Honored Contributor

Re: Hearing Aid reccomentation

@halfpint1 If you go to costco.com and put "hearing aids" in the search bar, you'll see all the brands they carry.

I'd prefer not to mention mine as you need to make your own decision based on what works best for *you*. And I'm sure there are other places to get good ones.

I happen to like the service at Costco and it's only 10 minutes from home.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@halfpint1 I'm assuming you are getting a set, not just one.

I personally got mine at Costco. Not cheap but are fabulous.

A relative of mine just got his hearing aids at Costco ($1499) and loves them. My sister has a couple of friends who also got the same ones at Costco for the same price and really like them. Also, my sister feels she needs to get hearing aids and plans to get the same ones at Costco as everyone she knows who has them is completely satisfied.

A much better price than some of the advertisements I have seen for around $3000.

Super Contributor

An Audiologist is NOT a medical doctor; an Otolaryngoligst (or ENT) is.  Some Audiologists have an Au.D. (Doctor of Audiogy) degree but are not “medical doctors.” The basic level of competency one should look for is a Certificate of Clinical Competence (referred to as “having one’s C’s”) awarded by The American Speech-Language-Hearing Associaiton. A Master’s degree, in addition to other requirements, is necessary to acquire one’s “C’s.” Having said that, I would still recommend considering purchase of hearing aids’ at Costco. They are excellent HA’s at an excellent price although most of the people who fit them do not have “C’s.” Since they are returnable, it might be worth a try after a “real” audiologist completes a thorough audiological evaluation.  

Respected Contributor

@sensibleshoppingsoothes wrote:

I have had my hearing aids for     4 years and have never had a moment's problem.  My internist recommended the ENt, who is wonderful, and the audiologist in her office has a doctorate.  I was told not to go to an audiologist who did not have that degree.  They questioned me regarding my life style, and since I'm in show business, I decided to get the top of the line.  That means I have absolutely none of the well known problems regarding background noise nor differences in effectiveness in small and large group situations.  They are self adjusting, which makes life so pleasant.  I see my friends having to grab theirs and try to adjust, when we go into a crowd.  Mine are perfect in every environment.  Now I did hesitate because of the higher cost, but they offered a no interest plan for paying out over 18 months, so that helped.  They check them regularly free of charge for the life of the devices, and give you free batteries forever.

I hope this is useful, and I do realize everyone's situation is different.

@sensibleshoppingsoothes  Could I ask the manufacture of your hearing aids?

Regular Contributor

Costco...

Respected Contributor

@World Traveler wrote:

@Love my grandkids wrote:

@halfpint1 I'm assuming you are getting a set, not just one.

I personally got mine at Costco. Not cheap but are fabulous.

A relative of mine just got his hearing aids at Costco ($1499) and loves them. My sister has a couple of friends who also got the same ones at Costco for the same price and really like them. Also, my sister feels she needs to get hearing aids and plans to get the same ones at Costco as everyone she knows who has them is completely satisfied.

A much better price than some of the advertisements I have seen for around $3000.

@World Traveler  Yes, first pair from COSTCO good price, worked fine. Years later from an ENT, $4,500 not so good.

Respected Contributor

A friend has been wearing Zound hearing aids for 30 years and loves them. The nice part about this company is when new technology comes out you are offered the new aids at a reduced cost.

Honored Contributor

I just looked at Costco's website and I am not sure they are selling hearing aides, they are calling them Hearing Instruments, this seems to only go behind the ear. The ones I have have a wire with a sensor in the ear also

Stop being afraid of what could go wrong and start being positive what could go right.
Frequent Contributor

I went to Costco 10 years ago for hearing aids.  The technician was obviously unskilled and had me jumping out of the chair many times by turning the volume too high.  She made the determination that I had serious problems and needed to see an ENT doctor.

When I went to the ENT she ripped me up one side and down the other for going to Costco because the technicians get a job there because they are the bottom of the baerrel.  She send me to her technician and I was tested again.  I had none of the problems the Costco technician said I had and no jumping out of chair.  

I ordered hearing aids and they worked well without problems.  Your experience with Costco might be different but I thought I should share my umfortunate experience with them.

Respected Contributor

I have ReSound hearing aids. Please don’t go to MiraclEar. You need to work with an audiologist and they can work with you as to which is the best choice. Mine had loaners so that I could test them out. All audiologists must have a AuD now. I’m not sure when the cut off was because one of the audiologists at the practice I go to still has her a Masters degree.