Trusted Contributor

Re: Help - Need Arthritis Cream/OTC Med

I've had ligament issues with my knees for years, and now have arthritis. My knees have become very unstable, but I rarely needed anything for pain, so I'm lucky. However, being active was difficult, so my issues got worse. My new ortho doc sent me for aquatic therapy, and the difference in my knee function, after just my first session, was incredible.

I intend to join a gym that offers water aerobics and water programs for arthritis, when my PT is finished. I'm sure this is something I'll always have to do. But, I do find it very relaxing as well. No more tennis for me, lol.

You would definitely need your doctor's approval. But, if he/she says it's ok, I would highly recommend it. It might delay your need for surgery. And, if not, it's a great form of exercise.

"I've been here since October 2006. Wow!"
Respected Contributor

On 10/3/2014 merory said:

Tigress, I saved the receipt from the Votaren Gel prescription (it's 1%, by the way and 100 gm, whatever that means). The cost was $20.44. I hope this helps you. I am sorry to learn that you, too, have FMS. That's a lot to deal with. My thoughts are with you. Hope you're able to rest better tonight.

THanks. I knew I've heard of this before. It is available through Canadian pharmacies without a script. I may try there or just call the doc since the prices are about the same.

Esteemed Contributor

I should have stock in Icy Patch which I use, but Avon has a great cream for arthritis which I am about to use on my knee since it's raining like crazy in my area.

Super Contributor

Didn't your doctor recommend anything? I had a fairly lengthy discussion with my doctors (PCP and Orthopedist) ... regarding how to handle pain/inflammation.

Respected Contributor

I have spent 6 weeks in physical therapy with no progress for the knee cap dislocation, so surgery is what the doc recommends but after I get some weight off to see if that alone doesn't help. I'm working on that with new thyroid meds, weight watchers, exercise, and common sense. I"m muscular so heavy with a nice layer of padding. I will never be a small woman as none of the women in my father's family are, and those are the ones I take after. We are all 5'8" or above and broad shouldered. My mother is 5'2" and slight in frame, so my sister takes after her. Genetics can be a pain sometimes, but the women on both sides live much longer than the men folK!

The magnesium oil sounds great. I prefer items with simpler ingredient decks as not to aggravate sensitive skin, but right now I'm willing to try anything and everything. I've already got the OTC things in my Amazon cart and will try them in the coming weeks, but will also call the doc for the Voltaren gel for another option!

Thanks for all the wonderful recommendations!

Trusted Contributor

I also use Voltaren gel for arthritis joint pain. I've told my rheumatologist that the makers of it need to come out with Voltaren bath salts. He laughs but I'm not joking!

Highlighted
Trusted Contributor

On 10/4/2014 tigriss said:

I have spent 6 weeks in physical therapy with no progress for the knee cap dislocation, so surgery is what the doc recommends but after I get some weight off to see if that alone doesn't help. I'm working on that with new thyroid meds, weight watchers, exercise, and common sense. I"m muscular so heavy with a nice layer of padding. I will never be a small woman as none of the women in my father's family are, and those are the ones I take after. We are all 5'8" or above and broad shouldered. My mother is 5'2" and slight in frame, so my sister takes after her. Genetics can be a pain sometimes, but the women on both sides live much longer than the men folK!

The magnesium oil sounds great. I prefer items with simpler ingredient decks as not to aggravate sensitive skin, but right now I'm willing to try anything and everything. I've already got the OTC things in my Amazon cart and will try them in the coming weeks, but will also call the doc for the Voltaren gel for another option!

Thanks for all the wonderful recommendations!

. Tig., I put a little mag. Oil in hot water to soak my feet before sleeping. It's in Epsom salts but stronger. Surprising how effective this one is.
Super Contributor

DON'T LOOK ANY FURTHER !! QVC SELLS THE BEST PRODUCT FOR ARTHRITIC PAIN....

JOINT FORMULA 88 .......ITEM NUMBER IS A220588........I USE IT MYSELF AND HAVE USED IT FOR YEARS. ITS THE BEST THING I HAVE EVER USED ON MY KNEE AND MY ARTHRITIC ANKLES. RUB IT IN REALLY WELL AND BEFORE I PUT THE CAP BACK ON THE TUBE MY PAIN IS ALL BUT GONE.

TRY IT.....BELIEVE ME IT WILL HELP !

Esteemed Contributor

My prescribes a mixture of Mobic (meloxicam) and lidocaine from a local compounding pharmacy. That works great!

Esteemed Contributor

As someone said, everyone's body chemistry is different, but the one that works for me is Aspercream. I had a total knee replacement 7 years ago, so that's fixed, but my hands are also affected by arthritis. Having tried a number of OTC creams, I find that I get the most relief from Aspercream. When I had a really painful flare-up last winter, my dr. prescribed Voltaren gel. It definitely helped, but I only used it for about 10 days until my hands were back to "normal" - achy, but not too bad. Then I went back to Aspercream.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett