Respected Contributor

Re: Having Cataract Surgery Next Thursday..Anyone Have Experience With Toric Lens?

Thank you for all your encouragement.  Yes, I admit I am nervous about the procedure, but your replies have made me more at ease.  Went yesterday to the doctor to get all the eye measurements, etc, and had all (3 kinds) the eye drop prescriptions filled, which I start 2 days before the surgery and continue for 8 weeks after surgery.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Super Contributor

Re: Having Cataract Surgery Next Thursday..Anyone Have Experience With Toric Lens?

Good luck with your procedure.  In the last 6 weeks I've had both eyes done and it isn't anything to be nervous about. 

I was amazed at how clear the world looked immediately after surgery.  When your surgery is over you'll say, "That's it?" as it goes so fast. 

Grow old my body but stay young my heart
Valued Contributor

I have no experience with any of that. But I just wanted to wish you well. Smiley Happy

Honored Contributor

I just learned yesterday, while being measured for surgery, that they don't even use stitches any more! They just fit the lens into the "pocket' of tissue left by removal of the cataract. IMO this is great, because no potential stitch issues - infection, something with the knots, irritation, etc.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

For those who happen upon this thread and aren't aware, there are three basic types of implantable cataract lenses - monovision/monofocal, toric for astigmatism, and multifocal (like progressive eyeglasses).

Medicare and 90% of health insurance companies will only pay for the monofocal lens. The other two lenses are out-of-pocket for the patient, and they are expensive. It varies by state and area. I am in the high zone (lucky me) and my doctor lists $1700 for a toric lens and $2800 for the multifocal lens.

The "free" lens seems to work fine for those whose eyesight was fairly decent to start with, i.e. no thick lenses or high prescriptions. It's the people who are very, very nearsighted and/or have severe astigmatism who benefit from the other lens possibilities. I will probably be forking over for the toric lens. It's not like you can decide to change later :-(
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Occasional Contributor

All the best for your surgery