Esteemed Contributor

Re: Have you suffered with illness from a young age?

On 2/2/2015 lucylover64 said: Thank you for starting this thread, OP! I am sorry you are experiencing all that you are. I was involved in 2 car accidents within one year of each other when I was about 28. I was finally diagnosed with cervical bulging discs and spinal stenosis....and most recently with TMJ. I am now 50 and still dealing with all of the pain and ways to manage it. Sometimes I do get very discouraged yet I also have accepted this is my reality....and things could be much worse. I have learned to take things one day at a time, do what I can when having good days, limit myself when the days aren't so good, and seek the help from other options ( i.e. chiropractor, massage, muscle relaxers, etc). Sometimes I get down and think how unfair it is but then also now lucky I am because things aren't worse. Be good to yourself physically, mentally, spiritually, and emotionally. They are all connected. I read positive affirmations/daily readings to inspire me, workout as am able, and work on stress management. It is a process for sure....some great days and some not so good. Do what you can when you can and give yourself credit for each good experience! Best wishes!
Thanks lucylover 64, Your reality sounds so much like mine. When I'm good I'm great when I'm bad I'm pretty much bedridden. Weather plays a big role in it. I have had very few good days since Christmas and this could probably last until Spring. I wish you well and I would like to thank everyone that shared their stories.
Honored Contributor

On 2/2/2015 panda lady said:

NoelSeven, Thank you for sharing your story! Lupus has made its way into the lives of some of my friends. It really is a blessing to have a family that is always there for you! I don't know what I would do without them! I know that you cherish those precious furbabies and the unconditional love they give you!

I understand what you mean about living in pain. Although my family understands and supports me, I don't want to be a burden and usually just keep how I am truly feeling to myself. I know that I cannot always do that because my DH sees right through my poor acting abilities.

I am so glad this thread was started. We all come from different walks of life and live with different afflictions but we have one thing in common, the need for support. Not only the support of family and friends but also from those who have the understanding of a life in pain. My hope is to continue encouraging others!{#emotions_dlg.wub}

panda lady,

That was so sweet of you to write back to me Smile Yes, we all do need encouragement, sometimes it's the only good thing going for us.

I read your post about suffering from tuberous sclerosis. You certainly have had a difficult time, I am so sorry you've gone through all of that. I understand your not wanting to be a burden to your family, I feel the same way. Sometimes, to spare others worrying about us, we just say nothing about what we're going through.

I hope your friends with lupus are doing OK. It's a tough struggle.

Again, thank you for your kindness {#emotions_dlg.wub}

A Thrill Of Hope The Weary World Rejoices
Honored Contributor

Pray for God's will in your lives and that you are willing to accept and work toward the goals you feel he wants you to achieve. You are put where you are for a reason. We all are. I do have a chronic pain issue and systemic autoimmune disease, but I know there is a season and a reason. There are days when I feel great and I try too hard and get kicked back into the corner. I know that many of you know that feeling. I want to give each day my best but there are days when I am just a piece of statuary but not my mind, and I try to use it to read, pray, or do something creative, if only on the CPU or iPad. As long as we have vision, hearing and/or some mobility, we have to keep going and going and going. All are and will be in my prayers, all those chronically ill for any reason and I pray that you will be restored to a form of health that can serve others and yourself. Remember John Milton who said "...that one talent which is death to hide lodged with me useless...to serve there with my maker and present......they also serve who only stand and wait..." Do your best. Pray for others. Serve others. That service will be returned to you.

Respected Contributor

Thanks for this thread. I am 63 and I have been ill since 19. I have had 29 kidney stones and 15 surgeries including a hysterectomy and then 6 months later my first pancreatic surgery (tumor) thank God benign. After that I had a second pancreatic surgery, again benign tumor and did not spread to liver. I was then diagnosed with Breast Cancer and in 2004 was hit by a car. I get migraines every 2-3 weeks for 3 days each time. Needless to say, I have constant pain on a daily basis and I extremely limited with the food that I can eat because of the lack of 3/4 of my pancreas. I have zero desire to eat but I have to force myself to eat. I have to take RX enzymes to digest what I can eat. I am now facing Diabetes. My husband is not well either. he has had Colon Cancer and 2 back surgeries. He also lives in pain and is constantly in the bathroom all day because of his colon. I tell you these problems because I believe, as long as we can get up in the morning, breath, move around, spend some time with our family, and get out occasionally, we have to be thankful. I am not a religious person but I thank God every day for what I have. I have a wonderful husband, daughter and grandson. So, I feel lucky. Each day is a challenge and an uphill battle but I am up to it and I intend to fight every day for another day tomorrow. The doctors tell me that I will have more tumors on my pancreas and they may spread to my liver but that day has not come yet. I take MRI's CT scans, bloods, nuclear tests constantly. Push on ladies as hard as you can. Every day is a gift. My heartfelt love goes to all of you.
Happiness is not a destination, it is a way of life.
Honored Contributor

On 2/3/2015 Coquille said: Thanks for this thread. I am 63 and I have been ill since 19. I have had 29 kidney stones and 15 surgeries including a hysterectomy and then 6 months later my first pancreatic surgery (tumor) thank God benign. After that I had a second pancreatic surgery, again benign tumor and did not spread to liver. I was then diagnosed with Breast Cancer and in 2004 was hit by a car. I get migraines every 2-3 weeks for 3 days each time. Needless to say, I have constant pain on a daily basis and I extremely limited with the food that I can eat because of the lack of 3/4 of my pancreas. I have zero desire to eat but I have to force myself to eat. I have to take RX enzymes to digest what I can eat. I am now facing Diabetes. My husband is not well either. he has had Colon Cancer and 2 back surgeries. He also lives in pain and is constantly in the bathroom all day because of his colon. I tell you these problems because I believe, as long as we can get up in the morning, breath, move around, spend some time with our family, and get out occasionally, we have to be thankful. I am not a religious person but I thank God every day for what I have. I have a wonderful husband, daughter and grandson. So, I feel lucky. Each day is a challenge and an uphill battle but I am up to it and I intend to fight every day for another day tomorrow. The doctors tell me that I will have more tumors on my pancreas and they may spread to my liver but that day has not come yet. I take MRI's CT scans, bloods, nuclear tests constantly. Push on ladies as hard as you can. Every day is a gift. My heartfelt love goes to all of you.

Coquille,

My heart goes out to you. I totally agree with your philosophy.

Super Contributor

I have suffered from congenital back problems most of my life. As a kid would get bad pains in my legs, starting in my 20's had to start going to chiropractor, neurologist, orthopedic surgeon, physical therapy. I thank goodness I have been able to live a somewhat normal life, have had two children naturally. I'm 53 years old now and can manage my conditions and pain pretty well. I'm thankful I can still walk.

Contributor

I got Crohn's at 19 and finally had surgery in my 50's that resulted in remission ever since. Before that childbirth and breastfeeding also gave me long remissions. I now know what it feels like to not be sick. I will also celebrate 50 years on the Ski Patrol next year so my challenges have never held me back. So far even one small grandchild. Thank goodness for modern medicine or I might have died in either one of my births or in the really bad flare that almost killed me. You just keep putting one foot in front of the other and keep going. When I was young I felt sorry for myself and different but you grow up and put that behind you.

Honored Contributor

As far back as I can remember into my childhood, I suffered with digestive issues. My parents just accepted my problems as a nervous stomach type thing and rolled with it. When I was in my early 30's, a prolonged illness sent me to an ENT, where I had a battery of tests, including allergy tests, that revealed the root of my problem. Food allergies and food intolerances. I am allergic to corn, wheat, tomatoes, potatoes, citrus, milk and egg whites. I am highly intolerant of mushrooms, honey, soy, olives, and numerous other things. I spent my childhood eating many of these foods every single day. My citrus, milk and egg white allergy scores are very high----my dad encouraged me to drink a lot of milk, and mom pushed the orange juice at the slightest sniffle. My parents never suspected my issues were connected to the food I ate. As an adult, I now see how my food issues have seriously dominated my life. I eat the same foods all the time. I have no curiosity, or interest in trying anything new. I do not like to eat out, and in situations when I have to eat in a restaurant, my safe foods are beef and chicken in the plainest form available. I will not eat at church dinners, or family reunions, nor do I eat anyone's cooking except my own. I have reached a point in my life where I am tired of being sick from the food I eat, so I have learned to say no to invitations, and do what is right for me. I realize this is entirely different from the serious physical illnesses other posters have dealt with since childhood, but I am here to say that food allergies can be very debilitating and stressful as well.
Valued Contributor

Hello to all,

I am sorry about the early onset of illness to all of you. I know what it is like to be sick daily. My illness with multiple sclerosis did not begin until I was 33 and that has been difficult for me. I have been sick for 15 years now. I had to retire early and I don't get out like I used too. I am encouraged by those of you who have always known sickness. I know that it has not been easy. I pray that you all continue live your lives the best that you can and that the rest of your lives are filled with a lack of pain and difficulty.

Honored Contributor

On 2/6/2015 RedTop said: As far back as I can remember into my childhood, I suffered with digestive issues. My parents just accepted my problems as a nervous stomach type thing and rolled with it. When I was in my early 30's, a prolonged illness sent me to an ENT, where I had a battery of tests, including allergy tests, that revealed the root of my problem. Food allergies and food intolerances. I am allergic to corn, wheat, tomatoes, potatoes, citrus, milk and egg whites. I am highly intolerant of mushrooms, honey, soy, olives, and numerous other things. I spent my childhood eating many of these foods every single day. My citrus, milk and egg white allergy scores are very high----my dad encouraged me to drink a lot of milk, and mom pushed the orange juice at the slightest sniffle. My parents never suspected my issues were connected to the food I ate. As an adult, I now see how my food issues have seriously dominated my life. I eat the same foods all the time. I have no curiosity, or interest in trying anything new. I do not like to eat out, and in situations when I have to eat in a restaurant, my safe foods are beef and chicken in the plainest form available. I will not eat at church dinners, or family reunions, nor do I eat anyone's cooking except my own. I have reached a point in my life where I am tired of being sick from the food I eat, so I have learned to say no to invitations, and do what is right for me. I realize this is entirely different from the serious physical illnesses other posters have dealt with since childhood, but I am here to say that food allergies can be very debilitating and stressful as well.

My daughter has similar problems so I understand what you're going through. I used to encourage her to eat her vegetables, never knowing they gave her pain and made her sick. It took years for an IBS diagnosis for her, which explained a lot.

She's a young adult now and only recently developed a food allergy to onions. Strictly speaking, it's a food "sensitivity." It's very serious, she has to carry an EPI pen.

Eating out is almost impossible for her. We've had waiters assure us there is no onion in a dish, only to have her take one bite and start swelling up.

I've read where food allergies are so common now, there is more funding for research and treatment. I sure hope so, for your sake and my daughter's Smile