Respected Contributor

Re: Heart skipping a few beats

Sure sounds like a lousy doctor to me.  Take it from somebody that had two heart attacks and 4 stents placed.  SEE A CARDIOLOGIST AND GET A WORKUP.  

Honored Contributor

I guess I would be kind of annoyed that she asked me if I could feel it and then said nothing further. Of course then when we leave we would worry or wish we had asked about it but sometimes we don't think about what to ask while in the middle of an exam!

I wish she would have explained what that meant or if perfectly normal or not etc.!

So its good that you are going to email her. I would be feeling the same as you about it all-just wondering and you shouldn't have had to be.

"If you walk the footsteps of a stranger, you'll learn things you never knew. Can you sing with all the voices of the mountains? can you paint with all the colors of the wind?"
Respected Contributor

All people have irregular beats from time to time.  MOST of the time it is unimportant.  It can happen when you are nervous (like at the doctor's office) especially.  Many of these beats are not felt.

Since you are thinking about it, you should ask your doctor.  Having them in a row is a little less frequent.

I went through this and felt every one of them.  I had all the tests short of an angiogram.  I still have them, but now mostly ignore them.  Getting on anxiety medication made a lot of difference for me.

Check it out with your doctor.

Hyacinth

Respected Contributor

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

Sure sounds like a lousy doctor to me.  Take it from somebody that had two heart attacks and 4 stents placed.  SEE A CARDIOLOGIST AND GET A WORKUP.  

That should make her feel great.

Hyacinth

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden

My heart has been doing this since the 1960's, and they are called PVC(Premature Ventricular Contractions). These had nothing to do with either of my heart attacks. This actually is pretty common, but it is always wise to get answers from your treating doctor if you are concerned.

This info was/is my heart beat diagnosis, not for anyone to analyze their own specific heart beat.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

Hyacinth

I sure hope so. I tell it like it is.  First of all, if I had a serious heart problem like that, I wouldn't be on a shopping board talking about it.  I'd be at the Cardiologist's office with my heart symptoms, not here.. Have a nice day.

Respected Contributor

@SeaMaiden  I have the same thing.  I regularly donate blood through the American Red Cross and a couple of years ago, when they were checking my pulse, they told me that I had so many irregular beats in a minute that I couldn't donate.  I thought it was due to being nervous or in a rush, and 3 months later, they told me the same thing.  So I went to a cardiologist (a fantastic one that my Dad uses), and I had and ECHO (they attach wires to you with a portable recorder for 24 hours), and sure enough my heart was beating very strong but missing beats.  After that, and a treadmill stress test, he said my heart was healthy and prescribed Metroprolol Tartrate 25 MG tablets for twice a day.  He called it a beta blocker.  I've been on those and after mid year and my one year checkup, Dr. tells me that they are working exactly has hoped.  I have zero stress in my life and I could sit in a recliner and feel my heart beating our of my chest before this medication.  And I have normal blood pressure reading - never high.  As for the medication, the price is VERY reasonable, without insurance it was $18 month and with my insurance, about 1/2 of that.  Interestingly, my father is on the exact same medication, so my issue is probably hereditary.  

......You look like I need a drink.....
Honored Contributor

What kind of doctor did you see?

I have a yearly with my Internal Medicine doctor and he referred me to a cardiologist when he heard the skip, or the double beat.    If my BP is taken manually, the old fashioned way, it will mess up the reading if you are not expecting it.

The cardiologist did an EKG and one other test, can't recall, maybe a CT scan or an ultrasound, and everything checked out.

Unless you are having other symptoms in combination, I'd just check in with a cardiologist then let it go.  It's not that uncommon.

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I had my complete yearly physical today....pap....you name it!  When the Dr was listening to my heart, she said it skipped a few beats...and asked  me, "did I feel it".  I told her no. She did not say any more about it. 

Now I am home and thinking is there something wrong with my ❤️?  I should have asked her if my irregular heart beats  was concerning, but, I just did not think of it.  (You know how it is sitting naked  barely covered in that tiny room.....)

I will email her once I get my blood work back and ask her about it.  Until then,  Do any of you have such going on  with your heart without feeling any flutters? Would you be concerned?

I am 62.  I walk every day, eat a very heart  healthy  diet.  My blood pressure today was 116/64.  No heart disease in my family on either side. I never thought I would have issues with heart ....other parts yes, but heart no. 

Honored Contributor

@hyacinth003 wrote:

@Blingqueen023 wrote:

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003@Blingqueen023    It was my first visit to this internist.  My other doctor who I had been going to the last couple of checkups retired last year.  I  can not really make a judgement call as far as her being lousy--yet.

.  She seemed very up to date with all the current information and what I needed at my age to have checked or tested.  I will email her after I get back my blood tests and ask her about this heart issue it just to ease my mind.  Interesting I watched a news information program on just this issue last night.  It was saying how heart disease is the major killer of woman in this country, yet, most doctors do little if any testing on women.  Many women said THEY HAD TO ASK FOR THE TESTING.. as it was never discussed until the patient brought it up.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hyacinth003 wrote:

All people have irregular beats from time to time.  MOST of the time it is unimportant.  It can happen when you are nervous (like at the doctor's office) especially.  Many of these beats are not felt.

Since you are thinking about it, you should ask your doctor.  Having them in a row is a little less frequent.

I went through this and felt every one of them.  I had all the tests short of an angiogram.  I still have them, but now mostly ignore them.  Getting on anxiety medication made a lot of difference for me.

Check it out with your doctor.

Hyacinth

@hyacinth003  That's a good point.  Irregular beats can happen for a number of different reasons.

Just to let you know @SeaMaiden, dehydration can cause irregular beats due to electrolyte imbalance.

"Heartburn Can Cause Cancer" -- www.ecan.org