Honored Contributor

Help!!! Serious pain after pedicure ugh

I'm hoping there is a medical person on here this late! I returned to my nail tech today (Vietnamese) because had pedicure this past Thursday my big toe inside is so sore, throbbing and can't even let the sheets touch it! She tells me the skin has grown under the nail and I need another cutting to correct it. She is "correcting it" and the pain is excruciating to the point I feel like I'm going to vomit or pass out. She stops and puts a numbing agent on it It's now 1:00 am (went at 1pm) and the pain/throbbing is do painful I'm sitting here with ice wrapped around my toe. I can't even let the sheet touch it I cry out in pain, took Tylenol, epson salt soaked it & worse part I have a 7:15 am flight so I need to get some sleep & put a shoe on as I'm going north to cold weather. Any suggestions please I'm desperate at this hour and once I get to nj Sunday I'll go to a walk in urgent care!
Contributor

Re: Help!!! Serious pain after pedicure ugh

Urgent care, yes. Can you not go tonight? It sounds like you may not get any sleep tonight anyway.

Respected Contributor

I agree. The last thing you need is your foot swelling on the plane!

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Super Contributor

Unfortunately, I don't think there is anything anyone can tell you that will make it better other than going to an ER/urgent care type setting (mind you this is coming from a health care professional).

It sounds to be a very infected ingrown toe nail. If after you soaked it in Epsom salts and tried to cut the nail out, you didn't succeed, the odds are a professional needs to take it out.

I am uncomfortable that your nail tech is trying to "correct" your problem. There are multiple varying factors here:

1) If your tech made an open wound and the foot bath wasn't clean to begin with

2) Most NSS (non standard salons) do not practice standard hygiene for sterilizing their tools. If a tool was used to cut skin that was not properly sanitized...

3) Your nail tech should probably not take it upon herself to correct your deeply ingrown toe nail, especially if you are not familiar with the process. It is a completely different story if the hangover nail is not down near the quick.

If you do end up going to an ER, which I suggest, you do need to take your bill to the salon, provided your toe was not in this state when you walked in for your pedicure.

Super Contributor

Homedecor, Do you know if this was a discount salon? Are you familiar with their sterilizing and cleaning procedures?

Honored Contributor

Excruciating pain is a strong indicator that a person should seek immediate medical care. I urge you to seek medical care tonight. You could have an infection that will spread. My best to you.
Esteemed Contributor

On 12/21/2014 Sablesong said:

Urgent care, yes. Can you not go tonight? It sounds like you may not get any sleep tonight anyway.

Was it at all sore before the pedi? If not, go now and I do mean right now. No way this should hurt that bad . Some "super bugs" cause pain that is more than expected for the extent of the injury.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Super Contributor

Definitely go to E.R. Especially with the holidays coming. You may need an anti biotic for the infection...that I assume you may have. I don't have pedicures or manicures for this reason alone. Best wishes to you!

Esteemed Contributor

Why would you go back to this nail salon instead of going to a real doctor?? That made no sense. She may have infected your toe in the first place-- now it sounds like she made it worse. I would not let someone work on my toe if it was hurt in the first place. Sorry, I think you made a bad judgement call. Who knows what is happening with your toe now!!!!

For mild cases, soaking the foot in warm water with Epsom salts and keeping the nail covered with an antibiotic ointment and Band-Aid may help. Many times, it may be necessary for the patient to undergo surgery to remove the part of the nail either temporarily or permanently.

Frequent Contributor

Go to the ER you may need antibiotics and they can give you something for the pain..do not wait... I am a nurse!go!