Frequent Contributor

Re: Hearing aids, what's to know?

If you or your husband was in the service, go to the VA office & sign up. You can get hearing aids for nothing! My neighbor just got aids for both ears & is thrilled with the help he got. My brother has "top of the line" hearing aids in both ears....no cost because he is a veteran. Our VA gives very good service....physicals, prescriptions etc. Just thought I'd mention it in case any one is interested.

Honored Contributor

Jean Louise gave you excellent advice.

For my first hearing aid I went to an audiologist. She was wonderful. She determined the best hearing aid and worked with me and I know without a doubt - I got the best hearing aid for me. It was wonderful I had no trouble and could hear everything with no problems.

WELL - 2 years ago when I heard people raving about Costco and I decided to go there for my next set. BIG MISTAKE! It doesn't always pay to go cheap.

After I was fitted for my new Costco hearing aids - I was staving because I missed lunch 3 hours earlier. I went trough a drive through because it was fast. WELL - I could not understand one word that was being said. It was HORRIBLE! I kept asking her to repeat and still could not understand a word she said. Finally she said just pull up to the window. I took out the hearing aids and we finally had a conversation.

I drove back to Costco and he made some adjustments. But the hearing aids are nothing like my first hearing aid. I still use my first hearing aid if I want to clearly hear. I use the Costco ones for everyday.

The amplified sound in the Costco hearing aids is not as clear as from the hearing aid from the Audiologist. The Costco ones are OK and probably if I started out with Costco ones I would be raving about them right now. But I didn't. I started out with the best one for me and I have regrets that I did not spend the money I wasted on the Costco hearing aids and buy a hearing aids from my Audiologist.

Honored Contributor

Oh yeah, he's a vet and will go that route. Thank all you ladies for you help and I read him a number of your comments and he agrees. So we'll see what's what for him and proceed. Thanks again ladies, I can always get info I ask for here and I appreciate it!!

Honored Contributor

Avoid Miracle Ear. Dad had a lot of trouble with service with them. Fly by night franchise owners.
New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Frequent Contributor

My first bit of advice, go to a reputable audiologist. I have had aids for two years now, am in my mid70's. Once the initial cost is paid, there has been no charge for appointments for adjustments whether routine or if there is a problem. The only charges I pay now are for batteries and the part that keeps them dehydrated...you'll need to get one of these gadgets for that. My only problem is that annoying sounds are magnified, the washing machine, dish washer, etc. Sometimes I like my quiet world better and to be honest, I don't wear them all the time.

Frequent Contributor

My first bit of advice, go to a reputable audiologist. I have had aids for two years now, am in my mid70's. Once the initial cost is paid, there has been no charge for appointments for adjustments whether routine or if there is a problem. The only charges I pay now are for batteries and the part that keeps them dehydrated...you'll need to get one of these gadgets for that. My only problem is that annoying sounds are magnified, the washing machine, dish washer, etc. Sometimes I like my quiet world better and to be honest, I don't wear them all the time.