, has been the Vitamin B-12 Injection 1 time a month.

For many an 11.6 Hemoglobin is a low number, for some they are happy with that number, as are their doctors. Even higher Hemoglobin numbers(for me like a 13.5), does not correlate with not needing an Iron Infusion. I've needed them with my Hemoglobin numbers low and good, for me anyways.

Never taken Iron Supplements, but I do know that some people(my wife for 1) that cannot tolerate even a low dosage number. She too gets Iron Infusions when her Iron Ferritin levels get too low, and she also gets a monthly B-12 shot. 

hn

I was told in the future I may need iron infusions & that they're painful...is that true? During a blood transfusion they had to do something called a push & it hurt like heck, they said the iron infusions are worst. Hope you don't mind me asking & it isn't to personal to share.

Honored Contributor

I also have been receiving a series of B12 injections. My anemia was caused largely due to chemo. I'm getting better all the time and I thank God for my wonderful doctors, every one of them.

Honored Contributor

11.6 is not a bad hemoglobin. I have kidney disease and if mine stays above 9 my doctor is telling me how well I'm doing. Just look up what foods are high in iron - like spinach . I eat some spinach almost every day - usually raw in salads or on my sandwich for lunch.

Respected Contributor

Durng chemo, my hg was at 7.7; I began to faint daily.

Chemo changes and adding wheatgrass to diet helped almost immediately.

Honored Contributor

@kitcat51

No, your question is not too personal. I am happy to share most of my many medical events with those interested. If you have ever had an IV inserted into your arm, that is the extent of anything close to pain, at least for myself, and my wife.

As I mentioned in another post in this thread, I have had over 125+ blood transfusions, and lots of Iron infusions. I have no idea what "called a PUSH" even means. The only thing to me that resembles a "push" is when the IV is inserted into my arm. Sure, some nurses are better than others, but I have never experienced what I call "pain" from the many hundreds I have had inserted into my body.

With Iron Infusions they have to keep a closer eye on the patient's vitals during the Infusion than with a Blood Transfusion. Some have been known to have an allergic reaction to the Iron, so Pulse Rate/Blood Pressure and Oxygen Saturation readings are checked regularly during the Infusion.

Anything else feel free to ask.

hn

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Years ago I had to take ferrous sulfate (iron) to cure my low iron problem. I welcomed taking them to cure my horrible symptoms I was plagued with. I had absolutely no issues taking them.

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@kitcat51

No, your question is not too personal. I am happy to share most of my many medical events with those interested. If you have ever had an IV inserted into your arm, that is the extent of anything close to pain, at least for myself, and my wife.

As I mentioned in another post in this thread, I have had over 125+ blood transfusions, and lots of Iron infusions. I have no idea what "called a PUSH" even means. The only thing to me that resembles a "push" is when the IV is inserted into my arm. Sure, some nurses are better than others, but I have never experienced what I call "pain" from the many hundreds I have had inserted into my body.

With Iron Infusions they have to keep a closer eye on the patient's vitals during the Infusion than with a Blood Transfusion. Some have been known to have an allergic reaction to the Iron, so Pulse Rate/Blood Pressure and Oxygen Saturation readings are checked regularly during the Infusion.

Anything else feel free to ask.

hn

Goodness, you & your wife have been through alot & I appreciate your time answering my question. The push I mentioned is a fluid they inject into the IV so the blood flows quicker during the transfusion, it makes the blood feel scalding hot & it hurts...I needed the push for the last 2 units of blood they had to get into me before a medical procedure. I'm relieved your experience with the iron infusion doesn't sound anything like the push, having an IV inserted is easy for me. I do get hives when I get blood, it doesn't happen until halfway through the 2nd unit, I tell them ahead of time but I'm dismissed & they insist any reaction will happen with this first unit but I prove them wrong with hives head to toe. I've worried about the infusions so Thank You for sharing. I wish you & your wife well, your kindness is deeply appreciated. Sorry for the small print, I couldn't get the print size larger & not sure if it's my tablet or a Q issue.