Esteemed Contributor

Re: Healthy Eating Can Become Unhealthy Obsession

@novamc1 wrote:

Awww, don't fret about what might happen to the kids of foodie health nuts.

I tried hard to get my two  very young sons to eat all the right stuff, stay away from the junky stuff.

You lose control when they're teenagers, get into sports and are hungry as bears, and are staying overnight at their friends' homes,  and running around with their friends to fast food restaurants after school before baseball, soccer, basketball practices.

The stricter you try to get  about food with kids when they are young, the more likely they might be to rebel  and ignore you as they get older.

I had two athletic hungry rebellious kids who are now in their 30s-40s.........and they are OK.--Watching their diets, trying to eat healthful foods, and not a bit of their good habits came from me as their Mom when they were little.  They just grew up and got smarter--and got influenced by their peers. 

The world is becoming more health conscious when it comes to food, one way or another, it seems.

I was very health conscious when it came to food for my two kids as well.  It "took" with the first one, but not with the second.  I can still remember when he went to a little friend's house for lunch and had his first sandwich on sliced white bread.  He came home just raving about it and didn't want the whole wheat bread we ate at home - ever.  And that was just the beginning, lol. 

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

At a friend's house, my  younger son dined on some boxed Kraft macaroni and cheese. 

He raved about it as though  he had died and gone to heaven.  To humor him, I bought one box, and that was the last that ever came into our house.  We never ate mac and cheese, anyway of any type.

He also was a candy lover, no matter how much I tried to get him to stay away from it.

Honored Contributor

@novamc1 My daughter has never, ever had Kraft Mac & Cheese!  When I did make mac & cheese it was from scratch.

Honored Contributor

Haven't had the boxed Mac and Cheese in years, but I remember loving it!

Respected Contributor

I try and follow the rule you read and hear about often.

Eating healthy either 90 % or 85 % of the time and the rest of the time eat things you want!

Just eat in moderation all things is also good advice.

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

Eating healthy either 90 % or 85 % of the time and the rest of the time eat things you want!

I do not think people know what MODERATION is... and this is just a cop out to eat junk and feel ok about it. 

Honored Contributor

@FlowerBear wrote:

@FlowerBear 

I never eat things I don't want to eat.  I like healthy food.  

I visited some friends recently for a few days and they didn't serve a single vegetable.  Well, no, they actually cooked the fresh green beans I brought.

My body was craving greens so bad that as soon as I got home I made a HUGE salad!!

Respected Contributor

🧁🍰”Life is short! Eat DESSERT first!”🍰🧁

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I am sure this is what I have.

orthorexia nervosa”

I was anorexic in my early teens to about age 23( 1971-1980)

I switched fom being really manic about just being thin......to being manic  about HEALTHY foods and taking care of my body.  I have been in the heathy active  lifestyle mode now for many many years.  I think it is a positive thing for my general health as I go into my mid 60's....I am average weight, good BP....no medications.  But I know orthorexia nervosa is a control issue....and is just part of my make up from past eating disorders.  

I eat a very strict diet....never stray.... lots of fresh vegetables....only low sugar, healthy fats....nutrient dense food. Always read labels and no junk food ever.  It is not that I do not think other food taste good.....I just do not ALLOW myself to at anything off the healthy food list I allow.

I am not concerned about it as I am not a social butterfly and so I do not feel like I am missing out on eating party or holiday food.  Many times friends and family make you feel like you are odd to not eat how they eat....( just like with Anorexia when you do not eat and people make comments)   I do think because of only eating healthy, am less social.  

I do not look down   on others for what they eat. I try never to judge others. 

It's all vey complicated.  Eating disorders, body dysmorohia, etc.  OCD is related to all. Very complex. There is a lot of genetic component, but, behavioral modification can alleviate some of the anxiety and obsession.  Most of us have a predisposition to be a little OCD in some form, but, the extremes are debilitating. 

Sorry for all who suffer. 

Trusted Contributor

[ Edited ]

@QueenDanceALot wrote:

@mom2four0418 wrote:

This is from the National Eating Disorders Association. Looking down on what others eat is but one possible symptom. As with all eating disorders, the person who suffers the most, is the one with the eating disorder.

WARNING SIGNS & SYMPTOMS OF ORTHOREXIA

• Compulsive checking of ingredient lists and nutritional labels
  • An increase in concern about the health of ingredients
  • Cutting out an increasing number of food groups (all sugar, all carbs, all dairy, all meat, all animal products)
  • An inability to eat anything but a narrow group of foods that are deemed ‘healthy’ or ‘pure’
  • Unusual interest in the health of what others are eating
  • Spending hours per day thinking about what food might be served at upcoming events
  • Showing high levels of distress when ‘safe’ or ‘healthy’ foods aren’t available
  • Obsessive following of food and ‘healthy lifestyle’ blogs on Twitter and Instagram
  • Body image concerns may or may not be present

HEALTH CONSEQUENCES OF ORTHOREXIA

Like anorexia, orthorexia involves restriction of the amount and variety of foods eaten, making malnutrition likely. Therefore, the two disorders share many of the same physical consequences. 

Some of us cut out a "group" of foods because our bodies don't tolerate them.  That's not Orthorexia, it's self preservation.  

If a person cuts out all sugar, I can't see how they will develop some sort of malnutrition from it.  And some of us don't tolerate dairy and suffer no deficiencies from avoiding it.  

There is a group here (and elsewhere) that insist we eat all things "in moderation", not considering that a "moderate" amount of some things is quite problematic for some.

That's not what they're talking about. Of course people cut out what makes them sick.
Most people (without a medical condition that precludes it), however, can tolerate 1 cookie once in awhile. Most people aren't afraid of a 90/10% approach.
Fruit is sugar. Many with orthorexia are afraid of fruit, for example.