Honored Contributor

Re: Heart Attacks: Plant-Based Diet Exercise Solution

[ Edited ]

@Lacey1 wrote:

Someone could eat potato chips and drink beer all day, and still technically be called,''Vegan'.

Many people claim to eat, 'healthy'-but don't really.

The OP prescribes to a specific, structured, disciplined diet regime. It's not an accident or a casual pursuit.

LOL I went vegan for health reasons, although I didn't have any health problems at the time. And I read Ornish's book over 20 years ago, I've also spoken to Ornish on the phone when he advised me concerning my husband health issues. I used to be the big health guru, I'm just recovered now and realize that there isn't a one size fits all and I also no longer buy the lies that diet can prevent every health problem. 

As a vegan, I wasn't living on potato chips and I've never liked beer. Nice try though. 

Don't Change Your Authenticity for Approval
Trusted Contributor

Well, as I said many threads ago, (unless it got zapped). This started as an FYI thread. If you're not interested-okay. No need to get defensive. Everyone has a story about old Uncle Joe that smoked and drank, ate whatever he liked-and lived to be 100. Then, there's poor Aunt Sally, who ate turnips and drank tea-and she died at age 35.

The OP is passionate about this lifestyle. Please, the next time you see her nic-skip it!

Honored Contributor

@Lacey1 wrote:

She wasn't shaming anyone, merely offering a proven solution to serious illnesses that are getting worse with current mainstream medicine.

People can get very defensive and nasty when their addictive behaviors are challenged. Judging by the large font and red color of previous posts-I think a nerve was struck.

If you don't like the subject, move on-don't attack.

Thanks, @Lacey1 for responding on my behalf!

This post was originally deleted, but I edited it for reposting.

Heart disease, obesity, diabetes & other modern day ailments are not genetic.  The lady in the original post clearly proves that.

It's not a 'fad'.
It's not a 'claim'.
It's not an 'opinion'.
It's a Fact.

Diet can and DOES determine an outcome of many modern day Illnesses.

It's a Fact I personally know MANY which have reversed heart disease, cured diabetes & lost hundreds of pounds & maintains for many, many years by changing their WOE to a plant based diet. Sure, it would've been easy to pop a pill, like many, many, many people do, but they put in ALOT of hard work for months/years/decades to achieve optimum health. To reduce allllll that down to 'it's genetic'...I'm stunned.  Insult? Yeah.

Yes, I don't know why this topic always riles up many posters...especially with visceral comments. I've come to realize those that 'yell' the loudest are the ones that need to hear this message the most.

And I'll continue to share the facts & benefits of a Low Fat, Whole Foods, Plant Based Diet for those who are interesting in bettering their health.

Those who keep opposing this topic by responding?  I view it as a way pushing my Original Post to the top of everyone's Forum Feed.  More people read my OP about the benefits of a Plant Based Lifestyle!!

Win!

🍚🍠💛🌽🌺

Valued Contributor

I'd like to add something that happened that I didn't plan or set a goal for.

A few years ago I began to eat differently because a relative was telling me how good her food was and she ate very healthy.  I tasted her food and it was good.  It wasn't any special recipe but things that she liked she just put together.  At that time I didn't eat beans and healthy food but then I didn't eat junk food either.  I didn't drink pop because of the sugar.  I didn't eat red meat except maybe a homemade burger once a month.  I found there are a lot of good food I liked but never tasted.  My plate started to fill up with healthier food.  I felt better and lost weight. 

I went for my annual blood workup and my doctor was even surprised at the results.  My cholesterol was 160 and I was on no medication.  My glucose was 80 and no medication.  My BP was fine but I do take medication.  Even weight loss didn't lower it enough to go off it.  There is a high incidence of heart disease and stroke in my family and according to my report I was lower than average for heart disease.  This all came about from paying more attention to what I was eating.  One day a week I ate anything I wanted.  Thing is on those days I craved what I ate during the week.  If someone told me that eating like this would lower my risk of heart disease I  really wouldn't have believed it.  Believe this, diet does affect everything.  Now if I can learn to like exercise it would be nice.

My husband is a red meat eater.  Eats fats all the time.  He refuses to go for his annual exam and he has two stents that were put in 5 years ago.  He has stopped smoking.  He looks at my plate like it should be trashed.  I know I'm responsible for my health only.  No one will change unless they want to.

My dog is 3 and he gets part high quality dog food and he gets several vegetables and red or white meat.  I cook for him.  He also gets salmon oil on his food.  It was hard to stop my husband from giving the dog table food and I watch what the dog gets.  My last dog lived to 16. 

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@kismet

What a lovely testimonial!

And I bet your grocery bill dropped when you simplified your diet, yes?

It's unfortunate your husband hasn't put 2&2 together, but keep living The Example...he'll come around.  

One thing which might make your husband aware:

Men w/ heart & circulatory issues have a Great-than-Zero chance of Erectile Dysfunction.  It's not really a chance, it's almost a given.  THAT conversation always make the guys take notice!!  Adopting a low fat plant based diet...things start to 'work' better & the blue pills can be tossed.

Dog food: Here's a gal I follow on YouTube...she make vegan dog food using lentils, sweet potatoes, rice with additional different supplements each week.  She's a little chatty, so fast forward to 1:20.  Hope it inspires!

http://youtu.be/Wh0k_-iOi_o

Honored Contributor

@Lacey1 wrote:

Well, as I said many threads ago, (unless it got zapped). This started as an FYI thread. If you're not interested-okay. No need to get defensive. Everyone has a story about old Uncle Joe that smoked and drank, ate whatever he liked-and lived to be 100. Then, there's poor Aunt Sally, who ate turnips and drank tea-and she died at age 35.

The OP is passionate about this lifestyle. Please, the next time you see her nic-skip it!

Exactly.  Which just goes to show you, there is no guarantee, regardless of your diet or lifestyle.

I'm beginning to think it's the luck of the draw anymore.  

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Trinity11 wrote:

@sidsmom wrote:

"...completely fat free" is a misnomer.

There is no such thing as a completely fat free diet!  Funny.

That phrase is a huge red light the writer doesn't know anything about nutrition. 

Cultures around the world for generations...really for millinenia....have been eating a plant-based diet.  Heart disease, diabetes, obesity are virtually unknown within the communities of the Tarahumara of Mexico (corn as their staple), rural China (rice),  Central Africa & Papua New Guinea (sweet potatoes).   

It's not unusual to see First & Second Generation of families lean, fit, trim.  It's only when they move to a Standard American Diet (SAD), move to American, and raise their children on this diet....when Third Generation suddenly has heart disease, obesity, diabetes.   Third Generation is fat & sick & suddenly on all sorts of pills & medications.  Genetic?  Don't think so.

Heart disease, obesity, diabetes & other modern day ailments are not genetic.  They are manmade.   

People heal themselves with diet.

Food can Kill.  Food can Heal.

The decrease in mortality rate (outlined in the OP) is direct evidence our SAD is not working.   

Things must change.   

A low fat, whole foods, plant based diet is the only diet for optimal health. 

You claim to know about nutrition promoting a diet with no ADDED fat...a diet that may end up killing someone whose body cannot handle just eating beans, rice and potatoes. NO one should insult our intelligence with a one size fits all diet. People with Crohn's disease would end up in the ER in a couple of days...various other individual with iron deficiency would do the same. Diabetics blood sugars would soar with a diet of rice, potatoes and starches. NO ONE SHOULD BE SHAMING POSTERS HERE BECAUSE THEY HAVE AN ILLNESS. 

I appreciate your well thought out comments, @Trinity11Smiley Happy

It's a shame the way that these threads always take a bad turn like they do, because some posters have a need to continuously tell others how to live their lives, for some reason.

It's true that there are veiled insults in some of these comments, and it's a shame to see that happening, too. Denying it and twisting it around to avoid them, doesn't mean that the comments aren't there, either.

People need to take their own health into their own hands, and do their own research and in my opinion-listen to what their own health providers say. They are the ones who know that person's health history the best.

As mentioned here, just because someone is eating a plant-based diet, doesn't mean that they are particularly healthy. 

I knew someone who was very active and healthy, and that person just died recently from a massive-and sadly unexpected-heart attack. 

So, I wish that the negative and unkind comments would stop here, on what people are doing with their lifestyles, and what they are eating.

As I like to say, I think that people should worry about themselves, and their own lives, instead of trying to control others, and constantly telling them what to eat and how to eat, here.

To me, that is a choice that each person has to make for themselves. Constantly harranguing people here isn't going to change anything for anyone.

To me, the best thing that anyone can do is to worry about themselves, and what they are doing for themselves. No one else can make that choice for them, no matter what it is.

I personally don't listen to people who constantly belittle others, or who choose to harrangue them, either. It will get you nowhere with me, personally. It just tells me that someone has an unresolved anger issue that they are taking out on others on the internet, if they choose to do that.

As you mentioned in another thread Trinity, it can be really dangerous to fit everyone into a "one size fits all plan."

We don't know of anyone's certification or licensure on the internet. Anyone can say anything that they want to.

Honored Contributor

Given all the advertisements in America, it's obvious we live in a 'Meatcentric' world. There aren't too many, if at all, advertisements for produce.

I view it as a "David & Goliath" scenario.
In this forum, I do my best to provide opposing information to create a balance conversation.

If we "keep doing the same & getting the same results", the age of heart attacks will continue to decline. Are you OK with that? I'm not...and stunned people think otherwise.

There ARE alternatives.
It's obvious the run-of-the-mill doctor treating the average America is not getting it right.

The run-of-the-mill Doctor is like a bad investment.
Americans are 'losing money' with their lives.
Try something different!

Modern day illnesses are NOT genetic.
Never have been, never will be.
The woman in the original post, which NCB News featured, is a beautiful example what a plant based diet can do. It saved her life. Did she change genetics? Nope.

Like Lacey1 mentioned upthread, this thread is meant for people already considering this subject matter....because they are curious to try something different! Copious amounts of medications & surgeries is not the way to live...especially when all along, they had the choice to make changes.

There ARE alternatives.
Less evasive changes than cutting your chest open.
A Low Fat, Whole Foods, Plant Based diet is the easiest way to start!

🌻🍠🌽🌺🍚🍞🍅🌹💚

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Fortunately, I believe the many people look at life the same way I choose to do. I started living my life at an early adult age using this philosophical saying"

" Man was Born to Live, not to Prepare for Life".

"My own personal philosophy on life was/is: " I have never been concerned about the number of YEARS IN MY LIFE, rather the amount of life in my years".

"TO EACH BE THEIR OWN".

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

http://www.nbcnews.com/nightly-news/video/average-age-for-deadliest-type-of-heart-attack-getting-you...

Living Life & Life Worth Living.

So true.

Too many people are spending their life making Dr appointments, getting prescriptions, testing this, testing that, recovering from major heart surgery, worrying when the next shoe will drop....that's not 'living' life.   Like the saying goes, "We're not living longer, we're dying longer."

I re-linked the interview NBC Night News did about a woman, after having numerous stents, changed her live with a plant based diet.  She healed herself, her husband lost weight, her daughter lost over 100 lbs eating this way.  Medications are the thing of the past.  She cured her diabetes.

Again, those resisting this simple message are probably the ones that need to hear it the most.  If one makes it 'difficult', it will be, well, difficult.   Simple eating, simple living...more time & energy to Live the Life we were given...not sitting in a doctor's office.

It's not rocket science.  It's just a potato.  But it's amazing the power that little spud has!!!  There are alternatives...and diet plays a HUGE part with your health management.

A low fat, whole foods, plant based diet is the way, the only way, to optimum health.

🌽🌼🍠❤️💛🌺💚