Honored Contributor

Heart skipping a few beats

[ Edited ]

I had my complete yearly physical today....pap....you name it!  When the Dr was listening to my heart, she said it skipped a few beats...and asked  me, "did I feel it".  I told her no. She did not say any more about it. 

Now I am home and thinking is there something wrong with my ❤️?  I should have asked her if my irregular heart beats  was concerning, but, I just did not think of it.  (You know how it is sitting naked  barely covered in that tiny room.....)

I will email her once I get my blood work back and ask her about it.  Until then,  Do any of you have such going on  with your heart without feeling any flutters? Would you be concerned?

I am 62.  I walk every day, eat a very heart  healthy  diet.  My blood pressure today was 116/64.  No heart disease in my family on either side. I never thought I would have issues with heart ....other parts yes, but heart no. 

Honored Contributor

Re: Heart skipping a few beats

[ Edited ]

If your doctor was not concerned I would not be. I think, especially as we age things like this are prefectly normal, I have had annnoying heart palpitations since peri meno, now almost 65, I am just used to it.  I am sure if she thought any tests were indicated she would have told you or told you to see a cardio doc. I assume she did an EKG and all was normal.

Esteemed Contributor

You can contact her - but it doesn't sound serious. Otherwise, she would informed u.

Honored Contributor

@Shelbelle wrote:

If your doctor was not concerned I would not be. I think, especially as we age things like this are prefectly normal, I have had annnoying heart palpitations since peri meno, now almost 65, I am just used to it.  I am sure if she thought any tests were indicated she would have told you or told you to see a cardio doc. I assume she did an EKG and all was normal.

@Shelbelle She did not do an EKG. 😐

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I had my complete yearly physical today....pap....you name it!  When the Dr was listening to my heart, she said it skipped a few beats...and asked  me, "did I feel it".  I told her no. She did not say any more about it. 

Now I am home and thinking is there something wrong with my ❤️?  I should have asked her if my irregular heart beats  was concerning, but, I just did not think of it.  (You know how it is sitting naked  barely covered in that tiny room.....)

I will email her once I get my blood work back and ask her about it.  Until then,  Do any of you have such going on  with your heart without feeling any flutters? Would you be concerned?

I am 62.  I walk every day, eat a very heart  healthy  diet.  My blood pressure today was 116/64.  No heart disease in my family on either side. I never thought I would have issues with heart ....other parts yes, but heart no. 

Did you have an EKG?  Did she recommend an echo?  Email her and ask her if either or both of those are in order.  There are many reasons for skipped heart beats.  If it were me, I would want to know if it was worth pursuing to have a workup.  Did she, per chance, obtain any cardiac enzymes or liver enzymes?  

Honored Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

Did you have an EKG?  Did she recommend an echo?  Email her and ask her if either or both of those are in order.  There are many reasons for skipped heart beats.  If it were me, I would want to know if it was worth pursuing to have a workup.  Did she, per chance, obtain any cardiac enzymes or liver enzymes?  

@Nonametoday  Those are great questions. No, I did not have an EKG. She did recommend any tests  that have to do with heart.  I guess she was not concerned? I will ask about it after I get my blood test results close here next week. Thanks for your suggestions🙂

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Nonametoday  Those are great questions. No, I did not have an EKG. She did recommend any tests  that have to do with heart.  I guess she was not concerned? I will ask about it after I get my blood test results close here next week. Thanks for your suggestions🙂

NAT:  You bet.  Ask her.  There is no reason not to, but could be reason to get it squared away.  Well-being begins with your ability to lie down at night and sleep, not worry.

Honored Contributor

Sometimes doctors wait for blood test results and then discuss any issues.  I have had palipatations along the way.  My first came when I had an over active thyroid back in the seventies.  However, if I get any now it is quick and goes away.  

If your doctor didn't pursue this, it is probably nothing but I would mention it to her for peace of mind .  Sometimes the anxiety of worrying about something is worse than the problem.  I know, I do it all the time!  Good luck and good for you for going for a complete check up.

Respected Contributor

Me and my sister used to have that all the time - or heart racing and pounding in my chest all of a sudden.  Once my current dr put me on hypertension meds because my blood pressure was getting high, I haven't had a problem since.  But I would definitely ask your dr - I've heard many people talk about having irregular heartbeats.  Don't know if it is a problem or not. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

It's common not to feel skipped beats especially if you're moving around or pre-occupied.  You're more likely to feel them when you're still and quiet.  I have them quite often.  And I have racing heart beats.  Since I'm not a Dr I'm not going to go into what all it could be but it's often nothing to be concerned about.  We have an Omron wrist cuff blood pressure monitor that in addition to showing your heart rate, it includes an icon on the screen if it detects and unusual heartbeat, ie skipped.

I've had palpitations and skipped heart beats for years (since peri-menopause).  I've been to the ER at least 4 times.  All the tests come back normal and my heart sounds nice and strong.  Had an ECHO a few months ago.  All good. 

Sometimes our Drs get too busy and they're human, they forget.  I'd be proactive and follow-up  with an email.