Honored Contributor

Re: Heart calcium scoring test

@hckynut wrote:

@Trinity11

Your statement about the Heart Cath is something everyone undergoing tests on all their heart functions, needs to know. Like you, there are times I don't particularly like to say certain things on this forum. I too never want to scare anyone, but there are times, it is better to say things these individuals should definitely know.

There was nothing in any tests given me that indicated I was going to have a heart attack. And I am one that had numerous "Treadmill Maximum Stress Tests", many of which included the Pulmonary Cart that measures Oxygen In/Carbon Dioxide Out.

Those extras showed my excellent Pulmonary  and Cardiovascular Fitness levels, which were always towards the upper percentages for my age groups fitness levels. Even  though those many Maximal Stress Tests came out great, I still have had, like yourself, 2 heart attacks, but not near as severe as yours.

I hope you can continue to get the treatments you need after what you have been through with that doctor and your stent situation. It is easy for me to relate to the mental challenges of these very serious types of health issues. If you feel you need help with that aspect of what many suffer when they have a heart attack, please get what sometimes is necessary for many with CAD.

My thoughts and hopes are always right there with you.

hckynut(john)

Thanks @hckynut. Funny but the nuclear scan I had with the treadmill they told me I had the heart of a 25 year old. That was only a year before the heart attack. It apparently did not pick up anything. They said all my arteries were clean. So much for tests.

Yes, the doctor that did the angioplasty in June of last year messed up big time. He sent my now interventionalist a report claiming he had already stented the area that gave me the 2nd MI in May of this year. When I tried to reach the first dr., he has disappeared and cannot be located. The office manager said he gave no forwarding address. Thankfully, I now have the Head of Cardiology of a major hospital in my area. So at least no more mishaps.

Hope you and Cindy are doing well.

Valued Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Trinity11

Your statement about the Heart Cath is something everyone undergoing tests on all their heart functions, needs to know. Like you, there are times I don't particularly like to say certain things on this forum. I too never want to scare anyone, but there are times, it is better to say things these individuals should definitely know.

There was nothing in any tests given me that indicated I was going to have a heart attack. And I am one that had numerous "Treadmill Maximum Stress Tests", many of which included the Pulmonary Cart that measures Oxygen In/Carbon Dioxide Out.

Those extras showed my excellent Pulmonary  and Cardiovascular Fitness levels, which were always towards the upper percentages for my age groups fitness levels. Even  though those many Maximal Stress Tests came out great, I still have had, like yourself, 2 heart attacks, but not near as severe as yours.

I hope you can continue to get the treatments you need after what you have been through with that doctor and your stent situation. It is easy for me to relate to the mental challenges of these very serious types of health issues. If you feel you need help with that aspect of what many suffer when they have a heart attack, please get what sometimes is necessary for many with CAD.

hckynut(john)

Thanks @hckynut. Funny but the nuclear scan I had with the treadmill they told me I had the heart of a 25 year old. That was only a year before the heart attack. It apparently did not pick up anything. They said all my arteries were clean. So much for tests.

Yes, the doctor that did the angioplasty in June of last year messed up big time. He sent my now interventionalist a report claiming he had already stented the area that gave me the 2nd MI in May of this year. When I tried to reach the first dr., he has disappeared and cannot be located. The office manager said he gave no forwarding address. Thankfully, I now have the Head of Cardiology of a major hospital in my area. So at least no more mishaps.

@Trinity11 That is stunning and awful.  My husband has a stent, before we left the hospital we were given images of the area both before and after the stent was put in place.  I just assumed it was standard practice to provide that to a patient.  It's great that you have care now that you can feel confident in.  Best of health to you. 

libby's folly
Respected Contributor

I am so grateful to all of you for sharing your information and experiences. My brother is going to have a test tomorrow called a Coronary CAT Scan Angiogram which supposedly shows the interior of the arteries better. He is having to pay for it because he is asymptomatic but wants to have peace of mind given our family history. I think it is considered to be one step below a heart cath.

Honored Contributor

@persiflage wrote:

@Trinity11 wrote:

@hckynut wrote:

@Trinity11

hckynut(john)

@Trinity11 That is stunning and awful.  My husband has a stent, before we left the hospital we were given images of the area both before and after the stent was put in place.  I just assumed it was standard practice to provide that to a patient.  It's great that you have care now that you can feel confident in.  Best of health to you. 

Hi @persiflage....I did receive a written report from the first interventionalist clearly stating he had put stents in 3 blockages and a balloon. I never received any images of anything. I am going to call the hospital records dept and see if I can get them tomorrow. Thanks for the suggestion. I hope your husband is doing well now.

Honored Contributor

@wonderfulworld

While I understand, to a certain degree, the purpose of Coronary CAT Scan Angiogram, while this procedure can inform a patient of the percentage of blockage(s), that is all they do. If 1 procedure can diagnose and repair, that would always be what I would choose.

I realize a Heart Cath is an invasive procedure, and I am assuming your brother has had a "Treadmill Stress Test" performed, his Cardiologist has told him what he perceives from the Stress Test results. If a certain percentage of blockage is shown, an Angioplasty(Heart Cath Procedure) will still need to be performed, at best. Could even require Open Heart Surgery.

I personally would prefer going right to the Heart Cath, as it can diagnose, and in many cases, also clear the blockage(s). While that decision rests with my Cardiologist, I have and still would, let him know I want a Heart Cath, not a procedure that does not include the ability to possibly repair. To me, while this Coronary CAT Angiogram, is useful, if certain percentage blockage(s) are found, an invasive procedure is still required.

My many different Medical Insurers, since the early 1980's, have paid for every Treadmill/Pulmonary Stress Test I had done. I had these tests done every other year, so I lost count of how many I have had over those decades. Since I had a Genetic Predisposition for CAD, all my mothers family died this Disease, thus these different Medical Insurers always footed the bill.

Best to both you and your brother.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

@hckynut wrote:

@wonderfulworld

While I understand, to a certain degree, the purpose of Coronary CAT Scan Angiogram, while this procedure can inform a patient of the percentage of blockage(s), that is all they do. If 1 procedure can diagnose and repair, that would always be what I would choose.

I realize a Heart Cath is an invasive procedure, and I am assuming your brother has had a "Treadmill Stress Test" performed, his Cardiologist has told him what he perceives from the Stress Test results. If a certain percentage of blockage is shown, an Angioplasty(Heart Cath Procedure) will still need to be performed, at best. Could even require Open Heart Surgery.

I personally would prefer going right to the Heart Cath, as it can diagnose, and in many cases, also clear the blockage(s). While that decision rests with my Cardiologist, I have and still would, let him know I want a Heart Cath, not a procedure that does not include the ability to possibly repair. To me, while this Coronary CAT Angiogram, is useful, if certain percentage blockage(s) are found, an invasive procedure is still required.

My many different Medical Insurers, since the early 1980's, have paid for every Treadmill/Pulmonary Stress Test I had done. I had these tests done every other year, so I lost count of how many I have had over those decades. Since I had a Genetic Predisposition for CAD, all my mothers family died this Disease, thus these different Medical Insurers always footed the bill.

Best to both you and your brother.

hckynut(john)

Thank you John for your thoughtful reply. My brother requested this test on his own. For peace of mind. His cardiologist did not think he should have it now due to the fact that he just had a nuclear stress test that found nothing. The cardiologist said wait a year or two because of the radiation exposure. My brother is in his 50's.

I don't have the impression that you can get a heart cath unless there is some finding on your personal testing..not just your family hostory. Am I right or wrong?

Honored Contributor

@wonderfulworld

My pleasure. Don't think there is 1 specific answer about your Heart Cath question. It may depend on your insurer and also how your Cardiologist writes up the order for the Heart Cath. If you and/or your brother are satisfied with the Coronary CAT Scan Angiogram, that is all that counts.

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

Thank goodness my DH's primary care doctor diddled around about scheduling him for his stress test (treadmill) because there was a very, very good chance he would have coded while doing it.

When he went to the ER with the "weird feeling", the cardiologist scheduled him for a heart cath where they found a 99% blockage in the widowmaker.  He said DH never would have made it through that stress test.  When we talked about them doing a stress test in the hospital prior to the heart cath, the doctor said a stress test doesn't show everything, things are missed and there are times a stress test has come back clear and a person has a heart attack shortly thereafter.

@Trinity11, that is beyond awful.  Is there a state board the doctor would be registered with so you could find him.

@persiflage, the cardiologist showed us the same thing,  He brought everything up on the computer in the room and showed on the image exactly where the stent was placed.      

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Lipstickdiva wrote:

Thank goodness my DH's primary care doctor diddled around about scheduling him for his stress test (treadmill) because there was a very, very good chance he would have coded while doing it.

When he went to the ER with the "weird feeling", the cardiologist scheduled him for a heart cath where they found a 99% blockage in the widowmaker.  He said DH never would have made it through that stress test.  When we talked about them doing a stress test in the hospital prior to the heart cath, the doctor said a stress test doesn't show everything, things are missed and there are times a stress test has come back clear and a person has a heart attack shortly thereafter.

@Trinity11, that is beyond awful.  Is there a state board the doctor would be registered with so you could find him.

@persiflage, the cardiologist showed us the same thing,  He brought everything up on the computer in the room and showed on the image exactly where the stent was placed.      

@LipstickdivaI found him today and he is in another state. Apparently, he has and had another license there and practices.  I am going to allow the insurance company, though, to get to the bottom of it. He billed them last year for placing a stent that was never there. It amazes me how he ever got his license to practice medicine. Also his father who was head of the group left with him. I found that out today.

Respected Contributor

I always appreciate when people report back with how their 'story' ends and wanted to let you all know that I did end up seeing the Director of Interventional Cardiology..the one who runs the cath lab at our local heart center.

He did a nuclear stress test, I walked on a treadmill to the end of the test, and a cat scan to assess my ventricular function and ejection fraction.  Not an echo like I had done years ago.

All my results were excellent, my cardio vascular fitness is well above average but he said yes I have heart disease. I come from a strong family history and have hypertension (well controlled) and mildly high cholesterol. He said the calcium scoring test does not tell him anything he does not already know and he never orders the test and says it is useless. People with zero have heart attacks and people with high scores are fine because they have good blood flow anyways..the important thing.

Right now he feels I am doing well on the prevention oriented side of things...but recommends the following: LDL under 60 (mine is now 70 so he raised my Zocor) , lose 5 lbs, Mediterranean diet, continue with exercise, 81 mg aspirin.

He cautioned me to be aware of changes in my health...becoming short of breath, light headed etc. Act quickly and do not ignore them.

He said of course I have some blockage...it is a fact of age and the disease but mine is not a problem at all yet.

Come back in a year if I continue to feel well. No cath lab for me...yet but with all they can do now in interventional cardiology I will be in good hand when and if the time comes.

I was the lone woman in a waiting room full of men!

Thank you friends!