Trusted Contributor

Re: Have you had a flu shot yet?

Yes.  I always schedule an appointment at our local CVS for early September.  Got mine last week.  So easy - simple to schedule an appointment, easy location to get to, super nice nurse - have had her 2 years in a row, and paid @ 100% by insurance.

Honored Contributor

@Mindy D wrote:

@Carmie @Here is a hot tip. Alcohol is ineffective for killing Norovirus. I use a small plastic bag to cover metal rails when I walk down stairways and I never push elevator buttons with my fingers or touch the doors or door handles to buildings, especially doctors offices. I've done the same with the handle on my food cart when grocery shopping. I don't cruise, but I'd do the same there. I don't shake hands either. Before COVID, I washed my hands whenever I could. I also never share the serving utensils at a salad bar. Weak bleach and water solution does kill the virus on non porous surfaces. I don't remember if Lysol kills it. I'll have to look at the cab again. 

Thanks,  you sound a lot like me.  I try not to touch doors, grocery carts and handles on anything..especially at the grocery stores.  I never touch my face while out shopping.  When I get into my car, I have bacteria and virus killing wipes handy and wipe down my steering wheel and keys.

As soon as I get home, I wash my hands. I never use hand sanitizer...it doesn't work.  I have been doing this for years.    I have never  had the flu, and haven't had a cold in maybe 20 years or so.

I get stomach viruses easily, but haven't had one since I retired 12 years ago.  I think my coworkers with small kids brought it to work with them. The healthcare insurance company I worked for would pentalize you for calling  in sick, so it would not  be unusual to see people vomiting into their trash cans at their desk occasionally.

Trusted Contributor

I am still unclear on when the Moderna booster will be out. Would like to get the booster and the flu shots a couple of weeks apart. Wanted to wait on the flu shot but pcp says to get it now so I'll do that if the pharmacy where aI usually get it isn't busy our dr offices don't give the flu shots or the Covid vaccines due to the large number of people being on the small offices. 

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

I sure wouldn't worry about a flu shot.  They are warning everyone that there is measles, malaria, and tuberculosis plus many more entering this country.  

Please be careful where you go and who you encounter.

@Just Bling, I am not sure about the statement that measles, malaria, and tuberculosis are entering the country?  They are here and have been here on a regular basis for years.  It is normal for the US to have cases of measles, malaria, and tuberculosis every year. 

The number of cases of measles will depend on the number of unvaccinated children in a particular area and how many adults they may come into contact with.  It is not unusual to have around 2,000 or so cases of malaria reported in the United States every year. Malaria is a mosquito borne disease that is not spread from person to person so taking proper precautions to ward off mosquito bites is excellent protection & can totally prevent cases of malaria.  

Cases of tuberculosis have been on the decline over the past several years, but there are still around 8,000-10,000 cases of TB reported annually and occurs in every single state.  Cases will fluctuate where we have outbreaks in certain areas and numbers rise for one year and then level off another year.  Tuberculosis is caused by a bacterium and active cases can be successfully treated with medications.  As a side note, it will be very interesting to see when they are able to tabulate the data for reported TB cases year 2020.  TB typically occurs in communal areas so due to masking and social distancing the case numbers likely dropped sharply over that year.  Will be interesting to see. 

Influenza is currently a far more serious threat to people in the United States than measles, malaria, and TB.   But still very good advice to be very careful this winter. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Respected Contributor

[ Edited ]

@pitdakota 

Apparently the MSM isn't aware so that was the headline I read.

Actually just search measles, malaria and you'll see a entire page of stories from various sources. 

Respected Contributor

@Just Bling wrote:

@pitdakota 

Apparently the MSM isn't aware so that was the headline I read.

Actually just search measles, malaria and you'll see a entire page of stories from various sources. 

@Just Bling, got ya.  Anytime we have people from other countries, cases of measles and malaria will occur  since those diseases are far more common in other countries.     Malaria not a concern, it is not transmitted from person to person.   Most recently, I think around 2019 we had a pretty signficant outbreak of measles in the NY area due to a foreign traveler.  Generally the people at risk are those that are unvaccinated for measles.  At any rate, vaccinations for measles is highly effective. 

* Freedom has a taste the protected will never know *
Honored Contributor

Nope, don't plan to get one either.

Time is just a drop in the bucket compared to eternity. It isn’t how long you live that matters; it is how well you are prepared to die. ~~Colonel Robert B. Thieme, Jr.
Honored Contributor

@Duckncover wrote:

I am still unclear on when the Moderna booster will be out. Would like to get the booster and the flu shots a couple of weeks apart. Wanted to wait on the flu shot but pcp says to get it now so I'll do that if the pharmacy where aI usually get it isn't busy our dr offices don't give the flu shots or the Covid vaccines due to the large number of people being on the small offices. 

Moderna has announced that they are working on a Covid booster that also protects against the flu..stay tuned.

Trusted Contributor

We will get ours this year, just like every year, but always wait until mid October. Hopefully all the pharmacies have a good supply. 

Esteemed Contributor

@haddon9 wrote:

No and I don't plan on getting one.  I haven't had a flu shot since the mid 1990s and haven't gotten the flu since 1974.  

If someone should come along and tell me that my immune system weakens over time and I have a greater chance of getting sick, I realize that.  However my vitamin D level is 65 and I hope to maintain that among other things that I do to keep healthy.

I also had a neighbor across the street from me get his senior flu shot last October and had to be hospitalized for three days immediately after getting it.

I have my D level checked every year during my check up.  Mine was 125.  The clinic I go to (a preventive clinic) likes to have it around 100.  I was told to go off my D for 3 weeks and then resume.  

Fear not Brothers and Sisters! I have read THE BOOK..........we win!!!