QVC Customer Care

Re: Having to be at the hospital or surgicenter these ridiculous early hours for surgery or tests.

QVC Customer Care

Re: Having to be at the hospital or surgicenter these ridiculous early hours for surgery or tests.

This post has been removed by QVC because it is rude and insulting to other posters

Respected Contributor

Always book the first case in the morning.  There's no guarantee of times and the later in the day, there is more of a chance that you will be bumped because of emergencies.  The booking time is just that, you are on the schedule for the day.  If an emergency comes in you and your Drs OR time is pushed back..you could be waiting till 11pm...

Honored Contributor

@meem120 wrote:

Always book the first case in the morning.  There's no guarantee of times and the later in the day, there is more of a chance that you will be bumped because of emergencies.  The booking time is just that, you are on the schedule for the day.  If an emergency comes in you and your Drs OR time is pushed back..you could be waiting till 11pm...

All of this, and knowing that times on a surgery schedule are only guidelines anyway. The surgeon or anesthesiologist might be late, they might need to wait on labs, and commonest of all, the surgery or procedure just takes longer than anticipated for many reasons.

A family member recently had surgery that lasted almost an "extra" 90 min from what we were told to anticipate, because things got complicated. When I had my hysterectomy they started half an hour late, and because of unforeseen complications my routine 2 hr surgery took 5-1/2 hrs. They had to shift everyone scheduled in "my" OR to other rooms and others' surgeries were delayed. 

Even "early" surgeries can be delayed; both of my 8:30 a.m. cataract surgeries were.

Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Respected Contributor

I had similar situation when my son was 3months old and needed hernia surgery. My daughter had her hernia repairs in our local hospital and did well, but she was 9 months the first time and 6 years the second ( in those days they only checked for a second hernia in boys ). Due to anesthesia in infant we needed to drive 1 hour (if no traffic) to major med center. He was NPO after midnight and had to be at med center at 5 am. Poor baby couldn't eat all that time and we had to get up at 3:15 to get ready! I fully understand! Good luck and God bless.

Never underestimate the power of kindness.
Esteemed Contributor

My surgery April 19th is two hours away. We are going the night before and spending the night.

Respected Contributor

I too prefer the earliest possible appointment. Can't sleep prior to (anxiety) and the shower with antiseptic soap and no moisturizer after, skin feels awful. Can't get it over with soon enough 😳

Respected Contributor

@151949  You need to move closer to a major hospital.  You have too many conflicts with your halfa%% medical system out in the sticks.

Esteemed Contributor

Someone else mentioned it. The best bet is to stay at a motel or hotel the night before a procedure.

I happen to like being first because if the person or persons before you have a complication, you're still going to be waiting.

Honored Contributor

Give me an early appointment for surgery any old day! We live an hour away from our PCP and I would gladly get up at 3:30/4:30am for a first surgery! 

"Pure Michigan"