Frequent Contributor

Help - Anyone ever heard of Trazodone

I was just given this medication (Trazodone) and I am nervous about taking it. Has anyone heard of this medication? I do have a call in to the dr., but I doubt he will return my call today, it is Friday.

Honored Contributor

Re: Help - Anyone ever heard of Trazodone

You can google it and read all about it. It's an anti-depressant.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

It's an old antidepressant that can be used for sleep or chronic pain issues usually. Of course it can be prescribed as an antidepressant, but not usually as the newer ones have less side effects and are generally tolerated better. It's pretty commonly prescribed. Fibro, arthritis, that sort of thing. It will knock you out and usually you will feel pretty "hungover" the next day until you get used to it. It seems to work well for those types of conditions and I haven't really known anyone to have much trouble with it once they get used to taking it.
Super Contributor

I use it every night to fall asleep. I really like it. No side effects.
Super Contributor

{#emotions_dlg.confused1} You didn't ask the doctor about when he prescribed it to you? Did he mention in the office visit why he was prescribing it? I'm confused as to why you didn't ask him what it was, when you saw him.

I have never taken that particular drug, but whenever the doctor prescribes something for me, I always ask what kind of drug it is, why do I need it, side effects etc. Then I ask again at the pharmacy when I get it filled if there's anything else I think of I want to know. And, they always ask me if I have any questions when they give me the medication.

I always get a lot of information from drugs.com and WebMD.

Here is a link to info on Trazodone, on drugs.com.

http://www.drugs.com/trazodone.html

Honored Contributor

Wow..that's a blast from the past....
Where have you gone, Joe DiMaggio? A nation turns its lonely eyes to you.... ~ S & G
Super Contributor

It will help you sleep if that has been a problem. You may need to regulate how much you take. Your dr. will explain.

Honored Contributor

Contact your pharmacist for a clear understanding.

Trusted Contributor

You didn't express your concerns about taking it and why you want to speak to the doctor. Didn't you get written info from your pharmacy when you picked it up ?

Can't you phone your pharmacist?

What is your concern?

It's routinely given to people with chronic pain disorders who have difficulty sleeping nightly. Won't harm you.

Respected Contributor

My neighbor has chronic insomnia. This is what she takes. She is a retired lab tech but for years tries to take a holistic path for her general health. Even she knuckles under and takes Trazadone for her insomnia. She says it's the most safe drug of choice for her.

This drug has been around for years.

I agree with others...GOOGLE is your friend.