Honored Contributor

Having a Vascular Screening over 60

I read that this was a good thing to do.  I asked my doctor about it and she said that insurance does not cover it... I would have to drive about 20 miles to the place that does this.  It costs about $200/  I thought it was something that was done like blood work or colonoscopy etc... EKG etc as you age?  I guess I was wrong.

Have any of you had this done? Do you feel it is important even if you health is good as a preventative? 

Honored Contributor

Re: Having a Vascular Screening over 60

Yes, SeaMaiden, I think it's a very good thing to do for your health.  They can find blockage in arteries.  Blockage was found in my carotid artery in my neck.  I needed a dye test after that to find out the extent of the blockage.  It was 80% and had to have surgery to remove the blockage.  I was a stroke waiting to happen.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

@Sweet Caroline 1 wrote:

Yes, SeaMaiden, I think it's a very good thing to do for your health.  They can find blockage in arteries.  Blockage was found in my carotid artery in my neck.  I needed a dye test after that to find out the extent of the blockage.  It was 80% and had to have surgery to remove the blockage.  I was a stroke waiting to happen.  

@Sweet Caroline 1

That's how one of my brothers is. He kept getting dizzy & fainting.

They won't do surgery because he does not have any Insurance. He's a stroke waiting to happen.

Honored Contributor

I periodically receive the recommended screening  dates in my area through the mail. I don't know how many times I considered going for the tests and didn't.  My personal opinion is that any medical test which can detect a health issue and prevent it is definitely worth the money. Because of this post I will be making an appointment for the screenings when they are available .  If you decide to go, I hope all the tests result in good health.

Honored Contributor

Most insurance companies will cover screenings if a patient is symptomatic or has risk factors.

Respected Contributor

@Trinity11 wrote:

Most insurance companies will cover screenings if a patient is symptomatic or has risk factors.

Or they will set up a payment plan that the patient can afford, there is also other help available if qualified.  I have never heard of anyone being denied by the doctor because they didn't have insurance or their insurance wouldn't cover something and I've worked in the business for over 20 yrs.

These services can't be given for free or our health providers wouldn' be here.  You wouldn't believe the number of people that don't pay for their healthcare services and we had to eat all those losses.

Honored Contributor

@Sweet Caroline 1 wrote:

@Sweet Caroline 1  How old were you at the time, may I ask?  Were you someone with no other health issues at all....and it was totally out of the blue?  No high cholesterol, heart issues or the like?  80% blockage seems like the doctor would be able to hear that going on with his stethoscope?

Valued Contributor

[ Edited ]

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Sweet Caroline 1 wrote:

@Sweet Caroline 1  How old were you at the time, may I ask?  Were you someone with no other health issues at all....and it was totally out of the blue?  No high cholesterol, heart issues or the like?  80% blockage seems like the doctor would be able to hear that going on with his stethoscope?

For some reason, many docs don’t do this very simple check. It should be done every time he or she sees you. It’s so easy and takes seconds to do—just a stethoscope placed over the carotid. 

If your doc doesn’t do it, ask him to. I’m glad you mentioned it, @SeaMaiden

Honored Contributor

@Ruby Laine wrote:

For some reason, many docs don’t do this very simple check. It should be done every time he or she sees you. It’s so easy and takes seconds to do—just a stethoscope placed over the carotid. 

If your doc doesn’t do it, ask him to. I’m glad you mentioned it, @SeaMaiden

@Ruby Laine  My Husband just had his physical yesterday. I asked DH   to ask his NP  who he uses now about having a vascular screening.  She checked his carotid artery with the stethoscope and told him his sounded clear, and that he could if he wanted to go have the screening done as well.   This NP was the one that caught his Aortic abdominal  aneurism  last year  when doing her "pat down"and saved his life. 

Honored Contributor

@SeaMaiden wrote:

@Sweet Caroline 1 wrote:

It was last year, I was 61 years old and had smoked for a long time.  I smoked my last cigarette when I found out.  You hear about lung cancer and heart attacks with smoking but the nicotine clogs arteries.