Respected Contributor

Re: Healthy Eating Can Become Unhealthy Obsession

Honored Contributor

Hi @QueenDanceALot ,

In my view the "diet", this works that works, many leave out the most important part, be it a physical or mental struggle. They seem to slide right by the word "WORK", while seemingly expecting "the program" to take them along for the ride.

I have found that nothing in life is successful unless the individual is willing to do the "work" necessary to achieve their goals, no matter how big or small. 

As you know with your background, not much can be gained physically, without some discomfort(pain), during the process and on a continuing basis. One has to be able to understand what their body is telling them, and then listen to it.

A growling stomach does not indicate "you are starving", it is a normal function of one's gastro system, and should for the most part, be treated as such. Same with a physical muscle ache. I've heard "I tore a muscle" more times than I can remember. In reality it is nothing more than an ache that many have not experienced because of maybe, their more sedentary lifestyle.

The only programs that have ever been successful for me, be it weight control or physical fitness, are the ones I put in the necessary "work", towards achieving my goals.

Have a nice weekend,

hckynut(john)

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

intuitive.jpg

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@Naturesbeauty wrote:
This is a good article: https://qz.com/1669418/the-problem-with-americas-protein-diet-obsession/. Enjoy 😉

Good article, but it seems to me that the macronutrient "du jour" is fat, not protein.  KETO diets are high fat diets and everywhere you look, it's KETO this and KETO that.

I agree that people should be eating nutrient dense food and not eating to a macro percentage ideal.

Respected Contributor

I took this topic to mean people who are devoting a lot of time and effort to whatever their chosen eating style is....along with a obsession to point out and critique others ways of eating in all other situations or events in their daily life.  I have had people do this to me as far back as when I was 19yrs old.  Eating lunch at work (hospital cafeteria) for some reason these folks seem to lack the impulse control to dine with others.  I see it here on these forums...a topic about a certain way of eating and then suddenly it's swamped with these folks over the top posts telling anyone that if they should choose to eat this way they are dumb.  

I have watched youtube videos of people only eating bananas for a yr....or all fruit diets.  They general are screaming at the camera and telling their audience how horrible people are that may choose to eat other things in their diet.  Behavior like this I believe is obsessive.  I don't comment on others food choices at family gatherings....events.  I typically am only concerned with my own to be honest.  If someone says they are fasting (had a cousin do this at a funeral wake) I see no reason to badger them on WHY.  It is their choice and they didn't ASK for my opinion on it.  

Honored Contributor

@hckynut 

Hey, John!

I couldn't agree more that doing the "work", whether it be with diet or workouts or whatever it is someone wants to accomplish is KEY.  So many people talk, talk, talk, but they don't walk the talk.  They want to be carried!

I would say that 80% (not a scientifically determined percentage!!) of the people who come to the studio I work out of want to lose weight and most of them need to lose weight.  There are some women who need to stay off the scale and focus on the work, but that's another topic.................

And some of these people expect me (and other trainers) to work miracles in 2-3 hours a week.  They don't want to address their diet or things they do outside of the gym, they just want us to melt the fat off of them without them having to do much of anything besides sweat for the 2-3 hours out of a 168 hour week.  It can get frustrating working with those people and I am thankful for those who actually understand that we work as a team and that they have "homework" to do!

I don't prescribe specific diets to people.  If people ask my advice on diet I ask them what their food preferences are and discuss options with them that incorporate their particular tastes, sensitivities, etc.  No one is going to go on a diet where all they eat are things they hate.  

Well, I could go on, but I won't.  Cat LOL

Honored Contributor

The minute something as "eating" becomes "work," I think it is going beyond what food really is intended to do.....nourish and enjoy.

I eat what most nutritionists would call a very healthy diet but it comes second nature to me at this point in my life. If I really want a slice of bread I have one but it isn't "work" to avoid starchy foods. If I want some chicken broiled in the oven with herbs, I eat it.

I do think that orthorexia is a real issue in this country because every other week there is some new study or diet being pushed on the public as the "healthiest." No dietary advice should be given as a one size fits all approach to nutrition. I believe that people should go back to enjoying their food not some self-prescribed diet given by the latest guru's advice. Food is pleasurable and if a person has to think constantly about "work" in regard to food then I think they miss out on a major pleasure in life...

Respected Contributor

I think in order to be healthy one must accept that everything you put in your mouth does not need to be the most delicious thing you've ever eaten.  Unless you're someone who just happens to crave and have a passion for kale and the like.  Yes, you need to like it and enjoy the food (don't eat things you hate), but sometimes I eat stuff more for the health benefit than that I'm craving it. For example I always have a veg with my dinner.  I might just prefer to eat no veg, but I eat it because my body needs it, and I pick a veg I like well enough. I don't always feel like eating a meal sometimes, whether it's breakfast, lunch, or dinner, but I try to make myself do it because I know my body functions so much better when I don't skip meals.  If I just ate all the things  I love I'd be a big fat pig with major health problems, because my palate loves naughty foods very much!  

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

The minute something as "eating" becomes "work," I think it is going beyond what food really is intended to do.....nourish and enjoy.

I eat what most nutritionists would call a very healthy diet but it comes second nature to me at this point in my life. If I really want a slice of bread I have one but it isn't "work" to avoid starchy foods. If I want some chicken broiled in the oven with herbs, I eat it.

I do think that orthorexia is a real issue in this country because every other week there is some new study or diet being pushed on the public as the "healthiest." No dietary advice should be given as a one size fits all approach to nutrition. I believe that people should go back to enjoying their food not some self-prescribed diet given by the latest guru's advice. Food is pleasurable and if a person has to think constantly about "work" in regard to food then I think they miss out on a major pleasure in life...

Great Post!

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

I have found what's good for one person may not be for another.  You have to find what works best for you.  I limit bread, pasta, sugar, and grease and eat smaller portions than I used to.  I cook with olive oil.  I don't eliminate anything entirely.  Those things I love but shouldn't overdo....  I set limits on.  An example would be "onion rings".  I only have them about once every 4 months or 5 months. When I do, I savor every bite!  I have found this keeps me from feeling "deprived".  Pick and choose wisely according to how your body reacts.  No one diet is right for everyone, imo. We are not cookie cutter people!