Esteemed Contributor

Anyone with a hearing loss? MY doctor thinks I should get a hearing aid. I don't want one yet. If I can't hear on the phone I tell the person to turn the soundup. Also put on the writing on TV. I don't think I need it yet.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1.  With the problems you've had with hearing noises in your house, I think you ought to seriously consider the hearing aid.  At least go talk to an audiologist and ask how it would help you.  No use going to doctor if you're unwilling to take his advice.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Esteemed Contributor

I have had a child with hearing issues and my husband with hearing issues....both have had to go to hearing aids.....it has made their life easier and those around them easier..................go for it......it will only enhance hearing for you.............

Respected Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

Anyone with a hearing loss? MY doctor thinks I should get a hearing aid. I don't want one yet. If I can't hear on the phone I tell the person to turn the soundup. Also put on the writing on TV. I don't think I need it yet.

I have had family members with severe hearing loss who refused to get hearing aids. They missed out on a lot, and having to shout for them to hear people became quite annoying after a while. Why not have an audiology exam?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

Re: Hearing Aids

[ Edited ]

@halfpint1 I have hearing aids. No biggie. If YOU have to tell OTHER people to turn THEIR phone up and you need the closed captioning on the TV, you have hearing loss.

Follow you doc's advice and get a hearing test. Why fight it?

At some point other people will get sick of hearing you ask "what did you say" and someone else will tell you to get your hearing tested.

Why go to a doctor if you won't take his advice? Trust me, your life will be better WITH them as I well know. But if you don't get your hearing tested you can't complain to others about your hearing loss.

Respected Contributor

If you are telling people to turn THEIR sound up--first, that won't help YOU at all.  And if you are relying on closed captioning, you have a hearing loss.  I got hearing aids at 56 because I had profound hearing loss in one ear.  I couldn't function at work--especially in a meeting because if someone was talking on that side, I couldn't understand anything they said.  That isn't a "THEM" problem, it's a "YOU" (or ME) problem.

Trust me when I say it is extremely annoying to someone when you keep asking them to repeat something.

Honored Contributor

@halfpint1 Years ago I had a close relative who would not admit she had hearing loss.

Finally a bunch of us told her "We are sick of repeating ourselves and won't do it anymore. Get your hearing tested." She did, got hearing aids and regretted not doing it sooner.

People will only put up with YOUR problem for so long and then they won't.

Esteemed Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

You are fooling yourself.......denial, @halfpint1  which is natural.  No one wants to admit this part of aging.  Everyone else is mumbling, people talk too fast, etc.  all common excuses to put off getting your hearing tested.

What have you got to lose?  By not hearing all that is going on around you, you are missing out and it can be an aggravation to those around you.  

One other thing to consider is that by not hearing as well as you should, you can be a hazard to others while driving a car.  

Something to think about.  I wish you the best with this!

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Respected Contributor

I always wonder why people are hesitant to get a device that will help them.  Why not get some help if it is available?

-- pro-aging --

Rochester, New York
Respected Contributor

My mother finally got hearing aids 3 weeks ago.  Her hearing is so bad we have to shout into the phone. she opted for the cheap ones. $3400.

Well she returned them yesterday. She decided they weren't worth it because people could see them in her ear and she turns up the TV loud anyway.

did i mention she had an accident a few days after she got them?  she didn't like them in her ears so she didnt even give them a chance.  she ran a stop sign and the other driver honked and she could not hear.  dinged her front end and she has no collision.