Honored Contributor

Re: Healthy or (almost healthy) Meals

[ Edited ]

Simple chicken recipe for lunch or dinner:

Grilled chicken breast on bed of lettuce with your choice of vegetables.  Or I actually saw someone throw olives around it yesterday.  Not my thing but I thought that was easy, quick, and different.  

Today my lunch is a the old standard PB&J but healthified.  I use:

Ezekiel bread

(I like the mutigrain version but they have all kinds so pick one you like.  This bread is usually found in the freezer section of the grocery store if they carry it and is gluten free if that matters to you but doesn't taste like it which is why I like it.  Fair warning: it is expensive, around $4-$5 a loaf)

All natural peanut butter

(That means one ingredient-peanuts.  I use Smuckers because it's the cheapest I've found.  You could also use any other nut butter you like such as almond, cashew, etc..  Most grocery stores carry these now or you can make your own with the Vitamix)

Note:  Don't be afraid of the separation of the oil.  Store the jar upside down and the peanut butter will absorb most of it which is what you want.  Pouring it out makes the peanut butter, especially, the bottom, very dry)

All natural fruit jam

(I use Polaner All Fruit raspberry but, again, they have all kinds so pick one you like.  Just be sure that your jam is all fruit and not any added sugar which is what most of them have) 

You don't have to get creative every time you eat.  Sometimes pulling out an oldie but goodie and choosing better ingredient options for it works just as well. You can go Elvis and do bananas instead of the jam.  Or just do the nut butter.  

Whatever you liked as a kid with the exception of the fluffernutter.  One of the best sandwiches on earth but not good for you!  And don't even get me started on nutella which is absolutely pure sugar.  Check out the first two ingredients on that bad boy. No, no.  Smiley Sad

My version of PB&J has solid protein, good fats, good multigrain carbs and a fruit serving with no sugar other than the natural kind all in one meal.  Add a glass of almond milk and you have your calcium for the day too.

People may make fun but it's a good solid nutritious meal that will keep you full and you didn't have to dirty one pan.  Just a knife or two.  Smiley Happy

Respected Contributor

I call adding a teaspoon of coconut oil (cold expelled pressed-organic) to coffee "Power Coffee"..  I have been using it for a year now as a medicine. 

I am Diabetic, I take Metformin and my A1c is 4.8: the use of coconut oil along with diet and exercise may have helped get me there.  If anybody is a Diabetic, do not have this without having your glucose meter on standby: be prepared to test within half an hour of your last sip. Do not even try this is you are taking insulin or non-insulin hypoglycemic medication.

I can't speak for any diabetics out there other than myself.  My personal goal is to keep my two hour post-prandials below 102.  From constant testing, I know that when I am hungry, I can predict that my blood glucose is going to be elevated. I am correct about 95% of the time. I know I still make insulin, but I have resistance going on. 

I can bank on a cup of Power Coffee made with a teaspoon of coconut oil lowering my blood glucose 20-30 points.  Hunger goes away and I feel comfortable. If my blood glucose is going too low, I have a controlled portion of carbs in the 15 gram range with at least three grams of fiber.

At least 8 oz, of water is always in order: it dilutes the sugar in your blood, but from my experience and testing, it doe do a lot for insulin resistance.

Also, be aware that a certain level of fat can increase resistance.  Using myself as a guinea pig, I have found that animal fat from cheese can cause that-but yet I'm fine having four ounces of grass-fed rib-eye steak.  I enjoy cheese, but I use it as a condiment in a measured amount.

I feel that everything I'm saying is pertinent, because you have to understand the context.  My diet is rich in nuts and seeds, and I emphasize green and cruciferous vegetables. Root vegetables and legumes provide my carbs.  I do allow some grains such as a smattering of oats and measured amounts of quinoa.  I am always testing: that is not going to go away.....and I have also spent a lot of money on test strips beyond the three a day that insurance covers.

The role of MCT$-medium chain triglycerides-are well worth paying attention to for anybody. Fats are no longer the dirty word they once were, but what you want to avoid is hydrogenated fats of any kind: what you want to buy is "cold expelled organic". Yes it is expensive, but you are not using a lot of it.  Remember, fat houses toxins and hormones which is why the quality matters.

Poodlepet2

PS: I do not use my beloved Stevia in my coffee and there is a reason for that, but that's another post....

Honored Contributor

@Laura14 wrote:
A great make ahead breakfast is omelette cups. Take all of your main omelette ingredients and divide the mixture into a cupcake pan. Bake in the oven and you have 12 mini omelettes you can keep for the week. Quick, easy and high protein with as many vegetables as you want to pack in there.

I personally like spinach, broccoli and just a bit of cheese. Others have done corn and hot sauce for a Spanish flair. Get creative with what you'll eat.

And a word about eggs: unless you've been told otherwise by a doctor, perfectly fine and, in fact, better for you if you use the whole egg. Most of the egg's nutrition including the Vitamin D is in the yolk and it really won't affect your cholesterol levels unless you eat them all day every day. Eggs are one of the best proteins out there.

I do eggwhite omelettes all the time at home because I'm just not a yolk person.  Even if I make egg salad, I use only the whites.  LOL   

Honored Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

@Laura14 wrote:

Sweet Potato Chips/Fries

This can be used for just about any vegetable but it's a quick and easy way to make a snack or side depending on how thin you slice.

I like sweet potatoes which I slice thin for chips or cut into thicker wedges for a side.  You can spray them with canola oil or use real oil in a bowl to cover and season them.  I use a non-salt seasoning.  

Toss them on a foil covered baking pan so they are lying flat and not on top on one another.  Bake at 350 degrees for about 15-20 minutes or until tender or for chips until crisp.  

Sounds really delicious! I need to use my oven more for vegetables. My daughter makes Brussel sprouts drizzled with olive oil and she sprinkles them with a little sea salt. They are soooo good!

This is one of my favorite things.  Our grocery store actually sells shaved brussel sprouts in a bag where the fresh veggies are.  I bought a bag once and decided to throw them in a frying pan on top of the stove, drizzle with olive oil and sea salt and a little pepper.  Yummm.  Loved them.  Sometimes I throw in some garlic too.

That's something I make when DH isn't home because he says the smell is nauseating.  LOL 

Honored Contributor

Okay I came across this peas recipe on a blog and had to post it because if you've seen any of my responses in other threads, you know I HATE them.  

Smiley Tongue  <------Me spitting them out  YUCK

But, apparently, there is a fan club for them so behold a healthy minty pea dip.  I figured with playoff season and the Superbowl coming up, you might need a healthier alternative and this looks quick and easy.

Note:  If you can't find tahini (ground sesame seeds in a jar with oil and spices), substitute hummus which is made with it.  It's pretty much the same idea for what this recipe is going for.  And if you can find garlic hummus which is usually in any supermarket, you can save yourself the garlic step and kill two birds with one stone and only buy one thing. Smiley Happy

3 cups peas
zest of 1 lemon
4 Tbsp fresh lemon juice
2 cloves of garlic
1/3 c mint leaves
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 Tbsp raw tahini (optional, but makes the dip creamy)
Sea salt to taste

Directions:
1. Place garlic cloves in a food processor and pulse to mince. Add all of the other ingredients and blend on high to puree.
2.) If you like a little spice, add a dash of your favorite spicy seasoning!

Honored Contributor

There might be something to that protein decreasing your taste for sugar.  In fact, protein decreases your appetite.  Years ago, I used to do the Atkins high protein diet.  Not only did I lost weight, especially in the stomach, I had practically no appetite, especially for sweets.

The problem with Atkins and me is that it causes extreme constipation problems for me.  I'm speaking mostly of the Induction Phase.

“You can’t wait until life isn’t hard anymore to be happy”. (By Nightbirde, singer of the song, It’s Ok)
Honored Contributor

I've seen threads on this before.  This is a recipe from a Chicago health coach that popped up on IG.  

Golden Tumeric Latte

1 1/2c coconut milk
1/2 tbsp coconut oil
1 tsp turmeric
1/2 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/2 inch fresh ginger, sliced thinly

Combine all ingredients in a small sauce pan, slowly bring to a boil. As it's heating be sure to continuely whisk until it becomes frothy and smooth. About 3-5 minutes. Reduce heat to a simmer, and allow it to sit there for another 3 minutes. Remove the fresh slices of ginger. Transfer latter to a blender, and blend on high speed for 30 seconds. This will add extra froth and fluff! *blender set is optional!

Honored Contributor

In celebration of the Vitamix TSV, I broke out my chocolate banana milkshake for breakfast this morning.  

2 cups almond milk

1 frozen banana

1 tsp cocoa baking powder (unsweetened)

Blend on high for a minute.

Very good!  Smiley Very Happy

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Also in celebration of the Vitamix TSV (QVC should maybe pay me for the promotion Smiley Wink), I found a healthy banana bread recipe that is close to one in the VItamix book that I've used before and really like.  

I substitute stevia for the sugar/maple part though.  This recipe uses oats instead of flour which is interesting and new.  I need to try this one!  

PS:  You don't need a Vitamix to make this but if it's anything like the VItamix recipe, you do need to eat it within a few days even with refrigeration and a special container.  It doesn't keep very long if you are one person.  

Healthy Banana Bread

Ingredients
3 medium ripe bananas
2 cups old-fashioned rolled oats
2 large eggs
¼ cup pure maple syrup
1 teaspoon baking soda

Instructions

Preheat oven to 350°F. Lightly grease 9x5-inch loaf pan with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.

Add all ingredients to a blender and blend until smooth and well combined. Pour batter into prepared loaf pan. (Garnish the top of the batter with thinly sliced banana, if desired)

Bake for 20-25 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean.

Let loaf cool completely in loaf pan. Store bread in an airtight container in the refrigerator.

Honored Contributor

For lunch I like to make a sandwich with a lot of veggies.

I use Sara Lee 45 calorie bread toasted, smash some avocado slices on one side, then smear some hummus on the other side, and in between I stack up a few fresh spinach leaves, a little grated carrots, thin slices of English cucumber and maybe thin slices of tomato.

I love it! ♥️