Frequent Contributor

Re: Help - Anyone ever heard of Trazodone

Thanks so much for all the helpful information. I just can't believe how rude some of you are If you didn't like my question, you should have moved on. I just didn't want to write my whole story. It is very long - I just needed some personal opinions. The Doctor and pharmacist can only tell me so much, I needed actual personal opinions. Like I said, I don't know anyone who has had anxiety/depression so really can't talk to anyone about it. I really appreciate all the kindness and help from most of you. I have Kaiser (which I really like) they are very busy in mental health department, they don't need a call from me everyday.

Respected Contributor

On 4/3/2015 adelle38 said:

Trazodone didn't help with my insomnia at all and it made me feel foggy brained all day. I was on only 50 mg. I know some people who find it to me an effective insomnia remedy.

I had this same experience. At lower dosages, it did no good, and at higher dosages that actually made me sleep, I felt foggy all day. I stayed with it for two months hoping I would get used to the medication, but I never did.

Super Contributor

Everyone is different, but I have used it for 12 years, 50mg just to help fall asleep, drowsiness sets in about 10-15 minutes after dose. As a sleep aide, the therapeutic window is approx 20-30 minutes after drowsiness sets in, so it needs to be taken just before bed. Otherwise the sensation of drowsiness may wear off.

Have not found it to be habituating nor have I ever required higher doses than 50 mg.

Respected Contributor

Hi natesgrandma, I know I'm late with my comment, but just thought I would let you know I did take Trazodone, many years ago. Tried it twice and it didn't work for me for depression or for sleep. As a mater of fact, it caused heart palpitations each time, so I make sure this is in my medical record.

You are under a drs care, so I wouldn't be afraid to take it, but just be aware that some have side effects from it, as is true with any other medicine.

I also know how difficult it is to find the right medicine - totally frustrating some times. And it usually takes so long because you need to give it a chance, and in the meantime you get more depressed and unable to sleep well. It can be a vicious circle and you feel like you're spinning your wheels.

I'm currently on Cymbalta, after trying almost all of them, and it's working so well for me. When I have major issue with sleeping, I take Ambien - it is NOT highly addictive. It is very potent. One of the reasons it's prescribed so much is because it is NOT addictive like Valium or other anxiety meds. I usually take 1 1/2 tablets of Benadryl at night to help with sleep and it works, but I have to take it earlier in the night.

You sound like you will consult your provider before doing or taking anything, don't be hesitant to call their office, many time the nurse can get your questions answered and you don't need to go in for an office visit.

Sorry this is so long, but hope you may have gotten something out of it. In any case, take care of yourself and ignore the rude ones. I think society in general is getting way more rude and this is also reflected on these boards lately. It says more about them than you. Smile

Regular Contributor

I was given this when I was the hospital because I could not sleep--not sure if it really worked but it is best to check with your doctor for his/her advice.

"You never know when the last time is the last time."

"You never know when the last time is the
last time."
Trusted Contributor

Trazodone has been around for many years and is used a lot for a sleep aid and for depression.

The effects I've read here are typical and very common and most people seem to have some, all, a few or most of the same. Seems it just depends or your particular system and how it responds to this type of drug.

If prescribed, your physician believes this to be the best choice of drugs for your specific needs and it is pretty safe to use it. Try the prescribed dose, and you have the ability with your doctor's permission for him to increase or decrease the dosage until you get a perfect fit for your specific needs.

I believe it will help you according to your described sleep pattern.

HTH

Honored Contributor

@imaclotheshog wrote:

{#emotions_dlg.confused1}You didn't ask the doctor about when he prescribed it to you? Did he mention in the office visit why he was prescribing it? I'm confused as to why you didn't ask him what it was, when you saw him.

I have never taken that particular drug, but whenever the doctor prescribes something for me, I always ask what kind of drug it is, why do I need it, side effects etc. Then I ask again at the pharmacy when I get it filled if there's anything else I think of I want to know. And, they always ask me if I have any questions when they give me the medication.

I always get a lot of information from drugs.com and WebMD.

Here is a link to info on Trazodone, on drugs.com.

http://www.drugs.com/trazodone.html

You are so correct in that pharmacists know so much more than doctors about drugs.  After all, that is their main study course.  I will always take a pharmacist's explanation over a doctor's any day.  Half the time the doctors only know what the pharma salesperson told them, and they, of course, represent the company that makes the drug . . . so it's all positive hype.

Formerly Ford1224
We must always take sides. Neutrality helps the oppressor, never the victim. Silence encourages the tormentor, never the tormented. Elie Wiesel 1986