Honored Contributor

Do you ever get used to them

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Honored Contributor

My father never really did get used to them. 

He would take them out as soon as he could.

Respected Contributor

Yes, my husband did. 

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Highlighted
Esteemed Contributor

I have threatened to divorce my husband if he did not.

Cogito ergo sum
Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox Absolutely!! It took me a couple of weeks to get used to having and using them, but after that, all was good.

I wouldn't be without them!

Respected Contributor

Yes, but it took awhile and a couple of trips to the audiologist.  But now I like them.

Honored Contributor

My father wears them, but his hearing is the worst.  He says he has trouble understanding high pitched voices...females.  So, I must lower my voice when talking to him.  

He's better with one on one conversations because voices are muffled when others are talking at the same time in the room.

He also says voices sound different. 

He wears hearing aids that cover his ears that are made by the German company Siemens. They are excellent quality, but even they can't mimic natural hearing. 

I'd expect more problems adjusting depending on the severity of hearing loss and the quality of the hearing aids. 

Honored Contributor

My husband is on his third set of hearing aids; the VA retests, and upgrades every few years.  

The first set was very underutilized, as my husband was frustrated with them from the get-go, and never fully adjusted to how they worked.   He complained about them all the time until one day he just boxed them up and stuck them in his closet.

Set #2 were digital; the settings were right on from the get go, sound quality was much better, and made all the difference with his satisfaction level.   He was never seen without them, and never complained about the devices.   They definitely made a big difference with his ability to hear; all of our lives improved with this set of hearing aids.  

Set #3 has only been in the picture about 6 weeks, but so far so good.   Also digital, and the factory settings appear to be on target.   These are rechargeable, no batteries, which is a big plus.  My husband complains now about how much noise I make; I make too much noise in the kitchen, I talk too loud, and I walk too loud.  However, if his hands are anywhere near his ears, the hearing aids sense that movement and I can hear the reactive sound, even if I’m in another room.   

Regular Contributor

As an audiologist who dispenses hearing aids, I advise my patients to wear the hearing aids consistently for their brains to get use to the amplified sound. Our brains process the amplfied sound, so we have to learn to filter out the sound with our brains - auditory figure-ground.  Some hearing aids have better noise suppression to assist in this process  Research is suggestive of a correlative effect between memory and hearing loss, as well as social isolation/withdrawal.  If the hearing aids are properly set, most patients should have more positive benefits than not.  When patients complain of hearing sounds, many have not heard these sounds in awhile, so they need to get use to filtering out unimportant signals (ambient room noises, speech chatter, etc)

Best of luck to all!  

Honored Contributor

@Suz614 

Thank you I was talking more about the comfort level I have not yer noticed a sound difference

@Suz614 wrote:

As an audiologist who dispenses hearing aids, I advise my patients to wear the hearing aids consistently for their brains to get use to the amplified sound. Our brains process the amplfied sound, so we have to learn to filter out the sound with our brains - auditory figure-ground.  Some hearing aids have better noise suppression to assist in this process  Research is suggestive of a correlative effect between memory and hearing loss, as well as social isolation/withdrawal.  If the hearing aids are properly set, most patients should have more positive benefits than not.  When patients complain of hearing sounds, many have not heard these sounds in awhile, so they need to get use to filtering out unimportant signals (ambient room noises, speech chatter, etc)

Best of luck to all!  

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.