Respected Contributor

My doctor is gradually tapering me down to a lower dose of a medication I've been taking for a long time. The result has been crushing headaches.

I checked with her and she said, yes, some people do have that reaction. So I'm not worried that I have any kind of brain issue, but I sure do wish these headaches would go away (I forgot to ask her how long I should expect to have them).

As if that weren't enough, my pain clinic doctor wants to decrease my pain medication, which is not going to work very well for me. I need MORE medication, not less. They've suggested a variety to techniques--such as meditation and self hypnosis which I'd like to try but when the pain is so intense, I can't concentrate. 

So what is there to do? It does seem like it's one thing after another.

I often take comfort--and amusement--from my favorite SNL charcter Roseanne Roseannadanna, and her philosophy, "If it's not one thing, it's another. It's always SOMETHING!" Truer words have seldom been spoken. 

PS: I always laughed uproariously at her comment to someone, "Hey, you talk pretty good for someone from New Jersey!" (DH and I were married in NJ so that always makes me laugh.) Gilda Radner was one of a kind.

Have a good day, everyone, on my behalf because I don't think I will. I'll try, though.

Respected Contributor

I don't have any suggestions for you, but I hope someone here will.  I'm so sorry for your pain and headaches.  I cannot even imagine your misery.  Please--Do know that I appreciate that you keep your sense of humor, and I wish you relief.  

Honored Contributor

So Sorry you are dealing with pain. It's the worse thing ever. I know what you mean about not being able to concentrate when you are in pain.

When I had Shingles I was in so much pain I thought it would never stop. After about 6 months I told DH if it did not stop soon I was not going to be here. Yes it was that bad.

I did not have a life period. All I could do is just sit there in excruciating pain. Don't know how they expect you to do anything when you are in pain like that. That's all you can think about. It consumes your life.

The doctors will continue to cut back your medication if it's pain medication. They don't want to get people hooked on them. Plus the laws now that's what they are suppose to do. Hooked or not if you have that kind of pain you need it.

The medication the doctor gave me did not do squat. You name it I tired it. Nothing worked. I did not know what pain was until I had Shingles.

I'm not sure what kind of headaches you are having but you might try some Life-Flo pure magnesium oil spray before bed. I use it for muscle spasms. One of my friends tried it because she does not sleep well. She said it helps plus she noticed it helps with her headaches.

Hope you can find some type of pain relief.

Trusted Contributor

I am so very sorry!! I do have an idea.  Maybe try acupuncture.  I know a lot of people would never try it.  It's a personal thing.  I once had a frozen shoulder.  Had been going for physical therapy.  Very painful.  I also suffered from migraines.  (have had migraines all of my adult life).  I went for my migraines.  Didn't help.  But they asked if I had other issues.  I mentioned my shoulder.  So they added for this issue.  It was a miracle for me.  I'm not saying it works for everyone.  And I know a lot of people don't believe.  But in some circumstances...you have nothing to loose.  And if it helps...Great.  Best of luck to you.

Honored Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

My doctor is gradually tapering me down to a lower dose of a medication I've been taking for a long time. The result has been crushing headaches.

I checked with her and she said, yes, some people do have that reaction. So I'm not worried that I have any kind of brain issue, but I sure do wish these headaches would go away (I forgot to ask her how long I should expect to have them).

As if that weren't enough, my pain clinic doctor wants to decrease my pain medication, which is not going to work very well for me. I need MORE medication, not less. They've suggested a variety to techniques--such as meditation and self hypnosis which I'd like to try but when the pain is so intense, I can't concentrate. 

I often take comfort--and amusement--from my favorite SNL charcter Roseanne Roseannadanna, and her philosophy, "If it's not one thing, it's another. It's always SOMETHING!" Truer words have seldom been spoken. 

PS: I always laughed uproariously at her comment to someone, "Hey, you talk pretty good for someone from New Jersey!" (DH and I were married in NJ so that always makes me laugh.) Gilda Radner was one of a kind.

Have a good day, everyone, on my behalf because I don't think I will. I'll try, though.

@GoneButNotForgotten.  As Kelly Clarkson says, "if you're not having a good day, CHANGE IT!"

New Mexico☀️Land Of Enchantment
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 Well that's easy for someone to say who isn't in constant pain, isn't it?  Good grief.

Honored Contributor

@Love my grandkids.  Do you have to grumble at everybody about everything?  You need a change of attitude.

Highlighted
Honored Contributor

@Kachina624 wrote:

@GoneButNotForgotten.  As Kelly Clarkson says, "if you're not having a good day, CHANGE IT!"

@Kachina624 @GoneButNotForgotten 

Evidently you have never had the type of pain she is talking about?

I did not know what pain was until I had Shingles.

You cannot change your life when you are in pain like that it consumes your life.

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz.  As I recall, with all of your shingles pain you were unwilling to get the vaccine to prevent a reoccurance.

If I was in agony, I wouldn't be here posting so I assume someone who is, is having at least a so-so day.  No harm in trying to cheer her up.  Or would you rather have doom and gloom?

Honored Contributor

@Nightowlz wrote:

@Kachina624 wrote:

@Kachina624 @GoneButNotForgotten 

Evidently you have never had the type of pain she is talking about?

I did not know what pain was until I had Shingles.

You cannot change your life when you are in pain like that it consumes your life.

My grandmother and MIL both had shingles and I do believe they were *mild* cases.

It wasn't till I saw your posts @Nightowlz and others here about the unbelievable (lasting) pain that I got vaccinated by the original and the later 2 dose shot (which I just completed last month).