Honored Contributor

Have you or anyone you know had this specific diagnosis

Adenoid cystic breast carcinoma

Honored Contributor

Re: Have you or anyone you know had this specific diagnosis

I had adenocyctic breast carcinoma back in 1983. I was told  It is considered to be least invasive and the easiest to cure. It is unusual for it to spread. Since that was 33 years ago I'd say that worked out for me. I had a lumpectomy and radiation. 

Honored Contributor

Thank you so much.  That is exactly what I was told.  I had a lumpectomy because of the small size and had another titanium implant to mark the place and am to get more frequent mammograms.  This admiinistration's healthcare was that m-grams every 5 years at my age was enough and I was in my 4th year when I felt this.  It required several mammograms, ultrasounds, biopsies, etc, because at first it was felt to be a "cyst."  Adenocystic breast disease is neither cystic, adenoid or fibroid so  although they felt they knew what it was, they had to be quite certain so I went through several months of diagnostics and finally had the lumpectomy.  

Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

I was only 34 and had only gotten married 6 weeks before I found my lump. It was large so my  lumpectomy took out about a third of the breast tissue. Now I am a B cup on one side and a D on the other so I have to wear a prothesis on the rt. I think I had every 6 month mammos for about 5 years then back to the regular yearly ones. Now I get special  spiral digital ones that I have to go up to Sarasota for due to having a + BRAC gene. I've ended up with so many breast biopsies and MRIs of my breasts over the years that I have lost track.

Honored Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

Thank you so much.  That is exactly what I was told.  I had a lumpectomy because of the small size and had another titanium implant to mark the place and am to get more frequent mammograms.  This admiinistration's healthcare was that m-grams every 5 years at my age was enough and I was in my 4th year when I felt this.  It required several mammograms, ultrasounds, biopsies, etc, because at first it was felt to be a "cyst."  Adenocystic breast disease is neither cystic, adenoid or fibroid so  although they felt they knew what it was, they had to be quite certain so I went through several months of diagnostics and finally had the lumpectomy.  

I don't think schedules for mammos has anything to do with this admin. It has to do with the statistics and that breast cancer is rare in younger women, plus younger breasts are dense and difficult to image successfully.

Honored Contributor

@151949 wrote:

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

I don't think schedules for mammos has anything to do with this admin. It has to do with the statistics and that breast cancer is rare in younger women, plus younger breasts are dense and difficult to image successfully.

No, the decision was made that older ladies would not get mammograms regularly as they once had since we are "supposedly" in an age group that does not have breast cance.  I first saw a lady in charge somebody from the Administration explaining this on one of the good morning programs a few yeas back.  Maybe about 2010.

Honored Contributor

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

@151949 wrote:

@NameAlreadyTaken wrote:

No, the decision was made that older ladies would not get mammograms regularly as they once had since we are "supposedly" in an age group that does not have breast cance.  I first saw a lady in charge somebody from the Administration explaining this on one of the good morning programs a few yeas back.  Maybe about 2010.

Statistically older women get breast cancer much more often than younger women. That is why younger women are not routinely screened plus what I said about dense tissue being difficult to image.