Honored Contributor

Hearing aids, what's to know?

Once testing is done and if it's determined that a person needs a hearing aid, what are some things we need to know? May not have enough people here who have experience with them, but I wonder, since no one in the family has ever had one until now.

Anything we need to know about them, how to keep them, info on them. ??

TYIA

Valued Contributor

Re: Hearing aids, what's to know?

Very expensive most places want money up front,a decent pair is over 5,000$, our insurance paid 1500$ per ear.I found after extensive research Hear USA ,AARP recommend them in there paper.They will help you with the financial part, and you don't wait for your hearing aids. We did a 1000.00$ loan paid off before a year, no interest. Also get batteries for 3 years I believe.Must take care and not loose them, I have to check homeowners insurance for a rider plan. My hubby can hear so much better now, we do fine that the soft spoken English movies are still hard to hear, I got him wireless speaker that helps with that. Good luck!
Honored Contributor

number one queen, thanks so much! That's good to know. Appreciate it a lot.

Frequent Contributor

Husband got his from costco. Saved LOTS of $$$. All hearing aids contain same guts. Service has been great. I used to get so annoyed having to repeat and yell when talking with him. He had no problem adapting. Our insurance doesn't cover hearing aids, but they are worth every penny we paid!
Super Contributor

I got mine about 2 years ago. I first went to my ENTand had the hearing test. I failed and he told me when I was ready he would help me get hearing aids. In my neighborhood I have an audiologist and went to her for my hearing aids. I purchased RESOUND for approx. $3000. She's worked with me during this time to adjust, instruct, replace... anything I needed to make my life (hearing) the best. For the price, I received 2 hearing aids (can't even see them; the small plastic tip inserts in the ear and the rest hooks behind my ear), I also got a device to adjust my hearing to different places (social settings, phone, etc and I'm able to adjust the volume). Plus, she's there for me if I have issues--no charge.She has since included a device that removes the moisture from the aids so I can hear better. I "cook" them in this device once a weeks for 3 hours). I buy my tiny batteries on Amazon, approx $20 for almost a year's worth; usually they last about 5 days before change is needed).

Hearing aids are not cheap and my insurance doesn't pay for them. But, it's up to you to decide if it's important in your life.

Frequent Contributor

The only thing I know is the place to go is Costco for hearing aids.

Respected Contributor

Don't recall the $$$ involved, but it was a great deal. DH lost much of his hearing when his fox hole was hit by a mortar shell in WWII. For a short time, he was able to wear hearing aids with very minimal result. Now, the audiologist and physician tell him that he can no longer be helped by the aids.

His comment to me has always been that they make the sound louder, but do not clarify the spoken words at all. The sounds are still garbled, just louder.

Respected Contributor

Yes, I was told to get a hearing aid for one ear. Costco uses the same top manufacturer and the hearing aids are referred to by different names but are lower priced. Last May, I looked into this and you can get a good pair for $1200 plus tax and it comes with either the remote control or the overnight battery charger. The plan also carried an insurance plan that if you lost or broke a hearing aid up to 1 or 2 years (forgot?), it would be replaced for free.

I'd recommend everyone checking out Costco because the prices are lower than those of any other company who will give you a discounted price on an older and less desirable hearing aid.

You can also go to Costco with your prescription and test out a hearing aid in the store.

Respected Contributor

I have the Moxi2, have only had them about 4 weeks now. Little tip goes in ear, the rest behind my ear, I can't even see them so I know that nobody else can. I could "hear" but i would depend on the full sentence since the sound was not "clear" - I hear so much better now and maybe to much, I can hear EVERYONE talking at work and typing on their computers!

My insurance covered 1800 but I still had to pay 4,000.00 out of pocket, sure hope they last me at least 5 years, don't want to have to pay that any sooner than that (or ever but, we all know they dont' last forever)

The gal helping me is amazing. She said to brush the ear piece off every day even if you don't see something on it, will help them last much longer and always put them in the case at night.

Let me/us know if you have anymore questions, I'm in my early 40's....never thought I would be in hearing aids WELLLLL before 50 but, just like some people need glasses, some people need hearing aids, they are both "aids" to help us function better and easier.

Valued Contributor

Perkup: Your husband may be able to get help from the VA. It's obvious his is a service related injury. My husband had extreme hearing loss later in his life from serving in WWII -- the big guns in his war zone were the cause. I only wish we had checked out the Veterans Dept. while he was alive because his aids were so expensive, I waited until after his death to go in for mine. We just couldn't afford both of ours at the same time.

I have a moderate loss in both ears. Our suplemental insurance pays $500 towards final cost, which I finance through a credit card. After seven years I think I need new ones, and will go to Costco for them. They are thorough and honest vendors.