Highlighted
Honored Contributor

Re: Help!!! Serious pain after pedicure ugh

On 12/20/2014 homedecor1 said: I'm hoping there is a medical person on here this late! I returned to my nail tech today (Vietnamese) because had pedicure this past Thursday my big toe inside is so sore, throbbing and can't even let the sheets touch it! She tells me the skin has grown under the nail and I need another cutting to correct it. She is "correcting it" and the pain is excruciating to the point I feel like I'm going to vomit or pass out. She stops and puts a numbing agent on it It's now 1:00 am (went at 1pm) and the pain/throbbing is do painful I'm sitting here with ice wrapped around my toe. I can't even let the sheet touch it I cry out in pain, took Tylenol, epson salt soaked it & worse part I have a 7:15 am flight so I need to get some sleep & put a shoe on as I'm going north to cold weather. Any suggestions please I'm desperate at this hour and once I get to nj Sunday I'll go to a walk in urgent care!

Don't know about your cause but the pain you describe is what runners call "black toenail". In this there is blood under the nail and until it is released(lanced or poked open to let the blood release) the pressure keeps building along with the level of pain.

I've had many of them and as you say "even a sheet causes a lot of pain". I don't know your problem and I am only comparing the pain levels. If you haven't been to a Podiatrist by now, I suggest you do so.

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Well thank you everyone after a all-nighter of pain & no sleep I arrived in NJ safely. Upon arrival I went to a Urgent care and yup I have a severe infection! In fact it has been obviously infected for a week or so. The dr lanced it and drained it and I'm on a high dose of antibiotics! But very interesting and you better believe I'll always have this in my med cabinet -- he said I could have iced it , or soaked it and then put a hemoroid ointment in a pinch as it has lidocaine agents. I'll answer other ?s next .... Or opinions
Trusted Contributor

Get thee to an urgent care, ER, or doctor ASAP. Sounds likely to me that you've contracted an infection in that toe and will probably need antibiotics. People have gotten really nasty, dangerous infections from pedicure places, and you should give this serious intention. You should NOT jam on a shoe and get on an airplane, for sure. Infections like this can quickly become very serious indeed.

Trusted Contributor

On 12/21/2014 homedecor1 said: Well thank you everyone after a all-nighter of pain & no sleep I arrived in NJ safely. Upon arrival I went to a Urgent care and yup I have a severe infection! In fact it has been obviously infected for a week or so. The dr lanced it and drained it and I'm on a high dose of antibiotics! But very interesting and you better believe I'll always have this in my med cabinet -- he said I could have iced it , or soaked it and then put a hemoroid ointment in a pinch as it has lidocaine agents. I'll answer other ?s next .... Or opinions

Did he culture the infection? Some of the "bugs" out nowadays don't respond well to garden variety antibiotics. Keep a close eye on this toe and seek help immediately if it doesn't get better.....or if it gets worse.

I'm not sure what to say about the doctor's comment about hemorrhoid ointment! Maybe it might have soothed the pain temporarily......but it wouldn't have done anything for the infection which needed treatment.

Valued Contributor

Yes, by all means be careful, but to imply that only a podiatrist can handle toenails is ridiculous. (Do they have real medical training?) And it's even more disingenous to say that people who want pedicures do it for vanity reasons! Finally, some of us have back and disability problems and can't "do" their own pedicures. Do you really think your medical insurance will pay a high-priced podiatrist to do this without an underlying medical issue?

Finally, I 'm confused by the the poster whose friend almost lost a foot when she had a manicure. Really? Did the infection travel that fast from hand to foot?

Seriously, I really do hope the op got some real medical attention for her problem.

Esteemed Contributor

On 12/21/2014 Zita said:

Yes, by all means be careful, but to imply that only a podiatrist can handle toenails is ridiculous. (Do they have real medical training?) And it's even more disingenous to say that people who want pedicures do it for vanity reasons! Finally, some of us have back and disability problems and can't "do" their own pedicures. Do you really think your medical insurance will pay a high-priced podiatrist to do this without an underlying medical issue?

Finally, I 'm confused by the the poster whose friend almost lost a foot when she had a manicure. Really? Did the infection travel that fast from hand to foot?

Seriously, I really do hope the op got some real medical attention for her problem.

Zita-Actually, yes, it can travel that fast. Once MRSA gets a hold, there's not much that can stop it and it travels through the body very, very fast. Not only can you lose limb, you can lose your life.

Homedecor- Thanks for letting us know you are ok.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Respected Contributor

On 12/21/2014 homedecor1 said: Well thank you everyone after a all-nighter of pain & no sleep I arrived in NJ safely. Upon arrival I went to a Urgent care and yup I have a severe infection! In fact it has been obviously infected for a week or so. The dr lanced it and drained it and I'm on a high dose of antibiotics! But very interesting and you better believe I'll always have this in my med cabinet -- he said I could have iced it , or soaked it and then put a hemoroid ointment in a pinch as it has lidocaine agents. I'll answer other ?s next .... Or opinions

So glad to see that you were able to get some attention for that toe and that your planned trip wasn't spoiled. Merry Christmas!

A Dimitri Dazzler. Need I say More?
Super Contributor

On 12/21/2014 Zita said:

Yes, Zita, they do.

A podiatrist is a doctor of podiatric medicine (DPM), also known as a podiatric physician or surgeon. Podiatrists diagnose and treat conditions of the foot, ankle, and related structures of the leg.

Podiatrists are the most qualified doctors to care for your feet. They complete four years of training in a podiatric medical school and three years of hospital residency training. This training is similar to that of other doctors. They are licensed in all 50 states, Puerto Rico and the District of Columbia.

Podiatrists can specialize in many fields, including surgery, sports medicine, wound care, pediatrics (children), and diabetic care.

And, yes, if you have a medical condition or a diagnosed disability that makes you unable to bend to reach your feet or if you are diabetic, many insurance companies and Medicare will pay for you to have it done by a podiatrist every 2 to 3 months.

Respected Contributor

On 12/21/2014 Zita said:

Blue Collar Babe is right. Podiatrists also have hospital privileges and operating room privileges where they perform toe amputations and set broken foot bones and operate on feet. My daughter works for a podiatry group.

Contributor

homedecor1, Happy you have been seen and treated. Hope you can relax comfortably now and enjoy your trip. Happy Holidays!