Honored Contributor

Re: Healthy Eating Can Become Unhealthy Obsession

Yes and they  know I will never eat like this. I can't think of anything more replusive than a cooked carrot in a hot dog bun @Sooner 

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

I am not referring to the article ,but to posters, who won't stop trying to shove their food views ,on people who want no part of them

@cherry 

That may be a different topic, though.  Whether or not those you speak of are suffering from this disorder.  Was this topic started to discuss the general topic or certain posters on this board?

The easiest thing to do, IMO, is to just ignore those who you feel are "trying to shove their food views on people who want no part of them".

Honored Contributor

Easier said than done I think these type of people are just like the people on the posted article, only with a mission to change to world..despite the fact  not many want to be changed

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Yes and they  know I will never eat like this. I can't think of anything more replusive than a cooked carrot in a hot dog bun @Sooner 

@cherry   Is this a trick question?  Is the answer TWO carrots in a hot dog bun?????  Woman Frustrated

Honored Contributor

@cherry wrote:

Easier said than done I think these type of people are just like the people on the posted article, only with a mission to change to world..despite the fact  not many want to be changed

@cherry 

*shrug*  I find it pretty easy to ignore those who I feel are intrusive and behave in an obnoxious way.

Those wanting to "change the world" is another topic altogether, IMO.  There's plenty in this world that needs changing and I applaud those who work to change those things.  Off topic, I guess though....

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

I do not look down   on others for what they eat. I try never to judge others. 

@SeaMaiden We need more people like you. Heart

I'm not referring to anything anyone has posted on this thread, but I do find that what you have stated above has happened on other threads by some posters......people posting as though those who differ with them are wrong, and tend to be judgmental. When I see their name on a post/thread, I don't even take the time to read what they say, because I know they are proclaiming something that they believe everyone else should do/think.

I kind of go with the axiom of "It's okay for you to believe what you believe; it is NOT okay for you to demand others believe what you believe."

Respected Contributor

This is from the National Eating Disorders Association. Looking down on what others eat is but one possible symptom. As with all eating disorders, the person who suffers the most, is the one with the eating disorder.

WARNING SIGNS & SYMPTOMS OF ORTHOREXIA

• Compulsive checking of ingredient lists and nutritional labels
  • An increase in concern about the health of ingredients
  • Cutting out an increasing number of food groups (all sugar, all carbs, all dairy, all meat, all animal products)
  • An inability to eat anything but a narrow group of foods that are deemed ‘healthy’ or ‘pure’
  • Unusual interest in the health of what others are eating
  • Spending hours per day thinking about what food might be served at upcoming events
  • Showing high levels of distress when ‘safe’ or ‘healthy’ foods aren’t available
  • Obsessive following of food and ‘healthy lifestyle’ blogs on Twitter and Instagram
  • Body image concerns may or may not be present

HEALTH CONSEQUENCES OF ORTHOREXIA

Like anorexia, orthorexia involves restriction of the amount and variety of foods eaten, making malnutrition likely. Therefore, the two disorders share many of the same physical consequences. 

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky
Honored Contributor

@mom2four0418 wrote:

This is from the National Eating Disorders Association. Looking down on what others eat is but one possible symptom. As with all eating disorders, the person who suffers the most, is the one with the eating disorder.

WARNING SIGNS & SYMPTOMS OF ORTHOREXIA

• Compulsive checking of ingredient lists and nutritional labels
  • An increase in concern about the health of ingredients
  • Cutting out an increasing number of food groups (all sugar, all carbs, all dairy, all meat, all animal products)
  • An inability to eat anything but a narrow group of foods that are deemed ‘healthy’ or ‘pure’
  • Unusual interest in the health of what others are eating
  • Spending hours per day thinking about what food might be served at upcoming events
  • Showing high levels of distress when ‘safe’ or ‘healthy’ foods aren’t available
  • Obsessive following of food and ‘healthy lifestyle’ blogs on Twitter and Instagram
  • Body image concerns may or may not be present

HEALTH CONSEQUENCES OF ORTHOREXIA

Like anorexia, orthorexia involves restriction of the amount and variety of foods eaten, making malnutrition likely. Therefore, the two disorders share many of the same physical consequences. 

Some of us cut out a "group" of foods because our bodies don't tolerate them.  That's not Orthorexia, it's self preservation.  

If a person cuts out all sugar, I can't see how they will develop some sort of malnutrition from it.  And some of us don't tolerate dairy and suffer no deficiencies from avoiding it.  

There is a group here (and elsewhere) that insist we eat all things "in moderation", not considering that a "moderate" amount of some things is quite problematic for some.

Respected Contributor

as soon as i read this, one poster came to mind. 

Respected Contributor

@kittyloo wrote:

as soon as i read this, one poster came to mind. 

This thread is about an eating disorder. Do you have personal knowledge that a poster has one?

“The soul is healed by being with children.”
— Fyodor Dostoyevsky