Honored Contributor

Help - Help! I need recommendations for an insect repellant for sensitive skin!!!

I don't use insect repellants on my person as I have such extremely sensitive skin that everything gives me a reaction!  

I am just going through a horrific experience of having been bitten by something (don't know what as I didn't see it or feel it at the time) and now I feel I need to find something to spray on or apply when I go for my morning walks!

Does anyone have suggestions for something very gentle but effective?

Thank you so much!!!  

"A day without sunshine is like, you know, night." - Steve Martin
Super Contributor

Re: Help - Help! I need recommendations for an insect repellant for sensitive skin!!!

I get bitten all the time and this yr got the thermacell from QVC . It clips on a pocket and is designed for hunters . It is quiet to run and works for me so you do not have to spray  all them chemicals on your skin .

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Help - Help! I need recommendations for an insect repellant for sensitive skin!!!

Avon's Skin so Soft is good.  Also, Off makes a repellant for children/sensitive skin.

Esteemed Contributor

I've been a mosquito magnet since I was born. I tend to get chewed up .The bites then swell & itch like crazy for days.

Several years ago I found the Off Clip On by Johnson & Johnson. They are wonderfull. They are battery operated.You put a thin refill cartridge in. Clip it on your clothes ie: belt,handbag, pocket etc. & turn it on.

I've gone from being covered with bites to almost none. I highly recommend it. 

Honored Contributor

REPEL, spray natural.

When you lose some one you L~O~V~E, that Memory of them, becomes a TREASURE.
Honored Contributor

Avon Skin So Soft.

Respected Contributor

@AngelPuppy1 Are you wearing any scented lotion or perfume? Or your clothes have scented fabric softner?

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@NicksmomESQ wrote:

I've been a mosquito magnet since I was born. I tend to get chewed up .The bites then swell & itch like crazy for days.

Several years ago I found the Off Clip On by Johnson & Johnson. They are wonderfull. They are battery operated.You put a thin refill cartridge in. Clip it on your clothes ie: belt,handbag, pocket etc. & turn it on.

I've gone from being covered with bites to almost none. I highly recommend it. 

@NicksmomESQ do they still make those?  I haven't seen them, or at least just the refills, in awhile.  Luckily, since I got my Dynatrap I haven't really needed mine much, but before that I swore by it.

ETA:  If I have to use an insect repellant, I don't have sensitive skin so use the heavy duty stuff, but I spray it on my clothes, not on my skin.

Honored Contributor

@Liverbird1 

I cannot find that thermacell thing you mentiioned.  Would you be able to post more info?  Thanks.  

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal 

Is this the original Avon Skin so Soft?  I heard that it does not really work.  Thanks for the suggestions.  I really need something as I got bitten by something - undetermined --- which turned into a horrible thing -- and had to go to the ER!