Esteemed Contributor

Re: Heart calcium scoring test

Talked to my sister tonight and asked her your question.  She said that there are no "bad" tests but to tell you to find a good cardiologist that has a lipidologist working with him/her and get established.  With your family history of heart trouble and age, you have "risk factors" that would justify the tests and insurance should cover them.  

She also said that plaque is not choosy, it will develop in any number of places in the body.  My neighbor just had a blockage by plaque in her leg, not a clot, a narrowing of the artery!  Had a stent put in.  I would never have thought of that.  And they have tests for that!

She said to tell you that you are very smart to be aware that you have risk factors and to find you a great cardiologist while you have time to do it.  Most heart ploblems can be controlled today with proper tests and treatments.  Good luck to you.

Respected Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

Talked to my sister tonight and asked her your question.  She said that there are no "bad" tests but to tell you to find a good cardiologist that has a lipidologist working with him/her and get established.  With your family history of heart trouble and age, you have "risk factors" that would justify the tests and insurance should cover them.  

She also said that plaque is not choosy, it will develop in any number of places in the body.  My neighbor just had a blockage by plaque in her leg, not a clot, a narrowing of the artery!  Had a stent put in.  I would never have thought of that.  And they have tests for that!

She said to tell you that you are very smart to be aware that you have risk factors and to find you a great cardiologist while you have time to do it.  Most heart ploblems can be controlled today with proper tests and treatments.  Good luck to you.

Thank you so much for asking your sister. My Doctor has recommended that I consult with a Cardiologist too. He made a recommendation of one he thinks highly of. 

Trusted Contributor

@Zhills wrote:

If you have calcium in your heart wouldn't you have it in your carotid arteries first?  An Echocardiogram shows that.  

@wonderfulworld An echocardiogram is an ultrasound of the heart, so it would not show any narrowing of the carotid arteries. You would need a carotid ultrasound to check the carotids, which is done by a vascular ultrasound tech. 

We regularly perform stress echoes (stress echocardiograms) on patients who have a high calcium score on the scan you mentioned. While not perfect (the angiogram is the gold standard for checking for blockages in the coronary arteries), it is up to 90% accurate and is a non-invasive way to look for significant coronary artery disease (CAD).

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pinkmochi wrote:

We regularly perform stress echoes (stress echocardiograms) on patients who have a high calcium score on the scan you mentioned. While not perfect (the angiogram is the gold standard for checking for blockages in the coronary arteries), it is up to 90% accurate and is a non-invasive way to look for significant coronary artery disease (CAD).

@pinkmochi

When you say "stress echo" are you referring to a Lexiscan? I spent weeks on the Heart Floor of my 2nd home, and many of the patients would not be able to a "treadmill stress echo". Some could not even make it around the hall when walking with me, no way they would even get started on a walking "stress echo".

Prior to my most recent "treadmill stress echo", my 2 previous ones were done via Lexiscan. My life went well enough, for long enough, thus I was able to regain my physical fitness level that is in the upper percentile of 70-80 year olds. I am 78.

I had my long time Cardiologist order the Maximal Stress Echo Test. First wanted to make sure there were no underlying issues, and secondarily wanted to get my fitness level in relation to other healthy men in my age category. The bottom of my heart has been damaged by my 2 heart attacks, but it to this point hasn't impeded my ability to get and stay at a good fitness level(knock on wood it doesn't change soon".

Thanks for your input on this thread.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@pinkmochi wrote:

@pinkmochi

When you say "stress echo" are you referring to a Lexiscan? I spent weeks on the Heart Floor of my 2nd home, and many of the patients would not be able to a "treadmill stress echo". Some could not even make it around the hall when walking with me, no way they would even get started on a walking "stress echo".

Prior to my most recent "treadmill stress echo", my 2 previous ones were done via Lexiscan. My life went well enough, for long enough, thus I was able to regain my physical fitness level that is in the upper percentile of 70-80 year olds. I am 78.

I had my long time Cardiologist order the Maximal Stress Echo Test. First wanted to make sure there were no underlying issues, and secondarily wanted to get my fitness level in relation to other healthy men in my age category. The bottom of my heart has been damaged by my 2 heart attacks, but it to this point hasn't impeded my ability to get and stay at a good fitness level(knock on wood it doesn't change soon".

Thanks for your input on this thread.

hckynut(john)

@hckynut Hi John,

No, a stress echo is a treadmill stress test in which ultrasound images of the heart (echo) are taken at rest, then the patient walks or runs on the treadmill, then images are immediately taken while the heart rate is over 85% (ideally). A Lexiscan is a nuclear stress test where patients are injected with a nuclear isotope. They're usually ordered for patients who are unable to walk on the treadmill sufficiently enough to reach the target heart rate.

I'm glad to hear that you're doing well now after two MIs! Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I so appreciate everyone who commented.

I ended up having a Lexiscan but did walk on the treadmill. Several others who had the test that day were unable to walk so they received an injection that speeded up their hearts.

My cardiac fitness level was right smack in the middle of the above average range for my age group. I have walked for years and had no trouble with the treadmill. I am totally asymptomatic.

I had it last Thursday and was told I would hear right away if I needed an immediate heart cath. Otherwise, I would see the cardiologist in 3 weeks...my first appointment with him.  My regular doctor ordered the Lexiscan so that would be out of the way. I had it at the cardiologist office. A big group with 4 offices.

My caratoid artery ultrasound was excellent. I am hoping the calcium scoring was a false alarm.

Thank you everyone!

Respected Contributor

@pinkmochi wrote:

@Zhills wrote:

If you have calcium in your heart wouldn't you have it in your carotid arteries first?  An Echocardiogram shows that.  

@wonderfulworld An echocardiogram is an ultrasound of the heart, so it would not show any narrowing of the carotid arteries. You would need a carotid ultrasound to check the carotids, which is done by a vascular ultrasound tech. 

Could you please answer a question for me....when I was given the prep instructions for the Lexiscan I was told absolutely no underwire bra.

That got me to thinking...I wore regular clothes and an underwire bra for the Calcium Scoring test and also my heart rate was kind of high. Could that have skewed the results.

Thank you so much for taking the time to consider my situation. I assume the Lexiscan with treadmill gives a more accurate picture than the Calcium Scoring Test?

Honored Contributor

@wonderfulworld wrote:

I ended up having a Lexiscan but did walk on the treadmill. Several others who had the test that day were unable to walk so they received an injection that speeded up their hearts.

My cardiac fitness level was right smack in the middle of the above average range for my age group. I have walked for years and had no trouble with the treadmill. I am totally asymptomatic.

I had it last Thursday and was told I would hear right away if I needed an immediate heart cath. Otherwise, I would see the cardiologist in 3 weeks...my first appointment with him.  My regular doctor ordered the Lexiscan so that would be out of the way. I had it at the cardiologist office. A big group with 4 offices.

My caratoid artery ultrasound was excellent. I am hoping the calcium scoring was a false alarm.

Thank you everyone!

I think you should check with your doctor. The Lexiscan test is without exercise. It is specifically designed for those who cannot exercise. Did you have a nuclear scan? They are only a certain percentage accurate as I had one right before I had a massive coronary in the left anterior descending artery...the widowmaker. It did not show up on the nuclear scan.

Do not wish to scare you but the gold standard is a cardiac catherization.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@wonderfulworld wrote:

Thank you everyone!

I think you should check with your doctor. The Lexiscan test is without exercise. It is specifically designed for those who cannot exercise. Did you have a nuclear scan? They are only a certain percentage accurate as I had one right before I had a massive coronary in the left anterior descending artery...the widowmaker. It did not show up on the nuclear scan.

Do not wish to scare you but the gold standard is a cardiac catherization.

Good luck with everything and keep us posted.

Trinity11, thank you for your reply. I did have a nuclear stress test, I hope it shows the cardiologist what he needs to know. I have an appointment with him in two and a half weeks.

I hope you have made a good recovery from your heart attack.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11

Your statement about the Heart Cath is something everyone undergoing tests on all their heart functions, needs to know. Like you, there are times I don't particularly like to say certain things on this forum. I too never want to scare anyone, but there are times, it is better to say things these individuals should definitely know.

There was nothing in any tests given me that indicated I was going to have a heart attack. And I am one that had numerous "Treadmill Maximal Stress Tests", many of which included the Pulmonary Cart that measures Oxygen In/Carbon Dioxide Out.

Those extras showed my excellent Pulmonary  and Cardiovascular Fitness levels, which were always towards the upper percentages for my age groups fitness levels. Even  though those many Maximal Stress Tests came out great, I still have had, like yourself, 2 heart attacks, but not near as severe as yours.

I hope you can continue to get the treatments you need after what you have been through with that doctor and your stent situation. It is easy for me to relate to the mental challenges of these very serious types of health issues. If you feel you need help with that aspect of what many suffer when they have a heart attack, please get what sometimes is necessary for many with CAD.

My thoughts and hopes are always right there with you.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)