Respected Contributor

Having Cataract Surgery Next Thursday..Anyone Have Experience With Toric Lens?

Next Thursday, I will be having cataract surgery on my right eye.  The left eye is fine with no cataract.  The ophalmologist suggested a Toric Lens implant since I have an astigmatism.  Anyone have experience with a Toric Lens for cataract surgery?  Any information will be appreciated.  

Cinderella is proof that a new pair of shoes can change your life!
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Having Cataract Surgery Next Thursday..Anyone Have Experience With Toric Lens?

I don't remember the brand names of the iol, not even sure of the brand I have in my left eye. I can tell you it is a Multi-Focal iol. I too had the same as you, except I needed both eyes done. I have a Mono-Focal in my right eye and I have not worn my tri-focal glasses, or any glasses since.

@ciao_bella wrote:

Next Thursday, I will be having cataract surgery on my right eye.  The left eye is fine with no cataract.  The ophalmologist suggested a Toric Lens implant since I have an astigmatism.  Anyone have experience with a Toric Lens for cataract surgery?  Any information will be appreciated.  

hckynut(john)
Valued Contributor

Re: Having Cataract Surgery Next Thursday..Anyone Have Experience With Toric Lens?

I had both eyes done in March.  One with a regular type lens and the other with a Toric for the same reason as you.  They were done 2 weeks apart and everything in the operation seemed the same to me.

I am still quite light sensitive but it's easy to wear sunglasses in the summer.  I have 4 pair of Joan's sunglasses, all the same style in different colors.

i do hope my eyes adjust to the light better as time goes on, but it is a treat to go to the movies or drive without glasses.

Good luck to you and DONT worry about this proceedure.... it is a snap to go through.

Valued Contributor

I forgot to add that the Toric was more expensive than the regular and in my case my insurance didn't cover the difference.  The thing is, if I hadn't had the Toric in that other eye, I would have had to supliment with glasses for both close-up and distance.  I need readers for close up, but that's all.

Honored Contributor

Good luck with your surgery!

I'm having surgery next month. I find out Thursday what lens my doctor recommends, but I'm kind of assuming it'll be toric as the eye to be operated on is very astigmatic. Big price difference for me between toric ($1600) and multifocal ($2700!). Nothing has been said about my other eye yet, but after surgery there will be a HUGE difference, so I'm going to push a little for other eye surgery.
Life without Mexican food is no life at all
Honored Contributor

I hope we can "see" (yes, pun intended) this thread continue because I'll be facing this in the next year and would love to hear your experiences.

Honored Contributor

@ciao_bella wrote:

A toric lens is not a name brand, nor is it a multifocal lens.  It is a lens that is used for patients with astigmatism.

I have a very pronounced astigmatism in both eyes.  That means my eye shape is oval, instead of round.  A toric lens will gently reshape your eye into a round shape and improve your vision.  Even wearing glasses will not improve your sight as well as the lens.

I have had catarect surgery on one eye only.  I can tell you that I see better out of that eye than I do with the other one that I had LASIK surgery done on.  I actually lost a line of vision with LASIK..  I would recommend a toric lens to everyone who's doctor suggests it.

Best of luck to you.  BTW.  Cataract surgery is scary to think about, but it's easy peasy as far as the procedure and healing goes.

Respected Contributor

I paid 5k out of pocket for my cataract surgery last fall. I have the Restor brand lens in both eyes and I no longer need glasses at all, after having worn them for 50 years. I had a lot of astigmatism in both eyes. Cataract surgery is a breeze, it's the drops afterwards that's a nuisance. Good luck!
Super Contributor

I just found out on Friday that I have cataracts beginning in both eyes.  Bummer, but my husband had surgery for both eyes last year and he says it's a piece of cake.  He wears no glasses at all at 67 and he was practically blind before.  No astigmatism though/

Regular Contributor

I had cataract surgery in both eyes a few years ago, and just had the regular lens put in so I can't comment on different types of lenses.  But I wanted to tell you not to worry or to be apprehensive.  I was too, the first time, but the procedure took about 15 minutes and I was home within a couple of hours.  The next day at my post-op appointment I was the happiest girl ever because my eyesight was perfect!  Same thing with both surgeries.  Plus, I was back to work a day after.  You will think it is the best thing you've ever done, honestly.  I have had no problems since. I only wear glasses now for reading and some computer work but otherwise no glasses!! 

Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a hard battle.