Respected Contributor

Re: Having cataract surgery tomorrow. A little nervous.

From what I remember, the first day I was seeing things wiggly but it was pretty much immediate. I didn't have to wear any corrective lenses. Seems that I had to wear an eye patch for maybe a week after. I was so excited to be able to see that I really didn't pay much attention to the recovery period. Since I had each eye done a couple weeks apart, I guess it wasn't much of an issue for me.

Regular Contributor

@ECBG @Mine was  20/20. I am using 1.5 correction a year later for closeup. Distance is great. 

Regular Contributor

Thank you everybody for all your replie. It’s Robin I had it done yesterday. I'm glad I did both eyes at the same time so I can get it over with. It's amazing that I can see the television without having to wear glasses lol. I think it's just gonna take a little bit for my eyes to adjust to have perfect vision. But so far it's amazing and it wasn't bad at all. I think just the thought of having your eyes worked on was scary for me. Thank you again Robin

Respected Contributor

I'm so glad it went well for you. I had my cataracts taken care of just before the pandemic...I was a little nervous about it but now I'm glad I did it. Enjoy your new world of good vision!

Trusted Contributor

How do you keep from moving your eye when they do it?

Esteemed Contributor

@BoopOMatic wrote:

How do you keep from moving your eye when they do it?

@BoopOMatic 

They do spray your eyes prior to doing the surgery. Not sure beside deadening it, but it might also effect the nerves or electronic signals that run from the brain.

Beats me! Next time I see my nephew, who is an Anesthesiologist, I will ask him. Never gave it a thought, before/during or after both cataract surgeries.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

They do spray your eyes prior to doing the surgery.

not always...mine didn't

Trusted Contributor

What I remember before starting the procedure the doctor told me that if I felt I needed to sneeze or cough to raise my hand and he would stop until sneeze/cough left.  Thankfully that never happened.  What I found amazing and funny was being able to see colors as they really are!  I had a sweater that I thought was green and turned out it was a really ugly gray lol.  Never wore it again.

Esteemed Contributor

@GoneButNotForgotten wrote:

They do spray your eyes prior to doing the surgery.

not always...mine didn't

Nothing was sprayed during mine.  I had an IV inserted in my arm just before.  I'm assuming it had some numbing meds and relaxing meds,too.  Felt nothing.

Trees are the lungs of the Earth
Trusted Contributor

@Robin1869  Thanks for letting us know how it went.  I'm soooooo squeamish about having someone work on my eyes.  I'm due to have mine removed any time in the next 5 years and I'm scared sh**.  Another thing is, I'm afraid to see what I really look like!

I always wanted to get the bags under my eyes removed too, but I chickened out after consultations with 3 different docs. (now I use Genie; works great, but it's a pita to get right)   

Wear a mask. Social distance. Be part of the solution - not part of the problem.