Valued Contributor

Many thanks

Honored Contributor

@matty liz,

Two years ago when my mother was tested and got hearing aids, the process started in her medical doctors office with a basic hearing test.   With those initial results, she was referred to a local audiology clinic, where she was tested further and ordered dual hearing aids.   Mom purchased quality hearing aids, but not the deluxe package at $5000+

When the process starts with an established medical need, Medicare paid for the hearing exam, AND, the audiology clinic did not charge tax on the hearing aid purchase.    

I would not just walk in to a hearing aid business.   Our audiology clinic is connected to the well known local ENT practice, and is very reputable.   Do your homework and find what works best for you.    Best wishes to you.

Trusted Contributor

My husband went to an ENT for the hearing test, then he took the results to an audiology company.  His old hearing aids aren't working for him and cannot be adjusted anymore so he is looking at getting new ones.  His first pair were completely covered by insurance and no co-pay.  Now he is retired and on Medicare, but he found out his insurance will pay for new ones except for a $380 co-pay per hearing aid.  He has an appointment with a company recommended and used by the insuranced co. next month.  I'm sure they will try to upsell him as only the basic aids are free.  My 99 yr old mom got hearing aids last year and they cost about $4,000.

Trusted Contributor

I can't give you any advice on where to go to get your hearing checked.  I can tell you that I recently  learned that a good friend of mine who had significanat hearing loss received a recommendation from the doctor that he went to for a hering aid, with a significant price tag attached.  He purchased the same hearing aid at Costco at half the price!  Just an idea for you to consider.