Respected Contributor

Health experts working on virus vaccine......will take time, they say

[ Edited ]

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/20/health/coronavirus-nih-vaccine-development/index.html

The NIH doctor quoted in this story and seen on TV news shows every day lately is a hero behind many infectious disease breakthroughs over the years--including AIDS.

I'm amazed he hasn't retired yet.  I guess he just hasn't finished saving the world.........LOL!!

I was surprised to read that the latest virus is supposedly spread from animals to humans.

Esteemed Contributor

Re: Health experts working on virus vaccine......will take time, they say

You think?  Not news.

Visitor

Just wipe yourself down with a Lysol or Clorox wipe....it's listed on the back label. Lol

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Still Raining 

Some people who post here know everything about everything already..........not everyone  (including me)  does.  

Honored Contributor

They better hurry.  I heard it takes at least a year to develop a vaccine...then it may mutate.  Maybe the developer needs to put on a second shift.

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Kachina624 

People at more than  one research institution  probably are working on it--just like more than one research group is working on the "universal flu vaccine", which we are told is under development.

The time lag in getting something new to  the market--as always with any drug or vaccine--is caused by time to finish  testing and regulatory approval.

Honored Contributor

Under special circumstances a vaccine, or other drug, can be released and used without the FDA's approval. In that case it's called "experimental" and is not covered by any insurance. You take it at your own risk and pay for all of it out of pocket.

Respected Contributor

@SilleeMee 

One  place where these "experimental" drugs are used is here at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, MD.

https://clinicalcenter.nih.gov/

I have known people with the types of conditions that NIH wants to study who get admitted to their research hospital in hopes of a treatment or cure for a terminal illness--with no guarantees but also free of charge.

Unfortunately, I will never forget the person I knew well who died there of incurable cancer.

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@novamc1 

The experimental drugs are also used on our military members. I remember my dad, who was in the Army,  taking ibuprofen way back before it was even known about. It wasn't until years later that he told me about even more drugs they used on them. 

Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SilleeMee 

After horror stories that came out many years ago, I'm pretty sure that the days when experimental treatments and  drugs are given to unwitting "test subjects"  are over.

Tylenol must have been one of the more benign experiments !!