Respected Contributor

Re: Having cataract surgery tomorrow. A little nervous.

I have to set up surgery soon, too. I'm waiting for after the holidays. I've also been nervous about it, and putting it off for too long.

Then my brother went in for the procedures and reassured me that it was a breeze for him. He was so excited to report: "I can see like an eagle, now." 

Now I have renewed confidence. Seeing like an eagle sounds pretty awesome :-).

Respected Contributor

I was so worried about my surgery that, by the time the day arrived, I was physically sick. Mine were done two weeks apart. The absolute best thing I've ever had done to myself. I was surprised about how bad my eyes had become and was in awe seeing the leaves in the trees, the birds flitting about, everything! No pain but I did take the pain meds the first two days to make sure I wouldn't have pain. My doctor suggested I take them right away because they would take a little time before working. My eyes were really bad, 320/340, and were 20/20 afterwards, and have remained the same in the past 3 years. You will love the results!

Honored Contributor

Usually done 2 to 3 weeks apart.  

Honored Contributor

Nice to have both done at the same time, I would guess.  However, I can't imagine how to do all the required drops with both eyes being done at once.  But then, again, I had only me to put the drops in!

Regular Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Krimpette  I had both eyes done a week apart. During recovery for first eye the nurse pointed out a white "cottage cheese blob in inside corner of surgery eye;  this a corticosteroid that surgeon implanted in my eye. This implant eliminates the need for post surgery eye drops. It dissolves within 2-3 weeks. This procedure is covered by insurance (Medicare) and eliminates the need for additional expense and scripts  along with following a time schedule for administering eye drops. 

Honored Contributor

@Hilery @Krimpette @Shelbelle @Carolina925 

May I please ask how your vision was right after the procedure  please?

Honored Contributor

I hope you do well.  I'm having it done in January or February. 

Respected Contributor

It is  normal to be nervous about surgery but it's nothing really.   I had one eye done  at a time.  It is all the drops after that bugs me. I had to wear an eye patch on my eyes.  

I have also had cornea transplants.  Came through with that as well.  Longer recovery time  but I made it.  I had to lay on my back as much  as possible for three days when I had those done.  That was a drag.

Esteemed Contributor

@Puppy Lips wrote:

I had it done two years ago, one eye at a time.  It really is quick and easy.  I had lens put in so I could see without contacts or glasses.  It really is like a miracle.  I had worn glasses since 2nd grade.

I did have to cover my eye at night, and put drops in for about two weeks.

You will be fine and will love the results, I am sure.

@Puppy Lips 

I too had a Multi-focal iol put in my left eye. I had worn trifocals for many years and after that surgery I have no lo ger needed glasses to read anything. Also do not need them to drive, so that is no longer on my drivers license.

Had to pay $1700 over and above what Medicare covered, but it was money well spent. Also did 1 eye at a time, and had a Mono-focal oil put in my right eye, which Medicare covered 100% .

One of the simplest procedures I have ever had done, and with amazing results. Only issue was putting in several eye drops 4 times a day.

hckynut  🇺🇸

hckynut(john)
Respected Contributor

Had it done four years ago one eye at a time... came home shortly after no issues at all..fully awake during procedure which lasted about eight minutes approximately....some have drops before and after surgery..the surgeon I had does what's called dropless cataract surgery...