Respected Contributor

Re: Have you or anyone close to you gotten virus

Living in NY I know a numbeer of people who have tested postive of all ages and backgrounds. Symptoms vary but most common to start are fever, cough, and exteme lethargy. Thankfully, to date, nobody has passed.

One of lmy closest friends called me up this morning. She is a RN in a local hospital's ER. She was crying how she doesn't know how much more she can take and she knows it's only the beginning. She said that 5 people died in the ER yesterday and doesn't know how many more that were already admitted. She is working with inadequate PPE to keep herself safe and is doing her best to try to find supplies on her own. I was able to give her 2 Tyvek coveralls that I had bought for painting and a pair of goggles I had laying around as well as some gloves. I wish I had more to give her.

'I refuse to engage in a battle of wits with an unarmed man'.......Unknown
Valued Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

@embgm  I hope your niece stays healthy.  My thoughts and prayers for your family! 

Her life has been turned upside down along with everyone else's. She was teaching nursing clinicals, working and set to graduate as a nurse practitioner in June. All that is on hold now while this virus continues to spread. 

Honored Contributor

@embgm wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

@embgm  I hope your niece stays healthy.  My thoughts and prayers for your family! 

Her life has been turned upside down along with everyone else's. She was teaching nursing clinicals, working and set to graduate as a nurse practitioner in June. All that is on hold now while this virus continues to spread. 

@embgm  a lot of things are on hold right now.  I just hope we can get over the peak soon.  I know health care workers are putting their lives on the line.  They are owed a huge debt of gratitude.

Super Contributor

@embgm wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

Cannot even imagine what it is like for you, your family.  Will keep you all in my thoughts.  Am just so very much in awe of your niece, everyone on the front lines.  We owe them all so very much.  Stay well❤

Valued Contributor

@Bri369 wrote:

@embgm wrote:

@Bri369 wrote:

@embgm  a lot of things are on hold right now.  I just hope we can get over the peak soon.  I know health care workers are putting their lives on the line.  They are owed a huge debt of gratitude.

Before this outbreak her concern was continuing her studies for a few more months . She is so excited to enhance her career as a nurse practitioner. Life changes in an instant and her concerns now are caring for her patients while not getting infected herself!  Her graduation will happen in due time!

Esteemed Contributor

Not yet but a parent of one of our friends who happens to live in California are ill.  

Esteemed Contributor

[ Edited ]

@tends2dogs wrote:

I am wondering if any have come off a ventilator and recovered.

I don't know anyone that has tested positive or has symptoms.  

@tends2dogs 

A man who lives in my area was hospitalized for a couple of weeks on a ventilator, with many ups and downs.  He is finally off the ventilator and doing better.  I don't know him personally, but his wife made his case public to try to get people to understand that this isn't just an "old people's" disease.  This man is a 45 year old lawyer who was in good health.

Edited to add that he was tested and was positive for CV.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Esteemed Contributor

@ID2 wrote:

I just find it very, very strange that no one knows anyone personally that has been officially tested positive for this virus. Woman Frustrated

huh?  In my metro area (NOLA) people are testing positive left and right.  They are estimating we will be out of hospital beds by Sunday.  The convention center is curently being turned into a hospital.

"Breathe in, breathe out, move on." Jimmy Buffett
Honored Contributor

Not at this time.  

There are many elements: wind, fire, water
But none quite like the element of surprise
Honored Contributor

[ Edited ]

My sister has the virus.  She's 56 with no respiratory issues.  She lives in CT.  She tested positive 8 days ago.  By her symptoms, I figured she'd be positive.  Her early symptoms were 104 temp, coughing, sore throat and extreme tiredness. 

The cough and sore throat lasted three days.  The extreme tiredness lasted six days.  The fever goes up and down.  It was normal for two days, then went up.  She has to have a normal temp for three straight days to be on the road to recovery.  Today she felt good and had a normal temp.