Esteemed Contributor

I think when @halfpint1 posts on the forums, she's not looking for advice or suggestions and that's cool.  She just wants to chit-chat. Dear Birdmama picked up on this. It's seems her posts are triggers for diagnoses and anger and gossip-posting about her like she's not here.   She admittedly says she's shy and has difficulty making friends.

@halfpint1- why do you think a hearing aid isn't warranted?

Honored Contributor

@qbetzforreal wrote:

I think when @halfpint1 posts on the forums, she's not looking for advice or suggestions and that's cool.  She just wants to chit-chat. Dear Birdmama picked up on this. It's seems her posts are triggers for diagnoses and anger and gossip-posting about her like she's not here.   She admittedly says she's shy and has difficulty making friends.

@halfpint1- why do you think a hearing aid isn't warranted?

@qbetzforreal.  I agree with everything you said.

Respected Contributor

For some reason many people balk when it comes to paying for hearing aids but do not think twice about paying for glasses.

My father wore hearing aids and constantly complained about the price even though he could afford to pay for them.

The OP's behavior is predictable.  (and that's all I will say)

Esteemed Contributor

@lulu1 wrote:

For some reason many people balk when it comes to paying for hearing aids but do not think twice about paying for glasses.

My father wore hearing aids and constantly complained about the price even though he could afford to pay for them.

The OP's behavior is predictable.  (and that's all I will say)

@lulu1 

In all fairness, the cost of prescription glasses vs hearing aids is vastly different. Not saying that this is an excuse for not wearing hearing aids if you need them, just that the cost is not at all comparable. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

There is nothing more infurating than having to start a conversation yelling because you know you will have to repeat it 3 or 4 times, getting louder each time because the person doesn't hear you.

For some people it's a vanity issue of wearing them, some it's the cost and others it's both.

I know someone that can well afford to buy them and refuses to do so because it's more vanity than finances.  If you start out yelling she gets po'd, if you get louder with each repeat she get's po'd.  After the 3rd time she makes believe she understood and by the answer you get know she didn't.  I don't engage in conversation with her unless I absolutely have to.

Today's hearing aides are barely visible.

Respected Contributor

Most people don't know I even wear one @CelticCrafter 

Honored Contributor

@DrKelli I'm 71, am on my 2nd set from Costco and they are GREAT.  I am another whom people cannot tell I'm wearing hearing aids, but even if they did show, I wouldn't care. The benefits would be well worth it.

So many people of many ages have them, it's just no big deal.

Valued Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

Anyone with a hearing loss? MY doctor thinks I should get a hearing aid. I don't want one yet. If I can't hear on the phone I tell the person to turn the soundup. Also put on the writing on TV. I don't think I need it yet.

I don't have hearing loss but from your description and with your Dr's advice it sounds like you are ready for one.  One reason not to wait is that newer research is providing evidence that there may be a link between hearing loss and cognitive decline in older adults.  Getting a hearing aid is part of taking care of yourself and keeping yourself in the best condition.  Please don't wait until you are having real problems.  I really admire that you get out and walk as part of your daily regimen. 

libby's folly
Honored Contributor

Good hearing aids are very expensive right now and not covered by insurance...

If you wait just a bit you will be able to purchase decent hearing aids NOT prescribed by a doctor and sold over the counter FINALLY!

https://www.aarp.org/health/conditions-treatments/info-2019/otc-hearing-aids.html

Respected Contributor

All but $200 were covered under my insurance @SeaMaiden