Respected Contributor

Help - Need Arthritis Cream/OTC Med

I need to know which arthritis cream/OTC meds work for you. I've been diagnosed with it in both my knees along with 50% cartilage loss on my knee caps because they slip out of the little groove they ride in causing pain and cartilage loss. I'm working on my weight, like we all need to loose some pounds, but prefer non-narcotic forms of pain relief. I use cold and heat therapy but I can't take that to work with me. Thanks for the referrals of things that really do work.

Super Contributor

Re: Help - Need Arthritis Cream/OTC Med

I like Blue Emu (or Emu Blue - don't have the jar here and don't remember). I get it in the drugstore. There's no smell to it. I rub it in after showering and it has helped with the arthritis pain.

Esteemed Contributor

I have one knee that is pretty much bone on bone, and I like menthol patches.

This size is perfect for the knee. It helps the pain and also give the knee a bit of support.

It's God's job to judge the terrorists. It's our mission to arrange the meeting. U.S. Marines
Occasional Contributor

I take 2 capsules of Zyflamend every morning and use Topricin topically. If that doesn't take care of it, I take Aleve. I buy Zyflamend at Vitamin Shoppe and the Topricin at Wegmans but they are available in many stores.
Respected Contributor

Hey tigriss ~ I have a bad knee. Surgery in 2001, torn cartilage got cleaned up, but sometimes my knee still hurts. Have you tried a good heavy duty knee sleeve? The one "without" the hole for the knee cap. It really helps me when I am hurting. They have a good selection at Walgreens. The black one (ACE BRAND, I Think) is really good, and not expensive. Under $10.

If you want to change the tenor of your interactions, you must become aware of the impact of your words...Karen Casey
Contributor

I was just prescribed "Voltaren Gel", which is a topical gel. My first time using it was last night. I did notice a little difference. Everyone's chemistry is different; what works for one might not work for another. I'm not certain if you've ever tried "ThermaCare" heatwraps. I'll use them once in a while and they do offer some temporary relief. I hope you are successful in finding something that works for you. It can be challenging. Good luck to you.

Super Contributor

Have you talked to a joint surgeon about knee replacement? I was miserable for ten years. Replaced both my knees a year ago. I am now free from pain! Nothing I applied topically helped the bone on bone pain....
Respected Contributor

I've been to a surgeon and can do surgery, but I'm trying to avoid that. I do have a knee brace that is specific for keeping the knee cap from dislocating. That helps, but I was awoke last night by the pain in bending my knees at some point. I grabbed the heating pad and plopped that on. I also take Aleve and a joint supplement. I've used something similar to the Voltaren Gel called Flector Patch. It is a topical NSAID and have a cream prescribed by my knee doc that is compounded at a local pharmacy and contains ketamine and benzocaine and things like that, but the pain last night was bad. We are going from 80s in the day to upper 40s at night and that kills me! I'm looking at the Zyflamend, and I take Turmeric for my fibro, so that helps too. The reviews are really good for it on Amazon! Super thanks for that!!

My father has had both knees done, my mother one, my maternal grandmother both and my paternal grandmother both. I think it runs in the family, but we are hard working farmers, so that may have something to do with it. I really was quite the Tomboy and rough-housed with my 23 cousins nearly daily. All that hay bale jumping probably didn't do any good either!

Thanks for the recommendations. I may also ask for the Voltaren Gel and see what the doc thinks because it is script.

Trusted Contributor

magnesium oil from the Vitamin Shoppe. Put some in your body lotion until you get used to it. I sleep so sound after I rub this in my hands. Just a few drops.....

Contributor

Tigress, I saved the receipt from the Votaren Gel prescription (it's 1%, by the way and 100 gm, whatever that means). The cost was $20.44. I hope this helps you. I am sorry to learn that you, too, have FMS. That's a lot to deal with. My thoughts are with you. Hope you're able to rest better tonight.