Honored Contributor

Re: Heart ❤ Cath next week

[ Edited ]

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

@CelticCrafter, oh, ok, lol.  You're correct.  I'm still learning.  At least I now say A1C instead of AC1, lol.

@Mmsfoxxie if I told you what my husband calls it, my post would be removed.  Someone's initials!

Honored Contributor

@CelticCrafter, hahahaha, mum is the word then.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie wrote:

Hi, @hckynutjohn, I hope all goes well with your procedure!

Hubby had his procedure on the 22nd, this past Monday and it went very well.  No new issues were found so his, thankfully, he can be treated with medication.  He goes for his follow up this Friday.  He was given twilight and was able to tell them when there was discomfort during the movement of the catheter.  This was a VA hospital and I was amazed at how many people were in and out of his room preparing him.  At one point last week, it was thought that the procedure would be cancelled because when he went in the previous Friday for lab work, it was found that his A1C had gone up dramatically  into the 500+ range.  They called him back to the clinic to start insulin.  By Monday morning, it was 186 so they preceded.  I can't wait to set up his medical portal to see his official med report because his doctor versus the medical practitioner said slightly different things about the findings.

Anyway, thanks for asking and good luck.  Oh, may I ask what prompted your having to have this procedure?

@Mmsfoxxie 

Glad to hear things when well for your husband. What did the Cardiologist that did the procedure tell you about his results?  If my wife is with me during certain procedures, or vice versa, our doctors always talk with us right after the procedure. They do that while the patient is still in the recovery toom. With all but 1 of my previous 4 Heart Caths, I was wide awake and could see exactly what my Cardiologist was doing. Was pretty easy  for me to follow.

In my present issue, I noticed this when ice skating. I always wear my Polar Chest Heart Rate Monitor, skating and during all my workouts. Have been doing this since the 1980's.

Been back skating about 4+ years and pretty much knew where my heart rate should be depending on my type of skating. Beginning HR was always about 80bpm, and I worked it up to 120bpm for my warmups. At that point i did my stretches and started adding more speed types of skating. I kept my Max HR at 150bpm, and then slowed down.

At 1 session i noticed my Heart rate just skating easy was 110bpm. And gradually as I skated, not particularly hard, it would go up to 140bpm, and it was not coming down as quickly as it should. I thought maybe it just might be an "off day", which happens in skating and running.

It wasn't just that day, it continued every time I skated. I knew after my 2nd Heart Attack, when I was diagnosed with Congestive Heart Failure(CHF), that my Hearts Ejection Fraction(EF)numbers were too low. That is your heart's ability to pump blood throughout your body. But after 3 months I was able to raise those numbers to the 40-45% EF, an acceptable number.

Normal range for a healthy heart is around 50-60%. My first thought was that was probably the issue with my heart. It just started seemingly out of nowhere to me. 

Made my appointment to see my long term Cardiologist, and asked him if he would schedule an Echocardiogram to take a look at my EF numbers. Sure enough, they had dropped from the 40-45% EF numbers down to 30-35%.

He prescribed Entresto to help ease the strain on my heart. When I saw him yesterday he asked me if I preferred a Treadmill Stress Test, or to do the best way, which is a Heart Cath. I chose the latter because I want to see if there is possibly more Artery Blockage.

If so, if it is in a safe place, they could do a Stent Angioplasty, and do it immediately. If not, it may require Open Heart Surgery. If it is not blockage, it means my heart is just wearing out. I obviously prefer it being a blockage, and maybe a Stent Angioplasty, or the Heart Surgery. 

I will wait till I see the results of the Heart Cath, and just move on from there, whatever the outcome. For now I will keep moving along as usual, just not skating or raising my HR too much.

As usual, I am pretty detailed in my explanations, but that has always been who I am. 

My best to your husband,

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@hckynutjohn, I'm so sorry that your issue is as extensive as this.  My husband's doctor did say that he might have to have this procedure again.  By the way....I had the name of the procedure incorrect.  Several names were discussed in the beginning....cardiac catherization/ablation, electrophysiology study/ablation and another one.  He actually had the electrophysiology study with ablation.  (They all seem about the same to me).  It took about two hours instead of the 3+ hours they had estimated so that means nothing serious was found.  As suspected he has Atrial Fibrillation with a flutter.  He sees the doctor this Friday to check for swelling and see if the catheter punctures are healing.  Then he goes again in a month for an update on expected health improvements after his medication  treatment.  Medication is expected to give him his energy back.  Right now, he can't walk around the block without resting.

Best of luck, hckynutjohn!

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Super Contributor

@hckynutjohn  So sorry you are having to deal with this health issue.  Wishing you an excellent outcome.  Wishing the best also to the other posters having to deal with similar.

Esteemed Contributor

@hckynutjohn   Praying for a good outcome on your test next week!  You are always there for everyone here, let us be there for you.

It sounds as if you are on top of things and brought it to your docs attention fairly quick.  

We are all pulling for you!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn 

Dear John,

Wishing you all the best, and I will be thinking about you (and yes,

worrying a bit) 'cause that's how I am, until we hear from you.

Take good care, and Be Well, OK?

"Animals are not my whole world, but they have made my world whole" ~ Roger Caras
Honored Contributor

@hckynutjohn, I woke up this morning thinking of you.  Hope all goes well for you today.

Esteemed Contributor

@Mmsfoxxie 

Thank you for thinking of me. Everything went well with the procedure, and it even started early. Most times they seem to be way behind schedule, but I am guessing I was first for the day.

All my major arteries, including my 2 stents have no blockage at all. Good news, now it's a matter of how, and if, I can improve my weakened heart, once again.

Thank you so much for your concern, now I will do as always, look at how to recover step by step.

I hope your husband has been finding out what is next for him. Hopefully everything works well for him with his health issues.

Sincerely 

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Trusted Contributor

@hckynutjohn Good to hear that it went well for you today & hoping your heart keeps doing it's thing.