Valued Contributor

Re: Help!!! Serious pain after pedicure ugh

I really hope home decor posts back! Sounds like an infection.
Valued Contributor

On 12/21/2014 BlueCollarBabe said:

I hope you went to an urgent care or emergency center. This sounds as if it could be an infection. And when you read about the sanitary conditions (or lack thereof) at even the fanciest salons, it would be no surprise if that's what you have. Why people insist on letting someone with no medical background cut and gouge at their feet I don't know. Please, if you want your fingernails and toenails painted, enameled, whatever and don't want to do it yourself, at least do your own trimming and filing. And if you need someone to cut your toenails because you have some disability and can't manage it yourself, go to a podiatrist. Please.

I do occasionally get pedicures; however, it is not necessarily a process I always enjoy. I tend to be skeeved out by the whole process. And I worry constantly about infection, etc. I know that certain things are actually NOT officially allowed anymore, lik that razor blade scraping thing that some salons used to do. ewww! Does anyone know if there are podiatrists or more medically trained manicurists out there? Maybe at a med-spa? I love the look of nicely manicured fingers and toes, but I don't know if I can suppress my gut reaction to most of the techniques used to make them look this way.
Honored Contributor

OP, please post back and let us know what happened.

The Bluebird Carries The Sky On His Back"
-Henry David Thoreau

Valued Contributor

My last pedi was 7 years ago and I will never get another one! The person doing the pedi jabbed my large toe under the nail. It hurt for a bit but we continued on. A week later it was inflamed. I got an antibotic which helped but I nearly lost my nail. It took 1.5 years for it to completely grow out. In looking back I think it was a teenager, possible one of the staffs daughter home from school or here for a visit who did the cleaning part of the pedi.

Super Contributor

Yikes! I hope the OP is OK and gives us an update.

I was lying in bed this morning thinking ""Maybe I'll get a pedicure this week."" (I always keep my feet & toenails nice and have a pretty good home-pedicure routine but was just feeling lazy.) Guess not!!!

There is one salon near me that uses large stainless steel bowls for soaking the feet and they are sterilized with hot water and bleach after use. It seems more sanitary than those foot baths attached to the chairs but still .. now I can't stomach it.

Honored Contributor

I hope she went to urgent care and everything is ok.

I also agree with the others that I'd STOP going there! I wouldn't take a pedicure for free.

Respected Contributor

ER NOW!

Trusted Contributor

On 12/21/2014 BlingQueen022 said:

I work for a Podiatrist and I can't believe you saw this woman again. Actually I can't believe anybody would even go and get pedicures. This is a prime example why I never got one in my life. I hear my Podiatrist all the time say not to get pedicures and if you do, make sure they cut straight across AND NEVER HAVE THEM DIG IN THE CORNERS AND CUT. You need to get to an urgent care center or go to your nearest Podiatrist so they can undue the damage made by having a pedicure for vanity!!!! Good Luck.

While I agree I would never have gone back to this woman, I don't agree that no one should ever get a pedicure. I've had a number of pedicures over a few decades and have never had anyone even try, nor would I ever allow, a pedicurist to cut anything on my feet or to dig in the corners of my toenails. If you go to a reputable salon, don't go if you have open cuts on your feet, and pay attention to their cleaning routine there should be no problems.

Valued Contributor

Btw, I never allow manicurists to dig at anything. And I'm still skeeved.
Honored Contributor

I doubt the OP returns to post on this thread after being chastised so heavily. She is likely long gone.