Esteemed Contributor

I started answering you last night and the computer won't work. I waited to call my son for he wasn't home. He toldme what to do.You mentioned eyes. Yes I do wear glasses. I was cross eyed and about 5 I had an operation that did not help. It is very hard to see out of one eye only. It made me not to try things-driving-swimming etc. I have an appointment with a hearing doctor in a couple of months. I will then find out how how they fit etc. I do not believe I ask for advice just a persons opinion so I then can weigh the pros and cons.

Esteemed Contributor

I don't go out much to need it but if a doctor tells me it -hearing could get worse I probably will give in. Just my eyes are my main concern now.

Esteemed Contributor

Please do not assume anything about me. No one has walked in my shoes.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

I started answering you last night and the computer won't work. I waited to call my son for he wasn't home. He toldme what to do.You mentioned eyes. Yes I do wear glasses. I was cross eyed and about 5 I had an operation that did not help. It is very hard to see out of one eye only. It made me not to try things-driving-swimming etc. I have an appointment with a hearing doctor in a couple of months. I will then find out how how they fit etc. I do not believe I ask for advice just a persons opinion so I then can weigh the pros and cons.

You know I really admire your tenacity. You are trying the best you know how and sometimes it isn't easy.

I really hope that whatever you decide that it makes your life easier. It isn't easy living alone and I am sure it has been quite an adjustment for you @halfpint1 

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1  Glad you will be getting your hearing tested.

You didn't ask for advice but when anyone posts anything on a public forum, that's what happens! Smiley Happy

Esteemed Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

All but $200 were covered under my insurance @SeaMaiden 

@DrKelli 

Wow, I've never talked to anyone whose insurance covered hearing aids.  Do you mind saying which insurance co. you have?  I didn't think Medicare covered it, so I assume you are younger. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

I have a United Healthcare. I was shocked that they paid 90%.

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli wrote:

I have a United Healthcare. I was shocked that they paid 90%.

United Healthcare through work, through a Medicare Advantage plan, through a Medicare supplement plan, through an ACA plan? If you are willing to share; could you let me know which type of United plan. I am very interested in knowing. Thank you. 

Trusted Contributor

I realize this response is slightly off topic but in reading the responses to Hearing Aids it brought back some memories.

I remember my mother complaining about my Great Grandmother turning hers off all of the time.  It was as if once she was ready to be out of the conversations she would just turn if off.  Yes I had a Great Grandmother until I was in my Mid 30's so I remember her fondly.

My father wears one now, my mother can tell when he doesn't have it on.

Thank you for triggering a memory of my Great Grandmother.

Honored Contributor

We tried to get my FIL to wear his hearing aid. He would always start talking when someone else was talking because he did not hear them? It drove us crazy every time you talked he would say What, Eh etc. Now my MIL is 89 & DH said his mom is doing the same thing. DH has a low deep voice so people have problems understanding what he's saying.

I say if you need a hearing aid get one & use it. I will use one when I need one. I guess some have a buzzing noise in your ear so I would not use one of those because it would drive me crazy.