Respected Contributor

Re: Healthy Eating Can Become Unhealthy Obsession

[ Edited ]

My DH is a prime example of how a plant-based diet can kill, and how one's diet needs to adjust according to his regularly monitored blood "numbers".

He suffered a  near-fatal pulmonary embolism years ago, caused by a leg clot  that went to his lung after long hours on airplanes and long road trips to see family members who were near death.

Doctors determined that he has an inherent blood factor that promotes clotting.

Therefore, onto a blood thinning medication he went and was prescribed a diet that forbids all but minor amounts of many "plants"---cabbage, brussels sprouts, asparagus, broccoli, kale, collards, spinach,  cucumbers with peelings still on,  cranberries,  anything that contains large amounts of Vitamin K.

He has to check his blood  every two weeks and report the results to a higher authority.  If he's late calling them, they call him. 

He's approaching the ripe old age of 79 and still goes to the gym and exercise classes almost daily.

If he relied on a plant-based diet, he'd probably be dead by now.  And he's a Southern dude who loves his vegetables and misses those he is allowed to eat only minimally.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I don't know if this is something that might help him. I had a friend who had something like this wrong with him ,and he gave blood regularly to help  with his problems

He had so many clots in his leg they put a screen/ mesh in, to prevent them from traveling

Good luck @novamc1 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@cherry 

DH had a filter put in before having some shoulder surgery.  I don't think anyone wants his blood---he takes several drugs that probably ruin it for anyone else, but that's an interesting concept.

He hasn't formed any clots since the first one that was seriously misdiagnosed after it went to his lung.  Among the bogus diagnoses he was given were asthma and later pneumonia.

Was given drugs for  those things to no avail.  One night he just plain ran out of oxygen and couldn't even get out of a chair.  I called an ambulance.  From there, it was intensive care for quite a while.

When I blessed out the two doctors who, one after the other,  misdiagnosed him, I was told by one that she didn't suspect a clot because "he didn't fit the profile".

Well............I asked her how many times a man has to visit the same medical practice before someone figures out why he can't breathe.   And what, exactly, is the "profile" of a person likely to have a blood clot that is causing chest pain.

She was dismissed from the practice by the head doctor and was  practicing somewhere out West after that.  Luckily, the head doctor is a personal acquaintance of ours and was horrified when I told him what had happened. 

He diligently led DH to a decent recovery and continuing care after that.