Respected Contributor

Heart Palpitations From Blood Pressure Medication?

My girlfriend just starting taking blood pressure mediation and she now is experiencing heart palpations. This med was increased 3 times in a short period of time. I told her to call the Dr and tell him how you feel. Has anyone taken blood pressure meds with this side effect? I was looking you s/e of blood pressure meds and it doesn't list heart palpitations as a s/e though.

Honored Contributor

Re: Heart Palpitations From Blood Pressure Medication?

She needs to tell her doctor. I developed heart palpitations with my first BP medicine. It wore me down and I was so tired I felt I would pass out. I told my physician who adjusted my dose after which I developed an annoying cough but the palpitations were gone. After a few months, the minor cough dissipated. That is my experience, but I think we are all different and her palpitations certainly are something a physician should be aware of. Hers might be related to something entirely different. PVCs in couplets can be dangerous, very dangerous.

Trusted Contributor

She must call her doctor. It may be a side effect or something more serious. It really doesn't matter what other people here have experienced. What's important is for her to bring it to her doctor's attention.

Super Contributor

I also experienced some heart palpitations with my BP meds.....my doctor made adjustments and everything is now good. Definitely would call the doctor--best wishes to your friend!