Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help!!! Serious pain after pedicure ugh

I work for a Podiatrist and I can't believe you saw this woman again. Actually I can't believe anybody would even go and get pedicures. This is a prime example why I never got one in my life. I hear my Podiatrist all the time say not to get pedicures and if you do, make sure they cut straight across AND NEVER HAVE THEM DIG IN THE CORNERS AND CUT. You need to get to an urgent care center or go to your nearest Podiatrist so they can undue the damage made by having a pedicure for vanity!!!! Good Luck.

Honored Contributor

I'm so glad I do my own nails!!!!

"Pure Michigan"
Respected Contributor

Oh that is horrible, hope you followed the advise here and went to the ER and get started on an antibiotic. I would report that salon to the Health Dept. also. Sounds like their place need to be checked for sterilization. You're probably not the only one with this issue. Feel better soon. Try wearing an opened toe slipper or a flat sandal on the plane.

Honored Contributor

I know a lady who almost lost her foot due to a Staph infection after getting a manicure. You have to find someone you really trust and who really knows what they are doing or the consequences can be horrific.

Esteemed Contributor

I wonder how she is doing. I hope she went to the ER

Trusted Contributor

On 12/21/2014 BlingQueen022 said:

I work for a Podiatrist and I can't believe you saw this woman again. Actually I can't believe anybody would even go and get pedicures. This is a prime example why I never got one in my life. I hear my Podiatrist all the time say not to get pedicures and if you do, make sure they cut straight across AND NEVER HAVE THEM DIG IN THE CORNERS AND CUT. You need to get to an urgent care center or go to your nearest Podiatrist so they can undue the damage made by having a pedicure for vanity!!!! Good Luck.

I was shocked that she went back to the nail salon, too. Would you like some more bacteria with that infection? {#emotions_dlg.scared}

I stopped getting pedicures because of an infected toe following a salon pedicure. My doctor had to lance my toe and squeeze the pus out before putting me on antibiotics. It was excruciating but the relief was almost immediate. Go to the doctor ASAP! And start doing your own mani/pedis!

Good luck.

Honored Contributor

On 12/20/2014 homedecor1 said: I'm hoping there is a medical person on here this late! I returned to my nail tech today (Vietnamese) because had pedicure this past Thursday my big toe inside is so sore, throbbing and can't even let the sheets touch it! She tells me the skin has grown under the nail and I need another cutting to correct it. She is "correcting it" and the pain is excruciating to the point I feel like I'm going to vomit or pass out. She stops and puts a numbing agent on it It's now 1:00 am (went at 1pm) and the pain/throbbing is do painful I'm sitting here with ice wrapped around my toe. I can't even let the sheet touch it I cry out in pain, took Tylenol, epson salt soaked it & worse part I have a 7:15 am flight so I need to get some sleep & put a shoe on as I'm going north to cold weather. Any suggestions please I'm desperate at this hour and once I get to nj Sunday I'll go to a walk in urgent care!

OP, Your manicurist isn't a medical doctor ....... and you need to keep in mind that, when it comes to your body, that PAIN IS INFORMATION ...........

You may have had a problem that the manicurist exacerbated it .... or may have caused it ......... just get to a doctor or podiatrist ASAP. {#emotions_dlg.crying}

Super Contributor

I hope you went to an urgent care or emergency center. This sounds as if it could be an infection. And when you read about the sanitary conditions (or lack thereof) at even the fanciest salons, it would be no surprise if that's what you have. Why people insist on letting someone with no medical background cut and gouge at their feet I don't know. Please, if you want your fingernails and toenails painted, enameled, whatever and don't want to do it yourself, at least do your own trimming and filing. And if you need someone to cut your toenails because you have some disability and can't manage it yourself, go to a podiatrist. Please.

Respected Contributor

Keep us posted and let us know what happens.

As an off side I just saw a derm about a small skin cancer and showed her my lifting finger nails. She said the damage was permanent from years of abuse by professional manicures. I am talking wraps and acrylics. Not that they were done by dirty salons or anything..just that the artificial tips and acrylics pull on the nail bed and eventually it scars. The good news is there is no fungus or anything.

Respected Contributor

ps...why do these things always seem to happen during the holidays when you are traveling and have a million things to do? I hope you are better.