Honored Contributor

Re: Hearing Aid reccomentation

@halfpint1,

It has been 3 years since my 85 year old mother got hearing aids, at a cost of $2500.   

2 years ago mom was diagnosed with dementia.   Every day mom gets out of bed, takes her meds, including the one for her memory, and puts her hearing aids in her ear.   Altho my mom functions very well in her home, her Dr has already told me the memory medication is no longer working.   

The hearing aids have been tweaked several times and are at very high settings right now.  Mom swears the hearing aids aren’t working, and she is right.   However, the hearing aids themselves are in perfect working order; nothing is wrong with them.   

Mom is not hearing because her brain no longer recognizes the sounds picked up by the hearing aids.   This is not a fixable problem.  

Had we known dementia was around the corner, we would have never pushed mom to spend $2500 to get hearing aids.   Mom puts the hearing aids in the box at night, and I have never been called to go over and look for them, which is surprising.   

Mom does not have pets.  Both cats and dogs love to chew on the plastic ear pieces of the hearing aid; they are actually drawn to the taste of the wax from the ear.    My cousin has replaced his plastic ear pieces 3x because when he’s asleep, his cat jumps on his bedside table and chews on his hearing aids.  The dog chews on whatever the cat knocks onto the floor.    So far my cousin has spent more than $750 for replacement parts.  

In the past you have shared the fact you’ve lost your keys, checkbook, extra checks and credit card in your house.   Hearing aids are very small things to look for in a house.   Based on what you’ve been told, I would not be supportive of you getting hearing aids. 

Super Contributor

The cut-off date was January 1, 2012. Audiologists who acquired their credentials prior to that date are “grandfathered in” and do not have to get an Au.D. (or other doctoral) degree. And —- I totally agree tha Resound is an excellent brand of HA’s. I have been told (not verified) that Costco carries HA’s made by Resound under a different name.

Honored Contributor

@I am still oxox The ones I am talking about at Costco are IN THE EAR. I have seen them on my relatives and friends. In fact, they are so well hidden that I didn't realize they had them until I asked if they ever made an appointment at Costco. And then they showed me that they were wearing them.

Amazing how small and undetectable they are.

Respected Contributor

Please do not go anywhere to get them by yourself. Arrange with your son to accompany you to Costco or any other audiologist you decide on. You need him to help you understand and reinforce any instructions you might get.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Esteemed Contributor

Do you have to join Cosco in order to go to the hearing place there?/

Esteemed Contributor

Who carries Resound?  Thank you.

Valued Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

Do you have to join Cosco in order to go to the hearing place there?/

@halfpint1   I googled and it looks like you have to belong to Costco to purchase hearing aids from them.  A  membership is $60 and includes an additional membership for a person in the same household over the age of 18.

A search for ReSound hearing aids shows that they are carried by Costco.  It looks like they have good prices and that would make the membership cost worthwhile.

Good luck!

libby's folly
Respected Contributor

@halfpint1 wrote:

The one at Cosco --does it have a name? 

@halfpint1  The ones sold at Costco are under the Kirkland name but made by Phonics which the ENT sells.