Respected Contributor

Re: Have you or anyone close to you gotten virus

@ID2 wrote:

I just find it very, very strange that no one knows anyone personally that has been officially tested positive for this virus. Woman Frustrated

I know an ER physician who caught it ( presumably) treating patients in the Detroit metro area. He gave it to his girlfriend. He was very sick but not hospitalized. She was sick but not as badly.

They both were tested and positive. It has been close to a  month and he still does not have the stamina to return to work. He is 60.

I also know two firefighters, again Detroit area. Both tested positive. One said it was the worst illness of his life, the other said it was minor. Both are back to work. Late 30's.

A second cousin and his wife both had it. Again Detroit area. Both test positive and has fairly moderate symptoms. He is a paramedic. In their 30's.

An elderly woman I know had it (80) and recovered enough to go to a nursing home. She was living at home up to that time. It is doubtful she will ever go home due to lung and kidney damage. She did not end up on a vent.

So off the top of my head I know 7 people who tested positive.

Contributor

My husband just called me from his office. He has been cut down to part time and many of his co-workers were furloughed. They are staggering the remaining workers so not everyone is in the office at one time to be as safe as possible.

One co-worker just announced to everyone that he had been very sick in January and thought he had the virus. He was out sick for a long period of time in January.  Apparently he was able to get tested recently with the help of his wife who works in healthcare.

He said he got confirmation that he had it in January and now has antibodies. Once he's cleared to do so, he'll donate blood to help others he said.

But - he was positive in January and running around not knowing it and interacting with dozens of other people!  That is frightening! 

So far, that is the only person I know who has tested positive. Be Safe Everyone.

Valued Contributor

Airline update,

The department where my husband did work, 21 co-workers (so far) have tested positive.

These are younger healthy guys and gals 30's, 40's, and 50's.

Have not heard if any had any underlying ailments.

Not many flying.  Soon that airline from here, a hub, will go from almost 300 flights a day to 27 -50 a day.

His last day was April 1.

Respected Contributor

@granddi wrote:

@granddi wrote:

@granddi wrote:

YES.....a dear friend male age 72. He was diagnosed on Monday.By Saturday he is on respirator in guarded condition. 

He lives in the Dallas area. We are very shaken.

At day 7, the doctors say he is going "in the right direction" If any of you have friends/family who are hospitalized keep good thoughts and prayers. 

He is off the ventilator after 2 weeks! At week 3, his wife has still not been permitted a visit but phone visits are arranged. He is a bit confused and very weak. Reading about the recovery, it looks like it can be long and difficult. 

We got news today that our friend has been transfered to long term care. A month ago when he was given a poor prognosis. We did not know that he would have to beat some sobering statistics to even survive the ventilator. I am anxious to know about his treatment. Since there is no standard of care for COVID patients, someday maybe we will know more about what treatments were the most successful. 

Everyone be smart, be safe..........

Esteemed Contributor

@shoppersince1989 wrote:

Airline update,

The department where my husband did work, 21 co-workers (so far) have tested positive.

These are younger healthy guys and gals 30's, 40's, and 50's.

Have not heard if any had any underlying ailments.

Not many flying.  Soon that airline from here, a hub, will go from almost 300 flights a day to 27 -50 a day.

His last day was April 1.

@shoppersince1989   Are these flight attendants that you are speaking of?  My daughter is a flight attendant.  She hasn't flown for a couple weeks, but is scheduled to fly next week.  This is scary.  Did the airlines do the testing?  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

Coronavirus took my Aunt on 4-18-20.  She was 95 and resided in a nursing home. 

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Valued Contributor

My mother-in-law, who is in a nursing home, just tested positive for the virus. She had a slight fever last week and a low oxygen level---but her oxygen level is erratic as she is 94 years old and was a heavy smoker for 70 years. She is eating normally and doesn't even have a cough. There are two residents her nursing home that also tested positive, but they are symptomatic. Right now she is getting Tylenol and five days of that anit-malaria drug, per her doctor's orders. That's all I know.

Honored Contributor

One of my SIL's son got tested They told him he was negative but to quarantine for 14 days because the test is not accurate?

Trusted Contributor

My PCP has scheduled me to be tested tomorrow morning. I have been having intermittent symptoms for about 1 1/2 weeks but have just been taking Tylenol and not thinking much about it. On Friday, I started experiencing severe heart palpitations/arrhythmia that is still ongoing. Called my PCP today and she wants to do an EKG, bloodwork, etc but is concerned that I may have corona virus. I can't go to her office for further evaluation until I test negative. I have a tentative appt with her on Friday, pending my test results. Ugh! Fingers crossed that I test negative and am not experiencing cardiac issues! I feel pretty lousy and also very nervous!😷
Honored Contributor

@hooked on books  I hope things go well, that you are feeling better soon, and that you can keep that appointment with your doctor on Friday. 

I’m holding you close in my thoughts and prayers.